Tornado Package?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After yesterday, I am thinking of stuff to put like in a tornado package for the kids at the day care.

We had to sit in the hall for over 45 minutes yesterday, and it was real hard to keep all the kids sitting. I finally handed out a whole bunch of books for them to look at, but they were good books that belong to the day care, and I kinda got fussed at for giving them out.

So I am trying to think of some stuff that we can kinda put together to help us keep them occupied the next time it happens.

So far the only thing I have come up with is something for them to color, I am thinking I am gonna go to Dirt Cheap and see if I can find a bunch of color books, we always have old colors at school. I think we can always say we are having a coloring contest.

It has to be something that can be done sitting against the wall.

Anyways if anyone here has any other ideas I would appreciate it. I was very stressed after leaving yesterday.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats a great idea !

what about a box of things that they can glue on card .......like

dried pasta shapes
buttons
small pieces of coloured string / wool
plastic tops (like from milk bottle or sweet tubes )
glitter
old comics they can cut up to use
anything really that is safe to use and easy to stick on

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

thats a great idea !

what about a box of things that they can glue on card .......like

dried pasta shapes
buttons
small pieces of coloured string / wool
plastic tops (like from milk bottle or sweet tubes )
glitter
old comics they can cut up to use
anything really that is safe to use and easy to stick on
I don't know if stuff like that would work, they would hafta share that, and they would wanna keep getting up and moving around.

I need to think of stuff that would keep them sitting down and being still.

We are not allowed to do anything but sit against the wall. And that gets tough when you hafta do it for an extended period.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I don't know if stuff like that would work, they would hafta share that, and they would wanna keep getting up and moving around.

I need to think of stuff that would keep them sitting down and being still.

We are not allowed to do anything but sit against the wall. And that gets tough when you hafta do it for an extended period.
couldnt you make up boxes for them to share maybe between two kids ?

umm its a tough one that, if they have to stay put

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coloring is probably the best idea. Do you think you could get some travel board games that they could play with a partner like connect 4 or something. Mr. Potato head.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you read them some stories in addition to the coloring books? Maybe a story connected to the coloring books? Maybe get a package of small do dads (like plastic lizards and frogs, or mardigras beads,depending on how old they are) from the Dollar Store, and play "The Quiet Game" in between activities? Or get some medium size balls and let them roll them across the floor to each other (kinda like a version of the quiet game- you -or they, if they're old enough- have to roll it to someone who is being quiet?). If they are older (sorry, I didn't see how old they are) they could play the gossip game- it involves a lot of whispering and listening. I'll keep thinking.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Could you read them some stories in addition to the coloring books? Maybe a story connected to the coloring books? Maybe get a package of small do dads (like plastic lizards and frogs, or mardigras beads,depending on how old they are) from the Dollar Store, and play "The Quiet Game" in between activities? Or get some medium size balls and let them roll them across the floor to each other (kinda like a version of the quiet game- you -or they, if they're old enough- have to roll it to someone who is being quiet?). If they are older (sorry, I didn't see how old they are) they could play the gossip game- it involves a lot of whispering and listening. I'll keep thinking.
The quiet game works for a little while and then it gets old, and the rolling the balls is a good idea too.

But now I am back to thinking again, I found out yesterday that we are not supposed to have any lights on, so we have to sit in the dark. We do have two emergency lights located at each end of the hall. But they don't give off much light.

So now I am thinking I am gonna get some of those little lights that you can just click on and off. I have seen then at Dollar Tree, so I am gonna pick up a few of them just to give off a little light.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Dollar Tree usually has those stretchy balls (that look like sea anemones?) that light up in the middle and blink different colors- my 3 year old loves those (and I have to admit to playing with them myself
), and I've also seen pens and necklaces and stuff like that that light up at the Dollar Tree and at Walmart in the 88 cents stuff.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

The Dollar Tree usually has those stretchy balls (that look like sea anemones?) that light up in the middle and blink different colors- my 3 year old loves those (and I have to admit to playing with them myself
), and I've also seen pens and necklaces and stuff like that that light up at the Dollar Tree and at Walmart in the 88 cents stuff.
That would be something that might would work, we could tell them if they don't sit still and be quiet, then they don't get to hold one. We couldn't afford to buy one for every kid, because we have about 75 children enrolled in our school, plus we have a afternoon program for the older school children. We usually have about 30 of them.

But that is a great idea. Thanks.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those all sound like great ideas.. Maybe some of that dollar store clay stuff, you don't need much light either, though the little ligths from there would be good.. Also maybe going to the 2nd hand store from some reading books for them, you may get a 10 cent deal or something, and be able to get quite a few for little money! Also maybe ask for donations from the kids' parents to help out for the cause, they would probably do a lot for ya!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Those all sound like great ideas.. Maybe some of that dollar store clay stuff, you don't need much light either, though the little ligths from there would be good.. Also maybe going to the 2nd hand store from some reading books for them, you may get a 10 cent deal or something, and be able to get quite a few for little money! Also maybe ask for donations from the kids' parents to help out for the cause, they would probably do a lot for ya!
Books is no problem, we have a ton of reading books for the kids.

I am just trying to come up with some ideas to make it easier on the teachers. It is very trying when you have that many children that you are having to take care of.