Need some Advice Please

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi need soom advice from you all.

The past 2 days i have noticed that Heidi has been acting a bit funny. Last night she hissed and arched her back at my daughter as she walked out of her room my daughter got upset and started crying but that was it.

Then today she has been hiding away from us all more than usual and i feel she is afraid of us.

Also i noticed the other day that some of her whiskers have been cut and she is frightenend when we try and touch her when we are playing with her.

Could someone please help on what could be wrong with her as she is worrying us EVEN my husband who didnt want her when he found out we had her (secretly he likes her caught him playing with her)

Almost forgot to ask but is it normal for her to clean herself constantly at night she just sits next to the balcony door and cleans herself.

Thanks in advance

Angela

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she go outside? It's possible that something happened to her outside that you're not aware of (whiskers cut, plus ??) and I would definitely take her to the veterinarian to be checked out as you can't see what might be wrong inside, after all, and she can't tell you. When cats hide, it usually means they don't feel well and need a doctor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Does she go outside? When cats hide, it usually means they don't feel well and need a doctor.
She doesnt go outside we live in a flat. I have only had her 5 days so i think maybe the people that had her before didnt treat her well. but i will get her to the vet next week and make sure shes ok

thanks

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have only had her for five days then I think she is still settling in - especially if she was mis-treated by her last owners, its will take her a while to relax and trust you. Her constant washing could also be a sign, like stress

Let her find her own way around your home. She will be still getting used to her new home, its smells and of course you and your family. Give her time and just take it very slow
Is she eating, drinking & pooing etc as normal ?

Keep us posted

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

Is she eating, drinking & pooing etc as normal ?
she is eating like a horse she is really enjoying the food i got for her its the juicy stuff her last owner only gave her biscuit food and it was the cheapest stuff. she is drinking fine and going to the loo normally im surprised she hasnt done the toilet anywhere else in the house only in her litter box which is a good sign.

i do think she was neglected in her last home and all i want to do is cuddle her next to me and let her know that we love her so much.

thanks for the advice
angela

cercia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cleaning is a sign the cat is relaxed, but i reckon someone secretly CUT her whiskers and now she's afraid...I mean, cats' whiskers are super-sensitive you know!!!! Don't let it happen again, for Gods' sake!!!

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
dont worry i wont be i asked my daughter and she got angry that i thought it might have been her but i can tell when shes lying and the fact that shes an animal lover i doubt she would have done it.

i just hope heidi realises that she is in a loving family now and she relaxes and doesnt feel scared of us.

thanks again
angela

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be patient with her, if she has only been there for 5 days, I think she is just trying to get used to her new home. She will come around, but she has to do it on her own I think.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like she didn't have a very good life before you got her. It may take her longer to settle in and get used to everyone. Just be gentle with her and try to avoid scaring her with any loud noises and sudden moves.

shishi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apgree with the others. Give her time to settle in and let her come to you. She will come around. As was posted earlier, cats whiskers are very sensitve so she may be a little leary of people right now. if she is not acting sickly I would say just be patient and give her time. good luck!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for them to groom themselves a lot (one of my cats is fastidious, and is often caught grooming herself), but, sometimes there is a fine line between normal and overgrooming. If she is overgrooming.. it's usually due to stress, and will probably sort itself out when her stress leaves her.

Is she acting differently from the first few days that she was there, or has she been acting this way since you got her? As someone else posted, it's very probable that she is settling in, if she's been acting this way since day 1. Have hope, though.. she will probably just take a little time and patience, and then quite possibly will be super cuddles kitty. You might spend a little time sitting near her and just talking to her, and offering her the occasional treat. If she comes to take it, don't try to pet her, just let her learn to trust you. Eventually she'll probably want rubbings.

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im so glad i found and joined this site you have all helped me so much im glad she is with us as we are animal lovers and she hopefully will realise we will treat her well even hubby who wasnt so keen to have a cat is buying her toys and treats at the shop so i think thats a good sign and the kids love her they are leaving her alone more to let her settle in.

thanks again for all your help and advice

angela

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glad you are feeling better about how your kitty is doing ...............have we had any photos of her yet.............I´m off to check .........I´ll be back