Reason To Never Declaw!

belladonna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is not a nice story but it is a very good argument on the side of NOT declawing cats EVER for ANY REASON. We have 3 cats and are stray-friendly so nobody goes hungry... well last year there was a beautiful yellow/orange tabby longhair with the cutest flat face and sweetest disposition. My friend was going to take him since he was obviously stray (I discovered he was declawed too which ticked me off no end that someone would declaw and then abandon).

One day he disappeared. He always came around at a certain time of day or day of the week and ate from his bowl at the end of the driveway. We found out, MONTHS later, what had happened. He got locked in someone's shed over the winter. They found him curled up in the spring when yard work resumed. There was evidence that he had torn up cardboard boxes with his teeth, and the door they had on their shed was wood so IF HE HAD CLAWS HE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY GOTTEN THROUGH OR AT LEAST MADE ENOUGH RACKET TRYING.

PLEASE DON'T EVER DECLAW FOR ANY REASON. I don't even want to think about how long it took before he went to God. I imagine a week or more but he had no water so hopefully he suffered shorter. This is the most awful story I have ever had the displeasure to have first hand knowledge of.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my how sad, that poor kitty, RIP sweet one.

For me theres not one reason in the world to declaw - it should never, ever happen...........stopping there, it makes my blood boil

daniel_17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my mom is against declawing too. i cant say id ever my cats declawed (no way in hell)

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would never declaw my cat Bindi either, though I do worry about it when it will be time to find an appartment of my own to live in. If it came to having him declawed or finding a new home I'd find him a new home.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...es/bawling.gif. I dont think its fair to put them through it just because some stupid landlord thinks its good.

In my opinion doing that to a cat should be illegal, Cats have claws that's one of natures laws.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima.../angryfire.gif

joe_the_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a Vet tell me before I have a cat declawed, tape my fingers so that they are curled up. The go all day like that....then decide if I want my cat declawed....I dint last 5 minutes before I realized it was too cruel.....even for my cat......

I would never declaw a cat after that experiment...

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Belladonna

This is not a nice story but it is a very good argument on the side of NOT declawing cats EVER for ANY REASON. We have 3 cats and are stray-friendly so nobody goes hungry... well last year there was a beautiful yellow/orange tabby longhair with the cutest flat face and sweetest disposition. My friend was going to take him since he was obviously stray (I discovered he was declawed too which ticked me off no end that someone would declaw and then abandon).

One day he disappeared. He always came around at a certain time of day or day of the week and ate from his bowl at the end of the driveway. We found out, MONTHS later, what had happened. He got locked in someone's shed over the winter. They found him curled up in the spring when yard work resumed. There was evidence that he had torn up cardboard boxes with his teeth, and the door they had on their shed was wood so IF HE HAD CLAWS HE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY GOTTEN THROUGH OR AT LEAST MADE ENOUGH RACKET TRYING.

PLEASE DON'T EVER DECLAW FOR ANY REASON. I don't even want to think about how long it took before he went to God. I imagine a week or more but he had no water so hopefully he suffered shorter. This is the most awful story I have ever had the displeasure to have first hand knowledge of.
That story is so sad

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Joe_the_Cat

I had a Vet tell me before I have a cat declawed, tape my fingers so that they are curled up. The go all day like that....then decide if I want my cat declawed....I dint last 5 minutes before I realized it was too cruel.....even for my cat......

I would never declaw a cat after that experiment...
I really like your vet! It would have been even more accurate had he lopped off one of your fingers at the last knuckle, bound it and then told you to go about your day. And then multiply that by 9 other claws (I'm assuming they lop off the dewclaw, too, when they declaw). My vet won't do declaws at all, which is one of the bigger reasons I patronize this specific vet. My landlord first told me she encouraged, but didn't require, declaws...so I brought in research about the incidence of litterbox avoidance in declaws versus fully armed cats and now the company's pet agreement states that all cats must be fully armed and fixed to live here...yeah, that creates some problems on its own, but it's a really neat idea.

I've pretty much seen or heard of everything that can possibly occur or go wrong with a declaw. Never a happy story. When people tell me they had a cat without claws who had no problems I remind them that they were either a) extremely lucky and in the minority or b) the cat just hid its extreme pain and agony pretty well.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is just soo sad
that poor baby
R.I.P little one

My SIL once said she wanted to get the cats declawed and man was I
i dont think my brother would of allowed it but my mom told them u know that they cant with three kids and 2 big dogs and my brother knew that
I also told them about soft paws..but i guess there hasnt been any problems at all since then because not much has been said but i was so mad
when they came in my house and said all of that !!! The reason was because they scratched their nails on her one recliner or something like that

But my gram did have 2 declawed cats and luckily they had no problems but I was too little to relize and well I do believe my gram adopted them that way !!! But I also got in an arguement with her about it because her 2 were fortunate !!

When we went to get Blue and Tessa there was this one gorgeous 6 year old girl that was declawed and well the owner had ALOT of cats and had to get some taken because of poor health and what not and well I feel so bad for that girl shes been in and out of homes and it just upsets me, and I am always seeing declawed cats in the shelters now too

chinakit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love in the UK and declawing is banned over here I am pleased to say. I would never consider mutilating a much loved cat in this way. Cats can be trained to use scratching posts, and anyway, my cats are much more precious to me than my furniture!