Suddenly Can Fetch?!

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maverick is being so cute today!
He never fetched anything before, but I have been wadding up paper balls while my husband and I are working at the table, and he keeps returning them to us, taking turns who he brings it to each time!

Is that odd that he suddenly learned how to fetch??

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How cute! Whenever I throw anything onto the floor, whoever gets it first runs off with whatever it is to keep the other one from getting it, so I do not think the idea of "fetching" or returning it to the thrower ever enters their minds!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Penelope is sleeping (she's 3 years older and tires easier LOL), so maybe with the lack of competition for attention, he started to realize if he brings the toy to us, we'll throw it for him much quicker!! LOL At any rate, he's still doing it, and bless his heart, has returned every one!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think almost all kitties will fetch if it's encouraged. Sho used to but he got lazy

Tomas loves to fetch, instead of rewarding him with a treat, I reward him like you would a dog.

Call him a good boy and pet him all over. Then I wonder why I get woke up in the morning by a wiggly kitten on my head wanting to play.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar didn't play fetch until he was 8 months old, suddenly started one day when we got him some real fur mice! He will only play fetch with real fur mice. Sonic on the other hand has played fetch from day one with us, and will use any toy - bought toy or any other object to hand - till receipts, door wedges, underwear

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Sonic on the other hand has played fetch from day one with us, and will use any toy - bought toy or any other object to hand - till receipts, door wedges, underwear
Underwear?!!

Lets hope he doesn't do that if company is over! Though I doubt many people would ever get the chance to ask their guests "Spare pants anyone?"

Tomas has brought me a stray superworm beetle... they're about 4cms long and kind of ugly.

(I breed insects as food for my reptiles)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Underwear?!!

Lets hope he doesn't do that if company is over!
Well he's dropped a sock or two onto my face in the morning for me to throw for him, and he's dragged my undies into his water bowl
- all clean, we put our socks and undies laundry on the bedroom radiator to dry

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Tomas has brought me a stray superworm beetle... they're about 4cms long and kind of ugly.

(I breed insects as food for my reptiles)
That would do me in. I love reptiles but I can't stand the sight of beetles and grubs, they make me feel as if I'm going to pass out - it's a proper phobia.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

he's dragged my undies into his water bowl
He's just trying to help with the laundry.
Better then socks in the litter box...

That would do me in. I love reptiles but I can't stand the sight of beetles and grubs, they make me feel as if I'm going to pass out - it's a proper phobia.
Mealworms and superworms used to really gross me out. But the things we do for our pets! I'm used to them now but I still use hemostats to pick up the worms. The superworms are ugly things that try to bite, my husband even refuses to touch them.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy when I saw this thread! Maia LOVES to fetch, she started at 3 months old! I think its hard to teach a cat something unless they want to do it......

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squee suddenly started fetching one day about a month ago. I think it's so adorable to see a little kitty running down the hall with a foam ball in its mouth.

white ravyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband sat down with our young siamese mix and taught him to fetch. he would throw the paper ball and say "Fetch it up!" and Sano would bring it back! with the ball in hand, he would prompt for certain reactions from Sano. he would hold the ball up high and in order to have the ball thrown, Sano would have to touch the ball. sometimes, he would ball up his fist with the paper ball and say "Love on me" and Sano would have to rub his face against the fist in order to have the ball thrown, but he learned it and responds well with my husband. me, on the other hand, he has trained very well. I'm a bit of a sap and will throw the ball as soon as he brings the ball arround, so he won't respond to my prompts. Sano plays me like a harp!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 4 of mine know how to fetch, it just depends on thier mood. Levi just started recently. I say it took him 4 years to learn. The truth is that the other cats are now calming down enough to let him play (he's the low man on the totem pole so he gets picked on sometimes)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Squee suddenly started fetching one day about a month ago. I think it's so adorable to see a little kitty running down the hall with a foam ball in its mouth.
I agree!!

Maverick has now started fetching with "real" toys, not just the paper wads I had made on Sunday. Last night he brought me his furrywoo (a fur mouse that now is more of a blob then anything, hence the name LOL) and I was throwing it around for him. Penelope does not approve of this fetching game, and she refuses to join in

surflou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to have a cat Oliver that would fetch little toy mice if thrown for him, I thought it was amazing, a great party trick at any rate, now I realise after owning a few more cats that they all play in different ways with their owners. I had another cat when I was younger called Cobweb who would bat a small ball back to me whenever I threw it, like a mini game of table tennis, that was fun... Kitt, who I have now will play football with me too...

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Sweetie will play fetch with her toy mouse. She will bring it back to me until she gets tired of running after it. If I'm upstairs I throw it down the steps and she runs down to get it and brings it back. I also throw it in the bathroom into the tub. She almost flies over the tub to get it. Of course I need to close the toilet seat. My other cat just watches and thinks boy is Sweetie stupid.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nellers

Maverick is being so cute today!
He never fetched anything before, but I have been wadding up paper balls while my husband and I are working at the table, and he keeps returning them to us, taking turns who he brings it to each time!

Is that odd that he suddenly learned how to fetch??
That's what happened with Sadie too. Out of the blue she brought me one of her toys and meowed at me until I played fetch with her. Before then, I tried to teach her to play fetch (imagine me throwing the ball, running after it, and then putting it at Sadie's paws), but she had no interest. Funny how they surprise you like this, isn't it?

twocatsperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one of my cats would play fetch non-stop if only humans could keep up with her
Her favorite toy is a stick with feathers on the string and she carries it after people and cries that they play with her (all the time!)

The other cat never fetches anything.

--------------------------------
http://www.kittyjournal.com