Breed Questions.....

stinky's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have thought from time to time about getting my kitty a playmate. She currently plays with the dogs and doesn't seem to mind that and actually seems to prefer dogs to cats. So that is why I haven't made my mind up as too get another kitten or not. Would see accept another Cat or likely not? She loved Cats for a while but stays keep getting in the window seals and trying to fight her and thats when she quit liking them.

If another cat should come along, I am looking for one that doesn't easily mat. Stinky is a long hair but has never matted. Also a cat that isn't scared of dogs which I hope if raised with my herd they wouldn't be.

My Three top choice cats are Shaded Silver Persian, Himalayan (Stinky is a mix of a Himalayan Photo can be seen in the new Cat section) or Ragdoll. So my question is how easily do those three mat? Matting is okay as long as it's not everytime they move (I have Maltese that does just that and the only way to keep the matts off her is to keep her cut really short as two brushing a day didn't even cut down on her matting). Also what do I want to look for in a breeder and a litter? Any recommended books or websites on those three breed choices?

Thank you in advance for all advice

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The persians will mat - himis a little less, ragdolls rarely mat. All three would need regular grooming (a few times a week).

If she's been with a dog longer then a cat, she may have a longer time adjusting to bringing in another cat. If you decide to get another cat, I recommend a laid back young male (neutered about 8 months to a year). Females tend to accept a new male rather then a new female.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persi never mats because I comb him with a steel comb daily. Matting should not be an issue as long as you are willing to spend the proper time grooming. For me, it is time well spent and worth every minute of it. I started the day I brought him home as a kitten so he never protested and it now serves as a time of bonding each morning.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you would like a pointed long-hair that doesn't mat, I suggest you look into Birmans! My boys have fur the texture of rabbit hair - grooming is more an exercise in removing extra hair so it doesn't cover my furniture, and just because the boys like it. But Birman fur is known for rarely ever matting, and they are such a joy!

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also Balinese cats have semi-long hair that doesn't mat, but if you are looking for a persians personality I wouldn't recomend them. Balis are such a joy but look into the Siamese personality (they are essentially long haired siamese) to see if they are the breed for you.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my friends has a half Balinese (momma cat was a full Bali variant and got loose). They have long hair, but they aren't "fluffy", if that's what your looking for. More of a graceful longhair. His fur never seems to mat, and they don't groom him often at all. He's very playful with other cats and with humans; I understand his personality is similar to a purebred's, just not as loud.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll never mats, and doesn't get groomed a whole awful lot. Aside from kittenish ways, he's pretty laid-back. He is quite dog-like and follows me around the house, and I also frequently find presents in my bed. (twist ties, things from the shower floor - you know...)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stinky's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

My Ragdoll never mats, and doesn't get groomed a whole awful lot. Aside from kittenish ways, he's pretty laid-back. He is quite dog-like and follows me around the house, and I also frequently find presents in my bed. (twist ties, things from the shower floor - you know...)
That sure sounds like Stinky. How does you Ragdoll do with other cats? Do you have dogs, If so how does He react to them. Stinky never ran from dogs and She loves to play with them. Also what would you say are the biggest things to look for in a breeder or the things to watch for in Ragdolls (health).

Thanks for all the wonderful tips everyone, This helps out a lot.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Stinky's Mom

That sure sounds like Stinky. How does you Ragdoll do with other cats? Do you have dogs, If so how does He react to them. Stinky never ran from dogs and She loves to play with them. Also what would you say are the biggest things to look for in a breeder or the things to watch for in Ragdolls (health).

Thanks for all the wonderful tips everyone, This helps out a lot.
Smudge does as well with the other cats as they will let him.
They are all girls, and kinda set in their ways. They're not all that excited about a big clumsy male kitten in their midst. We have a puppy that's a month younger than Smudge and they play a lot. Both boys. Mornings are a good time not to be walking around in our house or you may get bowled over!

I think a really good thing to do is if you could, go to a cat show. That way you'll see the breeds, and even meet someone locally. It's nice to be able to get a kitten from someone locally. OR...to adopt a retiring breeder!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you really want another cat....get an Aby!!!!

But if you want a LH or Semi LH - then a Somali would be perfect!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ragdolls are awesome!!!
Kluchetta got Smudge from me, he was raised with cats but not dogs, I don't have a dog so my kittens never see one untill they go to a new home which has one. None of my kittens had much of a problem adjusting to their new homes, the new cats or dogs that their new owner had or any thing else. They are so laid back, but still fun to have around too. I hardly ever brush my cats much now
And they still don't have any or few matts (my longer haired one will matt under her arm pitts)
I think a kitten or an adult ragdoll would be a great choice for you (or any one
)

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of your choices I would go with ragdoll. Persians do need alot of grooming to keep matts out of their fur.