will my flu spread to my cats?

appleseed_1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 days ago i came down with a high fever. most likely the flu because its been spreading like crazy. now my fever is gone but i have a sore thraot. uno and pillo has been sleeping in the same room as me all the time.
now uno does not look so great. he has this eye pinkness thing. and he looks a bit gloomy. yes he still plays but i dont see that feeling in his eyes.
do human diseases spread to cats?
should i keep hin away from me as im still a bit sick?
i dont want to lock him outside because he's not so well and its cold outside.
Thnakyou for the advice!!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my cats have ever gotten a sickness from me. I don't think it is possible.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a few things that animals and humans can pass, some parasites and protozoans being more common. Some viruses such as the ones that cause pink eye.
Human flu isn't one of them. Look up a little about viruses and carriers.

(... I believe this is taught as early as 5th or 6th grade science/biology..)

There are species jumps, such as the bird flu that has caused some panic, but I believed that happened to people butchering and eating infected birds? There are also some that jump between primates/apes and humans, but that's whole 'nother topic.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not so sure that human colds and flu can't be passed to cats as 20 years ago we all went down with the flu (human that is). One of my cats about a week after we got rid of the flu was looking rather poorly. He was only a young cat. At that time all my cats were indoor cats only. During the day he got worse and I took him to the vet in the evening. Fearing it was cat flu I confided my worst fears to the vet. He said it was flu alright but not cat flu and asked if any of us had the flu recently. I said we had all been down with it and he said the cat had caught the flu from us. He said it doesn't happen very often but can and does happen. He gave our cat an injection and said he'd probably feel better next day - which he did and within a few days he was back to normal.

Now, some 20 years later, my husband had a heavy cold a few weeks ago and our Lucy has a really bad cold (see my other threads) and we're really concerned about her, so yes I think cats can catch the cold or flu from us but we can't catch cat flu from them.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I asked my vet about this before and she said human flu or cold can't be passed to your cat and vice versa due to strain variation. Like Strange_Wings said, parasites and bacteria/ virus such as pink eye can be passed. Maybe you should bring your cat in for a check up for the pinkish eyes. That might be bacteria related.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat will not get a cold or flu from you. It is highly unusual to have species to species transference. As someone said, you only see it in some parasites etc.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, it's 5.07am here in the UK and we've just come back with Lucy from an emergency appointment at the vets. Lucy has been diagnosed with cat flu but isn't running a temperature. She's been put on antibiotics and has been given an anti-inflammatory so hopefully she'll feel a lot better in a few hours. Although she's very old, she's also still very fiesty - I've got the scratches to prove it! Perhaps it was a coincidence that hubby had a heavy cold a few weeks ago and now Lucy has cat flu. I'm praying that she will recover.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Python

Perhaps it was a coincidence that hubby had a heavy cold a few weeks ago and now Lucy has cat flu. I'm praying that she will recover.
Maybe it's just the same things that make our immune system susceptible can do a bit of a number on kitties too.

Cold weather, chilly drafts, stress. Which might be why around the holidays/in winter we and our pets could end up sick at the same time, or we could end up sick from running around worried over a pet.