Speaking of quilters/sewers.................

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you get your material from Wal-Mart, you may want to ask them if they are going to stop selling it SOON. According to our local stores, they will stop selling it as of April
They are going to put in Party Notion stations in place of the material section.

Now, I have to drive for a hour and go to a fabric store to get my fabric.

Can ya tell I'm about miffed at all this?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

if you get your material from Wal-Mart, you may want to ask them if they are going to stop selling it SOON. According to our local stores, they will stop selling it as of April
They are going to put in Party Notion stations in place of the material section.

Now, I have to drive for a hour and go to a fabric store to get my fabric.

Can ya tell I'm about miffed at all this?
If you aren't averse to buying fabric online, my own store (where I work), Fabric Depot, has plenty of fabric... TONS of quilters' cottons... also found a site via a friend of mine... can't remember the name right now and it's on my laptop...

I just got home last night from the Sewing Expo up in Puyallup, WA... holy COW!!! too much fabric and stuff... too little money to blow on it...

I am hoarding fabric for a Kitty Quilt of my own design... my first true quilt... I have about 20 now... roughy estimate, as I am afraid to count them. At the Expo, I just picked up one more: an MC Escher-style cat print... so freakin' cool, I tell ya!!!

Once I unpack my stuff, I'll find the name of the quilters' website... they have hard-to-find stuff... like one I didn't get enough of at work and we haven't gotten more in...

I'm just recovering today... ugh. the Expo is MASSIVE... Sensory Overload... and we were there on the light days... it goes through Sunday... and the weekend days are busier... yikes! Not for me... it was crowded enough Thursday and Friday...

Back to recovering... *thud* zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would SO love to go to an expo like that.Where I live, we don't have those though.
When you get the chance, send me that link and also the link to your store.I may just use them.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd heard the rumor about Wal-Mart closing their fabric dept., so last week I asked the woman who was cutting my material. She told me that had been the plan, but there were so many protests received that (supposedly) each store was going to be allowed to decide for themselves. According to her, my local store will keep their's open. There are 2 other stores here that carry fabrics (Hobby Lobby & Joann's), but they're so high I rarely buy anything unless it's on sale.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently asked the head of our fabric dept. this same question. Ours are not planned to close or down grade for at least another 5 yrs and my yarn dept. will be here for as long as anyone can see. Now the Wal-MArt closer to my mom is closing the fabric dept.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked at 3 of our Wal-Marts and all three said they will close theirs as of April. This is so sad for me.I LOVE to sew/quilt and now they are taking away my ability to get to fabric quick.
Thanks for the sites BTW!!!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish ours was only down sizing.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I wish ours was only down sizing.
I've heard that Walmarts material isn't so great anyway. Though I've never compared it to other stores product. Honestly we do not have another store around here.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I've heard that Walmarts material isn't so great anyway. Though I've never compared it to other stores product. Honestly we do not have another store around here.
Some of it is the same as fabric stores... working in one helps me notice those things... although there are some that fabric stores don't carry. But I have noticed that much of the fleece and cottons are the same as what we carry in our store.

Amanda

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that Walmarts material isn't so great anyway
I think there are different grades of fabric. If I was going to be quilting, I don't think I'd use their $2 a yard fabric. However, most of the fabric I buy is for crafts (such as primitive dolls) and it's good for that. I do know that I've found some of the very same fabrics at Joann's.

What I find sort of suspect about this is that Hobby Lobby is a Wal-Mart subsidiarty. Could they be closing the fabric dept. at WM hoping we'll just go to HL & pay the higher price?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a hobby lobby anywhere near me. The 2 closest is Jacksonville and Valdosta. I personally do not do much sewing but when I do I sometimes get my fabric from a shop locally that my friend works out. Though I do pay a higher price.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I think there are different grades of fabric. If I was going to be quilting, I don't think I'd use their $2 a yard fabric. However, most of the fabric I buy is for crafts (such as primitive dolls) and it's good for that. I do know that I've found some of the very same fabrics at Joann's.

What I find sort of suspect about this is that Hobby Lobby is a Wal-Mart subsidiarty. Could they be closing the fabric dept. at WM hoping we'll just go to HL & pay the higher price?
No see walmart was sued so now their downsizing a bit. Such as the layaway and now this.