My house smells like The Houston Livestock Show

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying out this wheat litter:

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

I like that it doesn't have perfumes and chemicals. but boy, does it smell like feed! The house has a real "outdoorsy" smell.

Haven't decided if the litter is worth the double price tag. The wheat still smells better than perfumes. Has anyone else used this?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Jonny Cat Scoop which is a clumping litter. It does have a scent but it's very mild and unless you stick your nose right down to the litter you don't smell it... at least I don't and I have a very accute sense of smell. I was told I have the perfect "Perfume Nose" because I can pick up the various notes in fragrances.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I used for Sneakers' kittens, but it was too pricey to keep using. I still use it at cat shows because of the lack of perfume, though.

You have to be sure and scoop all the way down to the bottom of the pan, otherwise it turns into concrete!!!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like this litter, which you may get in Vancouver if you get Loblaws President choice products. It's called PC Green. It has a faint scent, clumps well and seems to be made of something natural. It also seems to need cleaning out less (I don't meen scooping) as the litter stays fresher than some.

I just emailed PC to get an ingredients list.

A cat shelter recommended it to me.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/FoodA...d/16903/type/2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I'm the only one who thinks it smells like feed and livestock in here. No one else smells it. I keep thinking, "Where's the rodeo?"

I will try the suggestions, thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mix swheat scoop and chicken feed... You may want to try one of the paper based litter or natures mircle if the wheat smell bother s you

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long time ago I tried it - I didn't like it cause it broke down into more of a "sawdust" spots and got tracked on carpet.

I am using the Arm&Hammor Multi-cat - seems to work best so far for us

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I'm trying out this wheat litter:

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

I like that it doesn't have perfumes and chemicals. but boy, does it smell like feed! The house has a real "outdoorsy" smell.

Haven't decided if the litter is worth the double price tag. The wheat still smells better than perfumes. Has anyone else used this?
I do not know what the Houston stock show smells like! But I do know I am coming to Vancouver Island in May. I was looking at my map last night and I plan on using the ferry from Port Angeles (I am originally from Seattle). Although I have been to Victoria several times I have always wanted to drive all around the island. What I am wondering, since I have a brother that lives in the city of Vancouver, is there another ferry I can catch further up north so I would not have to go back to Washington to get to the city of Vancouver? I know I could probably look this up but thought you might be able to provide a quick answer for me.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

I do not know what the Houston stock show smells like! But I do know I am coming to Vancouver Island in May. I was looking at my map last night and I plan on using the ferry from Port Angeles (I am originally from Seattle). Although I have been to Victoria several times I have always wanted to drive all around the island. What I am wondering, since I have a brother that lives in the city of Vancouver, is there another ferry I can catch further up north so I would not have to go back to Washington to get to the city of Vancouver? I know I could probably look this up but thought you might be able to provide a quick answer for me.
You'll be taking the Coho, or the Clipper? Either way, you'll be coming in to the Inner Harbor, which is about six blocks from where I live.

To get to Vancouver, you want to go to the BC Ferries in Sydney (a small town just north of Victoria). Those will take you to Vancouver. The ferry ride is about 1.5 hours, but there's usually a 1-2 hour wait to get on the ferry if you are driving. Walk-ons are easier, and there are buses from Victoria that go directly to the ferries. It's a beautiful trip, and you'll go by lots of little islands. Tip: the higher up you go on the ferry levels, the better the food.

http://www.bcferries.com/

Maybe we could meet up? PM me if you want. Either way, have a great trip. And bring a warm jacket for the evenings!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You'll be taking the Coho, or the Clipper? Either way, you'll be coming in to the Inner Harbor, which is about six blocks from where I live.

To get to Vancouver, you want to go to the BC Ferries in Sydney (a small town just north of Victoria). Those will take you to Vancouver. The ferry ride is about 1.5 hours, but there's usually a 1-2 hour wait to get on the ferry if you are driving. Walk-ons are easier, and there are buses from Victoria that go directly to the ferries. It's a beautiful trip, and you'll go by lots of little islands. Tip: the higher up you go on the ferry levels, the better the food.

http://www.bcferries.com/

Maybe we could meet up? PM me if you want. Either way, have a great trip. And bring a warm jacket for the evenings!
Thank you, I now have a map in front of me. The ferry ride (spelled Sidney on my map) looks like a much longer ride than the one to Victoria from Port Angeles. I will be bringing a car. Will this be a lot more expensive? I know that I can find this stuff on the internet but I did have one other question. I plan on spending several days on the island, going to Port Hardy etc., just for the heck of it and I was wondering if you can just drive around and easily find B&Bs like you can in the UK.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mix Swheat Scoop with A&H High Performance. I like it. Damita tends to loose hair on her bum whenever I use "normal" clay litter, so my little mix it is for her!
IMO, Swheat didn't cover smells very well. The A&H has a wonderful scent & the two mixed together seem to work really well!

adrianna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I mix swheat scoop and chicken feed... You may want to try one of the paper based litter or natures mircle if the wheat smell bother s you
The breeder from whom we bought Chevey (a Bengal) uses chicken feed, too. We agreed with her that natural products were better but couldn't get to a feedstore so we bought the wheat litter at a pet store. I don't actually smell anything but I'm cracking up over the reference to the Houston Livestock Show. I lived in Houston for a long time and I know exactly what that means!

Do you recommend that I get some chicken feed to mix with the wheat? Does it clump better?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Adrianna

...but I'm cracking up over the reference to the Houston Livestock Show. I lived in Houston for a long time and I know exactly what that means!...
My father's a Texas rancher, so I know the smell very well, too! Like feed, goin' in and comin' out!

I'm going to try chicken feed. Does it clump? It's really inexpensive.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Adrianna

The breeder from whom we bought Chevey (a Bengal) uses chicken feed, too. We agreed with her that natural products were better but couldn't get to a feedstore so we bought the wheat litter at a pet store. I don't actually smell anything but I'm cracking up over the reference to the Houston Livestock Show. I lived in Houston for a long time and I know exactly what that means!

Do you recommend that I get some chicken feed to mix with the wheat? Does it clump better?
Yes it clumps better and the ammonia control is better ...

My father's a Texas rancher, so I know the smell very well, too! Like feed, goin' in and comin' out!

I'm going to try chicken feed. Does it clump? It's really inexpensive.
YES it clumps /./// 50lbs varies 7-11 $... lasts about 3-5 weeks with two jumbo boxes

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried it and HATED it! It was the most nasty thing... well I think a lot of litter out there isn't worth the price at all. I was using wood stove pellets and they are okay. I've switched to mainly using Scoop Away. Uhh I hope that's the name of it. lol