do you sew?

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
last year I sold my brother pacesetter machine and very basic brother embroidery machine and moved up to a babylock sewing/embroidery combo. The ellageo did things that neither of the stand alone machines did but i found myself embroidering less because you had to add the computer module, change the needle , presser foot and throat plate.

so friday i saw in my fav sewing magazine that babylock had a promo on machines and hauled myself over to the dealer and got a decorators choice (sewing only) so I can leave my ellageo in embroidery mode all the time. Man do I ADORE new this machine. It feels like a fine car and has an amazing array of stitch combos and even cuts the thread and threads the needle automatically. WOW.

Who else sew? I know two machines is a luxury but it's my major hobbie after reading.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sew a little, but I just have a regular ol' Singer that I bought at one of their "school model" sales- but the machine I got is the next step up, as they were out of the basics

I think those machines you have are wonderful
(they sold them at the sewing store where I took a beginner class
). I just don't have a lot of time to get into a big project, but I really like to sew
. I sewed my dog's new bed last time I had it out

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sew a bit. I'd love to get into embroidery but it's a bit more of an investment than I'm ready for. I have done some simple stuff by hand though. Matter of fact I'm getting ready to hem some of Sierra's pants. Thats the main reason why I got into sewing. She's big around the tummy but shorter than the pants that fit her tummy are. So I have to alter all her pants.

Here are some of some other stuff I've done. Not counting the endless amount of pants I've fixed for her.
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...hchild/Sewing/

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did some sewing last year and I made a pillowcase and fun pajama pants with penguins on them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I sew a bit.Here are some of some other stuff I've done. Not counting the endless amount of pants I've fixed for her.
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...hchild/Sewing/
those photos pictures are great. I think I will do that too and I love your toile pillow with the blue and white lace ruffle. My first embroidery machine was $150 on ebay and while I out grew it within a few years it really got me started. Now I have a laptop hooked up to my machine to edit and change designs. the problem with machine embroidery is all the extras needed that are never reflected in the price of the machine: stabilizers special threads, designs etc . It's a money pit if you fall into it.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

those photos pictures are great. I think I will do that too and I love your toile pillow with the blue and white lace ruffle. My first embroidery machine was $150 on ebay and while I out grew it within a few years it really got me started. Now I have a laptop hooked up to my machine to edit and change designs. the problem with machine embroidery is all the extras needed that are never reflected in the price of the machine: stabilizers special threads, designs etc . It's a money pit if you fall into it.
Yep I've already done a lot of research on the many different machines. I had planned on buying one with our tax money however things came up and we needed the money for other things.
That pillow was a gift to hubbys mother for Christmas. And we never did get to mail it so it's still wrapped up in my car.
I guess she will get it the next time we go visit her in Ohio.

Oh and if your wondering what the one is with Pooh bear it's a blanket that my mothers cat was buried in. Mom didn't want her to be "uncomfortable" in her afterlife. There's a thread about it somewhere around here. It's even lined to make it soft...

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I've been sewing most of my life! From making Barbie clothes when I was young to sewing most of my clothes in high school (including my prom dress) to making/selling craft items. My high school clothes were made on my Mom's Singer treadle machine. When I started working after high school, my first major expenditure was a Sear electric machine. I believe I paid $60 for it. What a luxury that was! I used it until last year when my DH got me a new machine. (I used that Sears machine for 32 years, and I still have it)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to sew because it makes me relax. The last few years I've been having fun making costumes for our daughter. I have her Luminara Unduli (Jedi master) and Mermaid costume on a cosplay site. PM me if you're interested in seeing pics, and I'll send you the link!

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a machine but I don't really know how to use it. My main problem is starting off and threading the thing. How do you make sure that the thread is secure and won't just undo itself ?

Any good beginner sites?

I love to crossstitch but I don't have the time and the nerves in my back make my wrists hurt (it's not carpel tunnel but feels the same)

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love sewing. I've got one super-old sewing machine that used to be my Mom's. It's from the 70s and parts are falling off of it, but all the essential bits still work so I'm happy. But someday I WILL get a nice, new, expensive sewing machine that does all sorts of fancy things.

Does anyone have a serger? I'm getting a bit frustrated about having to deal with edges and I think a serger would really help... but I'm a bit too cheap to buy one. Anyone have any ideas about alternate ways to deal with the edges (or maybe a really good, cheap serger?!)

