Do Spayed Cats Still.....

mickeysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We were adopted by 3 semi-feral cats, a mother and 2 kittens last fall. We were able to TNR the kittens which were both females. There's been a tom hanging around the barn and I saw him mount one of the spayed kittens. Question, doesn't spaying stop the instinct to mate, should I be asking questions of the vet who did the surgery?

Thanks for any input.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You mentioned that you spayed the kittens but didn't mention anything about the mom. If the mom is in heat and attracting toms, he could direct his attention to any female in the area.

Mating and fighting are the 2 biggest spreaders of diseases within cats. If mom isn't spayed, get her done ASAP or the entire family is at risk.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
also just because the kittens are spayed, doesn't mean the tom will leave them alone. It could be a dominence thing too. But I think an intact tom will mount and attempt to mate any moving female really
You should get him done too.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree with the other posters. I just wanted to add that an intact tom, with his mind set on it...will even mount a neutered MALE cat. I've seen it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mickeysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your input, I feel a little bit better about what I saw him doing to the kitten.
We've been trying to trap the momma for a week or so lately and at the time we trapped the other 2 (in December) but no luck.
She won't go near the trap even after witholding food for 3 days! We've tried all flavors of canned food topped off with sardine juice.

The tom belongs to a neighboring farm but I told my husband that we'll get him fixed too if he ends up in one of the traps. Won't he stay away if all of the "girls" are fixed? We built a shelter for them last fall and I just caught him in there making himself at home.

I really appreciate your responses.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey where in Ohio are you? I might be able to direct you to some really cheap clinics.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mickeysmom

We've been trying to trap the momma for a week or so lately and at the time we trapped the other 2 (in December) but no luck.
She won't go near the trap even after witholding food for 3 days! We've tried all flavors of canned food topped off with sardine juice.
Don't ask me why it works but the best "bait" for a trap is Kentucky Fried Chicken. White meat, original recipe, that has been skinned and deboned. Leave a big chunk in the trap and drop some little pieces leading up to it. That has worked for a lot of folks I know when everything else has failed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mickeysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jen....

We live between Mansfield and Wooster.