How do you store opened, canned pumpkin?

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Due to many hairballs and loose stool, I've read much about the wonders of 100% canned pumpkin. My question is how do you store it and how long can it be kept before it goes bad?

I ask because I bought a can of pumpkin and used 3 tablespoons (= 3 days) before I decided to throw it away but what a waste!

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never done this before since I feed my cats butternut squash (baby food) so it was never a problem. I would imagine if you scoop some into a saran wrap and store it in a ziplock bag in the freezer, it should be okay. If you have small reusable plastic containers, it will work also. It will be more economical also. Just take out the individual container from the freezer and into the fridge a day before you want to feed your cat. I do that with fruits when I want to keep them longer to make smoothies. I wouldn't store the pumpkin and raw meats next to each other in the fridge in case of cross contamination.

I'm sure there will be others that have done this with pumpkin before to answer your question.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Mama Kitties. I would either freeze some of the pumpkin or go with some squash baby food since it's a smaller container.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use the baby food squash, sweet potatoes and peas. even if i used the freezer method (i've heard ice cube trays work great), our freezer "freezer burns" everything that's in there for longer than a week or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is butternut squash just as effective?

Thanks for the pumpkin storing advice!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jiazzi

Is butternut squash just as effective?

Thanks for the pumpkin storing advice!
I would say yes. It's the fiber that helps. I don't think I've ever compared the fiber content between the 2, but it should be pretty close. Mine seem to like the squash a little better, too.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i forgot about squash! - off to the store. stoli has the runs.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use canned pumpkin or baby food squash when Cleo got diarrhea. Now I use a little Benefiber added to her canned food. Since Benefiber is a dry tasteless powder, she doesn't even notice it in her food, and it's easy to store in the kitchen cupboard.

Pookie & the girls

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I've never heard of using baby food squash. Maybe in the future I'll have to try that. Although the canned pumpkin has worked in the past, Gizmo isn't all that nuts about it. Perhaps he'll like the squash better.....

~Shauna

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i also just bought a box of probiotics to keep on hand - in case...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I would put it in a freezable container (like tupperware). Do NOT leave it in the can - over time the stuff from the can (opened) can get into the food and spoil it.

So take the pumpkin out of the can and put it into smaller containers and freeze most of it - then keep a little in the tupperware in the fridge for a week or two.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give my dog pumpkin daily. I buy the big 29 oz. cans and have had no problem with it being in the fridge for several days. I cover it with tin foil and so far no spoilage problems. I never knew about squash...might have to pick up some to give my dog some variety!

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never knew about this! I wonder if Villy would eat either Pumpkin or Squash

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found this on line

ONCE OPENED, CAN I FREEZE, HOW TO STORE, HOW LONG DOES THE PUMPKIN LAST

Pumpkin may be stored in a sealed plastic container for 1 week in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer. When freezing, allow for headspace at the top of the container as the pumpkin may expand when frozen. Pumpkin may have a separated appearance when thawed due to air bubbles. This will not affect the pumpkin quality or performance.

I found it at the following site
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tippumpkin.htm

Its a baby food site but it had the answer. I fiqure if this method is safe for a baby than surely it is safe for a kitty.
I hope that helps