Vacuum cleaner ?

renure

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I am fairly new here but we do have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs and loads of fish plus kids. What vacuum cleaners do you use? I ask this because I vacuum every day and according to my husband I break them fairly quickly. I usually buy a vacuum cleaner every other year (sometimes sooner - I am not a gentle person). Anyway I just bop down to Target and buy whatever is on sale. I pretty much buy Dirt Devils. So our latest vacuum cleaner broke and dh is not happy. Am I the only one who breaks them as often as I do?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I say invest in a Dyson vacuum it is the BEST EVER!!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought my 1st nice vacuum last summer- and I LOVE it- I've never had any problems with it- and its a Hoover. If I could afford it, I'd buy a Dyson!
This one is great, it has a pet hair attachment, and picks up EVERYTHING- its the best investment- and I bought it for about $80 - on sale from about $110.

I vacuum everyday, or every other- with the 2 cats, plus me and my boyfriend living here, there's a lot of pet hair, and everyday dirt and stuff that gets into the carpet. I've never had any problems with it.

http://www.hoover.com/db/U5269900.asp

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I say invest in a Dyson vacuum it is the BEST EVER!!!

Pami Pami
I want one can you give me a loan
I was just looking at vacuums to, I have 3 vacuums but I want a new one
I have no where to put one really, I figured if I was going to get a new one I have to decide witch one of the old ones to brake before DH comes back home

I have been looking all week...But those Dysons are very heavy 27 lbs OMG they weigh a fourth of me so I'll have to pass on that

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 3 vacuum cleaners: A Sears canister, a Simplicy upright and when we bought this house last year, it came with a central vac system (woohoo). The canister works the best on bare floors and the upright has the best suction power for carpet. The central vac is just so simple to use and great if you want to cover a lot of ground in a short time.

I have also broken a lot of vacuum cleaners over the years. I no longer buy Eureka's and Hoover's cause I can't get more than 2 years from them. The Sears ones tend to last about 7-8 years and I've had the Simplicity for about 10 years now with only an occassional busted belt and 1 complete maintenance overhaul. I vacuum for 12 cats, 2 dogs and 1 sloppy husband.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when I bought my house and subsequently started getting pets, I went through 4 vacuums in 2 years, about $400 worth. I bought my Dyson for $350 and it has lasted 3 years and still going strong. So, its more expensive at forst, but in the long run, it's cheaper. I love love love this machine, and I know this wasn't part of the question, but I have a Bissel Spotbot, and I love it too. It's a neccessity with 6 cats, 3 dogs and a boyfriend.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Eureka Boss 4D, the bagless little brother of the 4870 and CS rates higher than the Dyson.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...nDate&n=284507

but it's blue, it's a real similar model.

I like it, the only thing you have to know is that if you have big chunks on the floor, you have to raise the rotating wheels. It has a settings on the front, lowest to the ground, a little higher...
I don't think it vacuums great on tile but I usually sweep then in the kitchen..not big. It does pick up cat hair great and I love the little upholstery brush.

If i could get any vacuum i would get the pet dyson with the swivel front thing but i don't have the $$ to front.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have so many vaccums because my mom cleans houses but we use only 3 for the house and personally one who doesnt like to vaccum much and only uses good ones and such we also have 2 dogs 6 cats 2 guniea pigs and a rabbit and my favorite sweeper that i use is the hoover windtunnel it is an awesome sweeper and well we use the ones with the bags (hate bagless) and its so hard to find the ones with bags but we also have another regular whch is good but I dont know what it is I wanna say a hoover as well but I am not sure imma have to check tomarrow (its in the sunporch adn its too cold out there lol) But I loove the windtunnels and most of the time they are under 200$ if we had the money my mom would love to get a dyson but its too much money !

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I broke down and got the Dyson animal last year. It was on sale and I got a 100 dollar Best Buy gift card with it too (that was a happy surprise). I really liked it at first, but lately a lot of the fur has been getting stuck around the front wheels and rotating bar thing. Then it makes a funny noise and I have to pull all the junk off of there. I definitely like not needing a bag. I probably spent more money on bags for my last vacuum than I spent purchasing the Dyson.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Bissell and I hate it. It does carpets well, but doesn't do jack on bare floors. It also gets dusty on the outside because you make a mess when you empty the canister. I've had to unclog it a few times too. Not impressed

I'd love to buy a Dyson, but $300+ for a vacuum...yeah... ok.. I mean I'd pay it but my wife won't let me

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Eureka gets dusty when you empty it too.
I use the attachments on my little quick vac to clean the big vac and it's filter

I keep the little quick vac for the kitchen.
The Eureka does a great job, but my kitchen is so cramped with stuff that it's easier to run the little vac.
I do haul out everything and run the Eureka before mopping though.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I have a Bissell and I hate it. It does carpets well, but doesn't do jack on bare floors. It also gets dusty on the outside because you make a mess when you empty the canister. I've had to unclog it a few times too. Not impressed

I'd love to buy a Dyson, but $300+ for a vacuum...yeah... ok.. I mean I'd pay it but my wife won't let me
You can always tell her you'll forget about the ride-on lawn mower if you can get the vacuum cleaner--its much cheaper.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Dyson Animal is fantastic when you have pets. If price is a concern, have you looked on ebay?