My daughter is a hairdressers worst nightmare.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sierra is starting soccer next Tuesday. Which meant she needed a haircut. The last one she had was done by her father because the hairdresser refused to do the job. So I went to another hairdresser this time. I walked in and said she's going to be difficult to do. But there's a big tip in it if you do it. It took us about an hour just to get her still enough. And I had to actually hold her while the hairdresser sat in the chair and cut about 2 inches off. Right now she's on the floor crying because she doesn't want daddy to see.

I gave the hairdresser $50 dollars for her time and effort. But Sierra finally has hair that is straight!
The last time her dad did it he got it all uneven and it looked horrible. The lady said I couldn't give her that much..lol. I told her it was a big tip.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol ....bless her heart
if it makes you feel better- when my niece Taylor was little she got into some bad trouble!!! My sister was living in PA. at the time and had just moved there. She put Taylor down for her nap and for once she though lol taylor was sleeping. Well- it was just too quiet for comfort up there so Kimmy went upstairs to check on her- and when she did she found Taylor in the hallway with the ENTIRE jar of Vasoline- she had put the entire thing in her hair
Kimmy called me long distance freaking out not knowing what to do- she had washed her hair 5 times already and couldn't get the vasoline out
So i called my hairstylist and told him what happened (to this day i'm sure that's still the weirdest phone call he's gotten
) and he told me to call my sister back and tell her to wash her hair with tide laundry deteregent to get it out
Well- it worked! Kimmy tried it and got the vasoline out
So don't feel bad- it could have been vasoline instead of a bad haircut

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sierra is 5. I can imagine vasoline being a very big mess.. Crossing fingers and toes.... Sierra has yet to do that or put anything else in her hair.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Sierra is 5. I can imagine vasoline being a very big mess.. Crossing fingers and toes.... Sierra has yet to do that or put anything else in her hair.
Hide it
That and anything else that could be wildly tempting for a little one to put in their hair. She's a bit older than Taylor was when she did that so i'm sure Sierra knows better

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I've only had my hair cut about 4 times in my life - and I'm 35. My heart goes out to your daughter! It can actually be a bit traumatic.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Hide it
That and anything else that could be wildly tempting for a little one to put in their hair. She's a bit older than Taylor was when she did that so i'm sure Sierra knows better
She does know better. However she does what the school calls "selective mutism". She has a phobia of strangers basically. So she will not talk or otherwise interact with people she does not know. It takes a very long time to earn her trust.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol ....bless her heart
if it makes you feel better- when my niece Taylor was little she got into some bad trouble!!! My sister was living in PA. at the time and had just moved there. She put Taylor down for her nap and for once she though lol taylor was sleeping. Well- it was just too quiet for comfort up there so Kimmy went upstairs to check on her- and when she did she found Taylor in the hallway with the ENTIRE jar of Vasoline- she had put the entire thing in her hair
Kimmy called me long distance freaking out not knowing what to do- she had washed her hair 5 times already and couldn't get the vasoline out
So i called my hairstylist and told him what happened (to this day i'm sure that's still the weirdest phone call he's gotten
) and he told me to call my sister back and tell her to wash her hair with tide laundry deteregent to get it out
Well- it worked! Kimmy tried it and got the vasoline out
So don't feel bad- it could have been vasoline instead of a bad haircut

Justice did that! OMG what a MESS!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

She does know better. However she does what the school calls "selective mutism". She has a phobia of strangers basically. So she will not talk or otherwise interact with people she does not know. It takes a very long time to earn her trust.
Aww bless her heart, i had no idea. No wonder the poor thing didn't want to go to a new place and have a new person trim her hair! Are there certain things you can do to work with her phobia to perhaps gradually introduce people to her?

Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Justice did that! OMG what a MESS!!
No kidding- my sister Kimmy was freaking out over the phone when it happened
I can only imagine what it looked like on the other line
I told her to take pictures but it was too crazy over there too.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Aww bless her heart, i had no idea. No wonder the poor thing didn't want to go to a new place and have a new person trim her hair! Are there certain things you can do to work with her phobia to perhaps gradually introduce people to her?

The school therapists only suggestion is to get her to interact with as many people as possible. Which is what I'm doing. She starts soccer next Tuesday. I hope that goes over well. It's stressful all around but I can see that eventually it does work. She didn't use to talk to her classmates or teachers at all and now she's a little chatter bug with them. It just takes a long time.

In situations like the hairdresser it's hard to actually give her time. Unless of course we just go and hang out at the hairdresser for a few hrs everyday... (Not seeing that happen). So..... Were forced to make her do this and her put up a huge fight.. It hurt my back to hold her there...and she sounded like a girl out of a B horror flick.. but we got it done!

I'm just really waking up to how spoiled she really is. I didn't realize it before. But I'm giving her a lot more control than she should have at this point. I caught myself trying to "deal" with her. (IE I'll by you a toy if you are good for the hairdresser). Of course that doesn't work.. Nothing works really. So we just have to force her to stand there for the hairdresser and then she'll realize momma isn't going to do what she wants this time.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor thing. You could try this, it woked for kids just like that who would come into the salon I use to work at. We would recamend that mom AND dad, if both are in the picture come in and get threir hair done first siblings count too. Make it a family affair. It give kids a chance to see its not a big deal and the hairdresser is not scary. The other thing we would do if the child really was afraid is go to the kids home. Kids feel like they have more control over the situation if they are in their house. You could see if a hairdresser may make house calls.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

Poor thing. You could try this, it woked for kids just like that who would come into the salon I use to work at. We would recamend that mom AND dad, if both are in the picture come in and get threir hair done first siblings count too. Make it a family affair. It give kids a chance to see its not a big deal and the hairdresser is not scary. The other thing we would do if the child really was afraid is go to the kids home. Kids feel like they have more control over the situation if they are in their house. You could see if a hairdresser may make house calls.
I asked her if I got a haircut first if that would make her better. She said no. Daddy doesn't have hair to cut.

The housecall thing might work.