HELP! Is my cat ill??

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat - he's a little boy and is just over 18 months old?

My partner has gone away for five days from yesterday, and our little Fudge doesn't seem to be his little old self.

The day before my partner went, the poor chap brought up a lot of "bile" a couple of times during the day. I cleaned it all up and made a fuss of him and thought nothing more of it.

He went to the toilet last night and had diarreah which I thought was a bit odd for the little fellah.

Yesterday when my girlfriend left, he slept nearly all day (like he usually does!) in his little basket under the window. He slept with me in the bed all night under the blanket and usually he wakes us about 6am wanting his belly filling. Nothing this morning. He was still there under the blanket with a bowl full of food that I left him last night.

Today, he has just been curled up on the settee on top of some clean washing(!) and when I go to fuss him, he doesn't show any annoyance at me doing, neither does he seem to care for it much.

Also, some more advice if anyone has it - he is an indoor cat and only eats dry food. He has only one certain brand of food, as if we give him any other he goes to the toilet a lot!! Would anyone recommend any other types of food we should be feeding him on?

I hope my little fellah is fine, and if anyone has any thoughts on it, I'd be happy to hear from you.

David

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe he's just missing his moma

I would just monitor him, I wouldnt mess about with his food, that could cause more upset of his tummy anyway.

Keep us posted if anything changes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I think he is mising his momma!!

I'll monitor him and see how he goes.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Sounds like he's definately missing his mommy! However, if he hasn't eaten for a while or drank (more importantly) a visit to the vet is imperative. Cats do know when their humans are going away or when they've lost a friend.

Do moniter him for the next few days and make sure he is eating, drinking and going to the litter box. Give him more attention to ensure he doesn't feel neglected.

BTW if he is missing his momma, don't be surprised if he's standoffish with her when she returns.

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for that...

Tell me - why is it cats will become "standoffish" if they've missed someone? I do notice that he is sometimes like that if my girlfriend has been away for the day working etc...

He is a character and VERY intelligent! He know's exactly how to get our attention and one of the things I love about him is when I have a shower in a morning. He will often curl up in the bathroom sink as if to say: "I'm having a wash too!"

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww..........cats...... well we´ll never be able to totally understand their mysterious ways

thats why you just gotta love the cuties

and bathroom routines, I think we had a thread about that once, everyone seemed to have cats that loved joining their owners in the bathroom, during all procedures

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, my girlfriend will often do her bathroom "duties" and if the bathroom door is shut, he scratches it until mommy will let him in!! Once in, he will sit happily curled up on her lap...

Talk about about dependance!!

Here's another thing - why do people sometimes say that animals are dumb?!!!
Sorry, but animals are NOT dumb, it is simply that WE do not understand them!!

Anyway, back on topic...!!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
quick hi-jack......... Hey David, great web-page.........
born in Nottingham eh ! and now in Paris
is your kitty from UK or do you have to speak french to him

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our Kitty is actually French! We got him from a cat rescue place. He had been taken in as his owners had been kicked out of their home and put in re-hab.

He is billingual - he speaks both French and English...then again - he listens to what he likes sometimes...!!

Where are you from?? Your profile says: "Brits abroad"! Where do you live? Paris too?

Anyway, we really should get back on topic!! We'll be deleted next!

He's sleeping next to me on the couch curled up on the washing. He seems just the same. I keep checking that he's drinking, but he's going every now and then to his bowl.

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know about our Fudge missing mommy....we're both "moaping" missing mommy!

I think we're good company for each other at the moment. He's drinking a bit now, and I put him in front of his bowl where he had a good "nosh-up" and a good gulping of water! He then proceeded to "go" for my hand and scratch my leg!

Think he was p***ed off that I had woken him to put him in front of his food!! Think I will also try playing with him tonight with the bird on the string. He seems to like that! Incidentally, I found a bicycle lamp (the red one from the back) and he seems to go crazy over that! I'll try him and see how he reacts tonight.

I'm a little happier now...

Thanks for your help guys.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by David Pearce

Where are you from?? Your profile says: "Brits abroad"! Where do you live? Paris too?
I live in Spain, so just a hop, skip and jump away from France, well a few hours anyway

Anyway, we really should get back on topic!! We'll be deleted next!
nah...........they wouldnt dare

end of hi-jack

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would watch him very carefully. It sounds like there might be something going on. By the way, David, if I remember rightly, you were job hunting? How did it go?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad Fudge is Ok. Great web sites
love the big band sound, Mack the knife would be one of my Desert Island Disc choices

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again for the posts.

I have some work now in Paris with an orchestra called "Orchestre Ostinato". We are playing at the OPera Comique and various other venues across Paris including the Salle Pleyel.

Little Fudge has perked up a bit now and is sat on my lap. He has eaten and had some water and wanted my attention after I came back from the shop.

I'm keeping an eye on him and following people's advice on here.

Keep posting - it all helps!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for that...

Tell me - why is it cats will become "standoffish" if they've missed someone? I do notice that he is sometimes like that if my girlfriend has been away for the day working etc...

He is a character and VERY intelligent! He know's exactly how to get our attention and one of the things I love about him is when I have a shower in a morning. He will often curl up in the bathroom sink as if to say: "I'm having a wash too!"
Why? God knows!!!
My cats do that to me all the time! I think it's their way of saying - you LEFT ME!!!! So now, you must humble yourself before ME and beg for MY forgiveness!

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your comments on my websites. I did them all by myself including the designing, and uploading of them. Glad you like the music on them too - shame there's no work out there for proper musicians like myself...
David

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now I wonder if he is that "under the weather".

He's picking up again, and doing everything he can to annoy me or get my attention. As I'm typing I can hear bags under the sink russling as he is climbing through!! He is eating and drinking, going to the toilet as normal and proceeding to climb up the nice cupboards we have and scratch the side of the table and tablecloth!!

I can see that I'm in for a rough night!!

I'm going to cuddle up with the fella and give him cuddles later while watching a good film...I've told him several times while I've sat here that "I'm talking about you!"

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get him to the vet ASAP for a thorough check up - it could be many things but you don't want to just "wait and see" with cats!

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. Advice taken. I'll look into the vet now and see what he says...It would be the most sensible thing to do.

david pearce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

Just to let you know my little "baby" is looking his old self again! Waking me up at all hours during the night, and wanting love and affection from me today, including wanting to get in the wardrobe when I was cleaning it out!!

He's eating again, drinking plenty and just his usual self...

I think we both feel "blue" because we miss mommy!

Dave