Static Solution

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know there have been a few posts this winter about how to deal with static-y cats. The other day I was told to put a very small amount of olive oil onto my hand and rub it in the cat's fur. Apparently it's meant to reduce static and is good for them. I put a little bit on my kittens tonight and they absolutely love it (spent a good 1/2 hour licking it off themselves...) and it does seem to help keep the static away.

ETA: And it makes their coats nice and shiny too!

shiraz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I'll have to try that! This year has been horrible for me and static. My car hates me, all metals doors hate me, my computer, my fish tanks, my everything
The cats aren't too fond of mommy either when she goes to kiss them and they get a shock strong enough to re-start a heart

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. But I would only use a dryer sheet to wipe them off or a little plain water in my hands to keep it down.

I don't want to put oil on the coats....too messy

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as the weather gets cold, I start running a warm mist humidifier. This controls the static in the girls' fur, and also has the added benefit of making the house feel warmer during the winter months. I also seem to suffer fewer colds and/or sinus infections when I religiously run the humidifier. I found a really nice Bionaire warm mist humidifier on e-Bay last winter, for a great price!

Hope this helps

Pookie & the girls

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I know what you mean. But I would only use a dryer sheet to wipe them off or a little plain water in my hands to keep it down.

dryer sheets are toxic.

oli would be better for the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Yeah, if you're going to try it only use a VERY LITTLE bit of oil. You don't want to grease the poor things up too badly!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i did it just today and it made a world of difference.....i put my flat hand against the olive oil bottle so it basically sealed it. tipped it upside down, i rubbed my hands together to distribute the oil (felt nice) then pet both my kitties - it was just enough to stop the static and not so much they spent the rest of the day cleaning up.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are into spending money on it (and I have found olive oil helps too
) we are having a major static problem this year (poor Mags keeps getting shocked so bad you can see the sparks!)

Our groomer recommended an oatmeal based leave in conditioner by Professional Pet Products, it is called 'After Bath Conditioner' and can be used without bathing them, It smells yummy and has really helped with the static as well as making their fur silky soft

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

If you are into spending money on it (and I have found olive oil helps too
) we are having a major static problem this year (poor Mags keeps getting shocked so bad you can see the sparks!)

Our groomer recommended an oatmeal based leave in conditioner by Professional Pet Products, it is called 'After Bath Conditioner' and can be used without bathing them, It smells yummy and has really helped with the static as well as making their fur silky soft
hmmm...where can u find that at?