Clothes Dryers are Lethal

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A pet owner on a bengal list I belong to, just lost her bengal because she didn't check and double check to make sure her cat didn't climb in there before she started it up.

She's completely devastated. How do you come to terms with the fact that you've killed your cherished pet?

It's a sad reminder for us all to double check that dryer and the washer too.

For any of you that have bottom load freezers like I do, double check that too!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG, the poor woman having to have that on her mind for God knows how long

Your right though Nial about checking because i don't know how many times as i've been closing a door or cupboard where one of the girls slipped in from behind without me noticing

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. It's amazing how quickly they can slip in. Stan keeps getting closed in the closet, so we have a "1, 2 all cat's accounted for" check before we start the front load washer or dryer. Especially since those darn dryer balls are so irresistible.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a very good reminder to everyone. How terrilbly devastating for your friend

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh NO! That is so hard to live with!

Let me tell you my dryer story..... Max is my dryer kitty. Easter morning 4 years ago, we were all running around getting ready for church. I threw a
summer dress into the dryer to fresh-in' it up and closed the door, turned on the dryer and off I went to take a shower. We still to this day don't know how long the time was but I KNOW it was at least 5 to 10 minutes. I was in the shower, had Nair all over my legs. When my husband comes busting in screaming Eva, help Max was in the dryer. I jumped out throw my towel in the shower to make it wet and we wrap him up in the wet towel. Max was conscious but very disoriented and bleeding from his nose and mouth. It was very hard to hold him because he was so HOT to touch. Eric than took Max in our garage room because it had a portable A/C unit and he put him right up to the cool air. I called my brother to come pick us up because neither one of us were in any shape to drive.
I think my brother arrived in less than 2 minutes. It was so fast. I also placed a call to the ER vet to let them know we were on our way.

The hardest thing I've ever done was leaving my baby at that vet. They asked us to leave once we arrived and they would call us with news. They were not very optimistic at all. They gave him a less than 5% chance of survival. Max's temp was 108 the thermometer only went to 108.

His paws were burnt, his nose was burnt, his ears were burnt. I not talking about a little burnt, I'm talking blisters, oozing, bleeding, black kind of burnt. I think I cried every time I looked at Max, I kept telling him how sorry I was. How stupid I could be for not checking first. How stupid to leave the door open to begin with even for that small amount of time.

The vet called us two hours later, Max was stable and we could visit. They warned us about brain injury. They said he may never be the same lovable, sweet cat we had. I didn't care, I just wanted to see Max and tell him how sorry I was. He was hooked up to IV's, wet and OH so glad to see us!
I'm not sure who was happier me or Max. Max stayed the rest of the day at the ER vet.

It took weeks and many, many vet appointments for the burns to heal. His burns all burst and scabbed. Then they would do it all over again. His lungs have scars they say. His mouth had blisters those had to heal.

His paws are very scratchy and rough today from the scars. His fur has spots of white all through it where his skin was burned. He is a Siamese so it's really noticeable. Along his ears are bits of white from scars, his nose is rough. He has one bald spot on his back by his tail where he never grew any hair back. It's hard to find unless you know the spot.

He is the most beautiful of cats to me! I thank God for him every day. Four years later and I will never forget that day. It will stay with me forever. His personality never changed just a few white hairs and scruffy feet. I am the luckiest person because they told me 95 percent never make it.

It is a major rule in our house that has never been broken since that day. You will check the dryer and before you turn it on you will say No Cat in Dryer. We never leave the doors open unless we are loading and unloading. That day I was unloading and loading and stepped away from the dryer to find a shirt from my son and Max jumped in. You don't even have to leave the door open all the time for them to jump in. It can happen at any time. My cats follow me every where and are always under foot with what ever I do. So I know that is when he jumped into the dryer.

My heart hurts for this owner and pain she is dealing with right now.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad. Exactly why my girls aren't allowed in the laundry room (although they like to try to sneak in)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry for your friend Nial

And thank goodness Max made it, Eva! It's an accident that can happen in the merest of moments, I also always leave my dryer closed unless unloading and loading

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so awful. How do you even begin to deal with something like that. I'd blame myself for ever. I don't know how anyone could ever get over that.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Eva, that brought tears to my eyes! Poor Max, and poor you!!!

Thank goodness my laundry gets done in the cellar where the kits can't go! And thank you very much for the reminder, Nial!

May you rest in peace over Rainbow Bridge, poor Bengal dryer kitty.
And may your meowmy forgive herself someday. She didn't mean for it to happen.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
How sad that it happened. I alway move the drum around manually and pat the clothes before I turn it on. We also have to be careful with the chest freezer because Lucy likes to jump up and see what we're doing, then sniff stuff inside.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your friend's loss.

Unfortunately, I know that feeling all too well. When I was very young, about 7, we had this old dryer that the door would pop open all the time during the cycle. I guess it seemed like a nice warm place to curl up for my cat Benson. We can only assume he decided to jump in there and sleep and that my mom must have come along after and shut the door to restart it. This was a usual routine for my mom and she never thought to check inside.

It was later that evening when my mom sent me to get my pajamas from the dryer, so I am the one who found my Benson. I will spare the details, but needless to say, it was a horrible sight and my poor kitty must have suffered terribly. I still can't think about it without crying, nearly 30 years later and can still vividly recall the images.

Checking dryers, washers, closets, EVERYTHING, was a solid rule in our house after that, and to this day.

I will say a prayer for the poor Bengal kitty.

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's so sad, And so easy to happen. When we open the drier the cats jump right in. We expect it. They have been doing this for so long. We always look and count four cats before we turn it on. Someone should sell a magnetic sign you can stick on the drier that says "Check for Cats" It's so easy to forget. I'd have to put one on the refridgerator.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry for your friend Nial

And thank goodness Max made it, Eva! It's an accident that can happen in the merest of moments, I also always leave my dryer closed unless unloading and loading
I was half way done loading the dryer and went into the bedroom to get a few more things and came back and found this:

There could have been a lot more clothes and he could have been hidden under them. This little photo is just to remind me to always know where my cats are before starting the dryer.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is awful.
someone on another board i'm on lost her beloved siamese that way.

in a way i've been lucky, we have never had an apartment with a washer or dryer in it. we always have to leave the apartment to do laundry. so the guys have never had a chance to get in one or decide they like to hang out in one.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad
What a tragic accident. I can't imagine the pain she is feeling from loosing her sweet kitty in such a way.

Sending lots of calming vibes her way.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the reminder, Nial. Eva and Paula, I'm so sorry you had those experiences. Max was lucky to have survived, poor baby!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

That is so awful. How do you even begin to deal with something like that. I'd blame myself for ever. I don't know how anyone could ever get over that.
I feel so bad for your friend.