I'm starting to hate my job

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been a receptionist in a fair sized law firm for going on two years. We have 13 lawyers and all together 45 staff members. I liked my job just fine until about 6 months ago. Then it was little things started making me mad, and some of the attitude flying around. The more I get attitude the more I start hating my job.
My husband is talking about going back to work in the city. I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be a better move for me.

I just don't know what to do. I like most of my job and only a few co-workers. If I leave I run the risk of ending up in a worse work enviornment. I've moved up in the world. 10 yrs ago I started as receptionist in a hair salon, then to a car dealership now a law firm. If I go elsewhere will it be a step up or down. Am I being petty? UGHHHH
Sorry everyone, I'm just looking for an ear....I know its my decision....anyone got any ideas to help me decide what I want to do?

Denise

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The only thing I can say is to look into your heart and somehow it will tell you your answer. Also, recognize that changes on this level are scary. There is always the risk of things getting better, worse or stay the same.

Maybe look at what is bothering you about the job. Is there a way you can deflect the attitude so it doesn't bother you? Or maybe it is time you moved on to some new opportunities because you are really feeling like "been there, done that"?

Whatever you decide, I wish you lots of luck and am sending you clarity vibes.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started to feel this way a few months ago. Being wiccan I had a wiccan alternative

How about trying to spread some chear around. Like a weekly joke or bringing a nice munchie in one day. Something to brighten everyones day. You'd be amazed how a little change like that can make a big change in personality.

Moving is always a gamble. But if it's something your hubby really wants to do then perhaps put in a few applications at places that would be a step up for you just to see what you can get.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think your being petty. Its not nice to work in a hostile invironment. and by hostile I don't nesicarily mean violent but more not comfortable. I work reception too right now (my real job is data entry but the receptionist is off) and my job was just posted as a permanent full time job, I feel rather hostile towards the people calling about information regarding "my job" but everyone in the office is very supportive. And I think that is what you are lacking a supportive office invironment where you don't feel that people are watching you or talking about you behind your back.
I would look for somthing else, there is no harm in looking you might find a wonderful job out there that will suit you perfectly with good people to work for.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What changed in the past six months-new employees coming on board. Are there people that think they are better than you??? (then they have low self-esteem). Perform your job functions to the best of your abilities and be pround that you have moved up the food chain job-wise. I would write down whats bothering you and see if some of these items can be changed.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, there are always going to be jerks where ever you go. Some places may have more than others.

Part of your job growth too is to recognize when people are being jerks and learn to ignore them (unless you really can't...i.e. someone sexually harassing you).

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I started to feel this way a few months ago. Being wiccan I had a wiccan alternative

How about trying to spread some chear around. Like a weekly joke or bringing a nice munchie in one day. Something to brighten everyones day. You'd be amazed how a little change like that can make a big change in personality.
absolutely. (I am not being trite by saying that, my family are mostly wiccan)

But I am also of the opinion (not that it is necessarily at odds with SalemWitchChild) that it is better to find (and pass on to others
) happiness every day of your life. We all give over so much of our life to work. IMO it is better to gain some satisfaction from those hours of work than to make money. Is it that taking a 'step down' would leave you financially destitute, or is it more a matter of pride? Obviously you can't ignore your financial situation, but if you would be happier being a receptionist in a hairdressing salon and could afford to do so, then I would take the happiness over the money any time.

Which is why I work for awful wages, because I believe wholeheartedly in what I'm doing
I could do with more money but I would rather be happy in myself on a day to day basis.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

absolutely. (I am not being trite by saying that, my family are mostly wiccan)

But I am also of the opinion (not that it is necessarily at odds with SalemWitchChild) that it is better to find (and pass on to others
) happiness every day of your life. We all give over so much of our life to work. IMO it is better to gain some satisfaction from those hours of work than to make money. Is it that taking a 'step down' would leave you financially destitute, or is it more a matter of pride? Obviously you can't ignore your financial situation, but if you would be happier being a receptionist in a hairdressing salon and could afford to do so, then I would take the happiness over the money any time.

Which is why I work for awful wages, because I believe wholeheartedly in what I'm doing
I could do with more money but I would rather be happy in myself on a day to day basis.
I completely agree. And I've taken that step down many times over. If it comes to a point where I just don't believe the work I'm doing is positive then I quit and go elsewhere. I must be happy at a job or else my work ethic goes to the pits..and then me & the bosses are not happy.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I completely agree. And I've taken that step down many times over. If it comes to a point where I just don't believe the work I'm doing is positive then I quit and go elsewhere. I must be happy at a job or else my work ethic goes to the pits..and then me & the bosses are not happy.
I worked in the Civil Service (central government, Ministry of Agriculture) for a long time, and it brought me nothing but unhappiness and anguish. Imagine being a vegetarian and having to promote British Beef!!!!

I now work for a very small charity, only 2 part-time members of staff, and we give advice about alternative and environmentally friendly funeral options. I earn less than half the salary I was on in the civil service, but I believe in what I do - advising people that when they pass on they can do it so their remains help renew the environment and grow trees and wildflowers rather than putting mercury and dioxins in the atmosphere due to cremation (the most popular option in the UK) or having headstones and graves that need to be maintained. I want to nourish a native tree as my living memorial, turning farmland or disused land back into woodland, and I get to give advice to people about that sort of thing as my job.

Sorry that's gone completely off topic. Although my point stands that I am happier now on half the salary than I have ever been in my life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, hmm where to start?
Before I started as a receptionist I took a course "Admnistrative assistant" my first job interview was at a law firm. Got turned down flat...not sure why. I ended up taking the job at the salon as a last resort...I was seeking employment at a bad time...not jobs really avail in the field I was looking. I was happy there for the most part then the salon owners started having troubles....they decided to go their separate ways...as a result they both slacked off on their attention and care of the business....I got out of there before it got nasty. whew!!!
I moved in with my now DH then he was BF....we sold his house first and bought out in the country...we moved in together and were commuting 45 min there and back....not much time with the kids....so we decided to look closer to home....which brought me to the car dealership....the owner was a jerk....would yell and scream at his employees....scared customers....paid really really good. I went from $8/hr to 10...but not just as receptionist. I was looking after two websites, customer relations, appointment confirmation....and more odds and ends....I just couldn't handle the atmosphere there anymore. I had to get out. So I applied here at the firm. I was told when they hired me they would train me to be a legal assistant. That was 2 yrs ago. I know I'm good at what I do and I'm good with the clients...mainly because I worked the food industry (waitressing) for 10 yrs and now I've been working reception for 11 yrs....I'm 35 yrs old. We have regular home baked treats by me and a few others. The place where I'm at how do I describe it....the all around mentality SUCKS. People walk in a door ahead of you and close the door on you. You walk ahead of them and hold the door open and they walk right on by like your not even there. The ones in the service departments suck, they don't know nothing about nothing and don't know who would know. They are rude and ignore you...I think you get the gest of what I'm saying. Some days are worse than others. Some are better. I guess I'm just wondering if its worth it to stay and if I dont' where do I go from here?
Thanks to everyone who offered advice and opinions....I'll let you know what I finally decide to do.
Denise