Also, does anyone sell their creations? I've mostly made handbags but have had to stop making them because I've got sooooo many and it gets expensive to buy all that material. Also I love to make things but really don't need all the things I make, so I'd like to sell them so I can make more things, guilt free. Other than going to craft sales (which I really don't want to do as most of my things would more appeal to younger people- not your typical craft sale person) any ideas about how I can sell them?

Oh dear, I'm sorry I got a little excited about the whole sewing topic and just chattered away for ages. Ignore me if you like please!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy sewing. Like Libby74, I started with doll clothes and made most of my clothes during junior high and high school. I made my prom dress, my wedding dress and all of my bridesmaids dresses. I still make some clothes, but only rarely now. I also worked for a short time doing alterations in a men's clothing store. I volunteer on the costume committee at the local theater and I also love to quilt. My sewing machine is a nearly 20 year old Riccar, that is pretty basic. Although it does pretty much everything that I need it to. I do have 'sewing machine envy' though. My dream machine is the Husqvarna Viking Quilt Designer II. Maybe someday when I'm rich....

Pookie & the girls

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You could try selling them on ebay.
See I'm nervous about that. I think my things are good enough quality but I'm afraid if I sell them through the Internet without someone getting a good look at them beforehand they might be disappointed. I mean, these are handmade and I don't *really* know what I'm doing, so I'm afraid they're just not good enough!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

See I'm nervous about that. I think my things are good enough quality but I'm afraid if I sell them through the Internet without someone getting a good look at them beforehand they might be disappointed. I mean, these are handmade and I don't *really* know what I'm doing, so I'm afraid they're just not good enough!
Just take lots of pictures (video if you want) and you can offer a refund policy.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Just take lots of pictures (video if you want) and you can offer a refund policy.
Well now you're just taking away all my excuses to not do this, aren't you!! That's actually a really good idea, and the extra money for more sewing projects would be great.

I'll take in under advisement.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well now you're just taking away all my excuses to not do this, aren't you!! That's actually a really good idea, and the extra money for more sewing projects would be great.

I'll take in under advisement.
lol. I've been selling off and on for many years on ebay.(Items non-sewing related) I was afraid at first. Just dip your toe in and get it wet.. I'm sure before no time you'll be a power seller.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love sewing.
Does anyone have a serger? I'm getting a bit frustrated about having to deal with edges and I think a serger would really help... but I'm a bit too cheap to buy one. Anyone have any ideas about alternate ways to deal with the edges (or maybe a really good, cheap serger?!)
Pekoe & Nigel...to avoid your seams becoming undone, just make a double seam. What I do is rather than sewing the outsides of the fabric together, I sew the undersides of the fabric together (or what will be the 'inside' of your garment)...then, steam press your seam open...then steam press it closed (with outsides of your garment together)...then just sew your seam as you normally would....you'll end up with a 'sealed' seam. It takes just a little longer time to do but once you get the hang of it, it works out nicely. Of course, most seams are either 3/4 or 5/8 inches....which means that your first seam here (the one that will end up being enclosed) will be made at around 1/4 or a little less if you can manage it...then your second final seam will be the correct size!

Good luck!
Hilda >^..^<

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I lived in Tombstone, I had a dressmaking/costuming business. I still have my heavy-duty Singer, a Euro-Pro 7-layer denim machine and a Euro-Pro 4-thread serger. Unfortunately, they are all sitting in the closet, waiting for me to have a house big enough to have a sewing room. All that I do, these days, is shorten my mom's pants.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosey

I have a machine but I don't really know how to use it. My main problem is starting off and threading the thing. How do you make sure that the thread is secure and won't just undo itself ?
stitch forward a few stitches and then back stitch two stitches and you are good to go. do the same thing at the end and you have secured the seam.

The reader's digest sewing book is a great how to book for beginners.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I bought my first serger on ebay for 150 dollars. It's an elna 634, sometimes you can find one. ( I own two now) The most important thing in a serger is easy threading because it's the threading that does most people in. Elna's are the simpliest to thread and I find bernina's the hardest. For ALOT of money you can buy a babylock that threads itself.

I have no experience w singer or brother so I dont know how well they thread.

without a serger you can do a seam finish stitch or zigzag stitch at the seams or bind them with thin chiffon on the bias ( for couture quality clothing) if you are doing mostly straight seams for home furnishings /curtains etc...a french seam can't be beat.