About a Siamese that isn’t a Siamese

xenawonteat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the breed of cat that looks like a Siamese but has a shorter rounder body form, shorthair and a shorter face? I'd love to get one at some point in my life- they are so pretty.
My boyfriend was from Thailand, he says Siamese are ridiculously expensive. But I think the breed Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m curious about is a mix.
Also, do cats like that have more health problems? I hear purebred dogs are at the vet almost every week with something new "wrong" with them, are purebred cats the same way?

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are talking about a Traditional Siamese, verses one of the more modern types.

As far as health concerns, and if you are speaking of TS, then they are known for their robust and good health. You could run into health concerns if you don't go to a reputable breeder who doesn't take good care of their animals.

There are very experienced people on this site who have discussed how to recognize a good breeder. You might want to do a search on this site for those past discussions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenawonteat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is that the difference in name between these two?:

and

I think the bottom kind is adorable! The top kind, the long lanky ones, no offense to anyone who likes them, but they kind of creep me out, but they are very elegant.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have both types of Siamese. Shane is a huge round faced, rounded bodied Siamese, He's also a Seal Point. He's almost 10 years old so he's gotten pretty dark, but he's a traditional Siamese. SunLee is the more modern elegant type of Siamese, she's a Chocolate Point.

As far as cost goes: I think Siamese are somewhat reasonable in price, especially the Traditional Siamese, because you can't show them. I think Bengal's are pretty expensive. Siamese are much easier to afford.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You also have the tonkinese which is a cross of a siamese and burmese. Its got points (not as contracting) but has the personality of a siames/burmese.

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/tonkinese.html
The Tonkinese are adorable. I think they look a bit more Burmese than Siamese, but I just love their round little faces and big round eyes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The natural minks and blues do look more the "solid" coloring. Thats why I like the platium minks the best - nice lite body color and more of a "point"
BTW if anyone knows the history behind the burmese breeds - they figured out that Wong Mau was a tonkinese

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two traditional siamese cats. Neko is calm but has moments of craziness and Willie is the exact opposite. Neko hates to be held but LOVES to be petted and Willie loves to be held. Willie is a shoulder kitty and leaps from the ground to my shoulder on command (we are trying to make it so he only does it on command because he did it to my grandfather who thought he was trying to attack him so he threw Willie across the room). Neko loves to play fetch in fact it is the only game he will play for a long time, and Willie does not fetch but plays everything else. Neko is shy of guests but once he meets them one on one he is there friend. Willie on the other hand runs up to visitors and rubs their legs. The only thing they have in common is that they are very vocal (Neko a little more than Willie). They were from a bad breeder though. Neko was gonna be put in a shelter if we did not take him and Willie was sold for money. Luckily the "breeder" neutered his cat after Willie's litter. Here's a few pics (Neko's the big and darker one, Willies the lighter kitten):

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Willie
Especially his eye color. He's a more in-between type - not real rounded (apple head) and not extreme.

I'm wondering if some of the more traditional type of siamese are being shown in the HHP classes?

With Willie's white feet, I'm wondering if this "breeder" was trying to breed the snowshoe cats.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are beautiful cats, Maxy24. I'd say Neko looks like a Blue Point and reminds me a lot of my Rainbow Bridge cat Snoopy when he was younger. Is Willie a Blue Point also, or a Lilac point?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I read your post my first thought was Applehead or Traditional Siamese. I also prefer these to the Modern Siamese.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
both mine have blue point parents, they have the same parents and are just from two different litters. I don't think the "breeder" was trying to make a snowshoe he was just breeding. Neko's litter was an accident. i don't feel guilty about getting him since he was free and they were gonna put him in a shelter anyways but I feel guilty about getting Willie. I did not know about irresponsible breeding at the time (It was before I joined my first dog forum) and this guy had bred his girl every heat since Neko's litter so he could make some cash. We bought Willie from him but for a discount price (he works with my dad). Thankfully the parents are fixed now.

He's a more in-between type - not real rounded (apple head) and not extreme.
Yeah he is it's probably from his bad breeding, but I like it anyway we are glad he stayed lighter than Neko so far. We are worried about his growth though as he is much smaller than Neko was at his age, and Neko is a small cat. It's weird how they don't look alike and have opposite personalities yet are brothers. I love the breed!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if the cats are from the same parents and the parents do NOT have white on them - your little boy that has white feet has a DIFFERENT father! No way can a pointed cat produce a cat that has white on its feet

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
your little boy that has white feet has a DIFFERENT father! No way can a pointed cat produce a cat that has white on its feet
really! i'll have to make dad ask him if either of the parents have white although i'm pretty sure he told me they did not. He said they were from the same exact parents and that either he was the only one or there was one other in Willie's litter with white feet. This guy even told us that Willie was a girl and when we got him he was clearly a boy.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The white toes that are in Siamese lines are recessive and can hide for many generations until the two recessives come together in one kitten.
Here is a little paper that talks about the dominant white piebald gene and the recessive gene that causes mittens.

I know for a fact that two non marked Seal point Siamese can produce a kitten with white toes. I have seen it twice with two different litters.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to disagree with you - white spotting has to show on the cat to start - its not hidden gene. There is a "white locket" gene - but not for feet. I've NEVER heard of any siamese breeders have white toes or feet on their kittens.

I may look more into it.

http://www.orientaledition.eu/The%20...e%20locket.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~featherland/off/white.html

Ok the first one says that is has occured in Siamese in the past because of certain lines. Most of that has been bred out. I guess its possible, but seems the kitten as a lot more white then just a little white toe
I would suspect there's another male that bred at the same time.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I much prefer the traditional Siamese. I really hope that they don't disappear or get down to such small numbers that they start with genetic problems because of too much in-breeding. I know that the extreme type is the only ones that can be shown so that is the type that is bred more but I think among those of us that aren't breeders there is a large following for the traditional Siamese.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

I much prefer the traditional Siamese. I really hope that they don't disappear or get down to such small numbers that they start with genetic problems because of too much in-breeding. I know that the extreme type is the only ones that can be shown so that is the type that is bred more but I think among those of us that aren't breeders there is a large following for the traditional Siamese.
Ditto!