Dandriff?

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has really bad dandriff.. at least i think that's what it is. are there anyways to treat this or is a bath the only way? I'm going to set up an appointment at the vet for her and a grooming appointment so she can get pampered. i got her a steel comb and a brush to take out her matts, but she just has a lot of dandruff. Any thoughts? For a vet visit, would it be an ok idea to have a vet visit and then to the groomer? or should there be time apart, a few days or so? Just trying to figure this stuff out. Never had money to take care of a cat before... or long enough to do it. So i'm kind of new to all of this care stuff.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
start with the vet... while you find a good cat groomer ... Most groomers will only do dogs and of those that do cats many are really bad....

what is the cat eating??? dry ?? wet?? brands

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw... hopefully i can find a good cat groomer. Do you know if the petco groomers are good?

She eats Friskies Seafood frenzy.. i think that's what it's called. We also got her the wet food that is also friskies and seafood frenzy. I tried to give her wet and dry food..and she won't eat the wet. I mixed them together so she maybe wouldn't notice, but she did. I gave her about 1/4 of a can today and she still won't eat the wet food. Any ideas on how i can get her to eat the wet food too? i know she needs it to stay healthy, but i dont know what to do.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies, that is a good source as to why she has dandruff. You really should get her onto a healthy brand of food. That is like the McDonalds of the cat world. If you are going to a grocery store for food, it is generally not a good brand. Poor quality cat food just leads to more trips to the litterbox and more trips to the vet with a cat that is overweight and has health problems.

Don't bathe a cat with dandruff, that will only dry out her coat more unless you do it one time with an oatmeal type shampoo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Friskies, that is a good source as to why she has dandruff. You really should get her onto a healthy brand of food. That is like the McDonalds of the cat world. If you are going to a grocery store for food, it is generally not a good brand. Poor quality cat food just leads to more trips to the litterbox and more trips to the vet with a cat that is overweight and has health problems.

Don't bathe a cat with dandruff, that will only dry out her coat more unless you do it one time with an oatmeal type shampoo.
i didn't go to a grocery store to get her catfood. i purchased it at petco, after asking an older woman there, with her cat, what kind of food she thought was best. She also had dandruff when we got her. We've only had her for a week now.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to Petco.com and this is what I found:

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance
Nutro Natural Choice
Royal Canin
NutroMx Gourmet
Solid Gold (but thats really expensive)
Nature's Recipe
Pet Gold (canned)
Old Mother Hubbard Natural Dinner
Eagle Pack
Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix
Halo Pet Spot's Stew Healthy Homemade

Even Iams or Purina One or Pro Plan would be a decent step up. I dont know who you talked to but Friskies is pretty much bottom of the barrel in the cat food hierarchy. And I don't mean any offense by telling you this. But healthy nutritional food is really important. Just like you wouldn't eat McDonalds everyday, every meal for the rest of your life. You really want to do your cat a favor, then switch him to a great quality cat food and problems and trips to the vet will be lessened.

Hope that helps!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
of that list the highest fatty acids ( what will likely help with the dandruff) .. are Natural choice and the Indoor RC

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm having some dandruff problems too with Maverick but he is on Iams and is a picky eater so I hesitate to change brands. He is all black so it really shows. Is there any shampoo that would help him??? DH is allergic to dander and is now becoming pretty miserable with this sudden breakout by poor Maverick.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nellers

I'm having some dandruff problems too with Maverick but he is on Iams and is a picky eater so I hesitate to change brands. He is all black so it really shows. Is there any shampoo that would help him??? DH is allergic to dander and is now becoming pretty miserable with this sudden breakout by poor Maverick.
I am hoping our resident grooming expert will chime in ... I have to ask do you feed wet food??? if so adding some fish or salmon oil is easy
that will make up for the low fatty acids in the Iams