We had an earthquake!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've been in California for 15 months now, and this is the first one we've felt!
It's strangely exciting...

We were sitting on the couch and it started shaking, so we both looked behind us thinking all the cats had jumped on the back of the couch or something, then looked at each other and went "EARTHQUAKE!!".

It didn't do any damage or anything, just made the couch rattle.

How exciting.... We just did a search, and apparently it was a 4.2 on the richter scale.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG! That would've scared the pants off me! I can never live anywhere there are earthquakes often....I am terrified of them!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am terrified of any natural disaster type thing. Hurricane, tornado, earth quake. I could never live anywhere where these are frequent. Even if they weren't, I'd be outta there at first mention.

I dunno if we get anything bad up here or not.
I know we have had the odd tornado, but it's small and doesn't do anything really.

Glad you enjoyed it though.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Life in the Golden State. Nothing like a little rocking and rolling to get ones nerves unsettled. Try living near Parkfield, where a 6.0 is a common tremor (Oh say every 20 years or so.) We had a 6.6 just over 3 years ago and that shook everyone up in the area......esp. the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I bet it did!!

Sicycat - are you about? Did you feel it?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have felt 3 in my life. Non big. first one was in ohio beleave it or not
in college.
we all just kinda looked at each other and went what the heck is that, took about 3 seconds to sink it as to what it was.

Glad you are ok.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We've been in California for 15 months now, and this is the first one we've felt!
It's strangely exciting...

We were sitting on the couch and it started shaking, so we both looked behind us thinking all the cats had jumped on the back of the couch or something, then looked at each other and went "EARTHQUAKE!!".

It didn't do any damage or anything, just made the couch rattle.

How exciting.... We just did a search, and apparently it was a 4.2 on the richter scale.
Wait where in cali do you live? I live in San Diego. What time did this happen, Cali time that is? It may be nothing but please get prepaird sometimes its a pre shock. Meaning the big one will follow soon!
I need to get my earthquake kit together oh man! What do I need for Karma! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I hate earthquakes!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to California! You officially live here now.

If you live where you felt this earthquake, you've most likely actually been in other earthquakes, and just didn't feel them! We've had some small ones recently that you could easily not notice. This one was pretty rumbly, though- even got my attention, and I'm a CA native!

Good news is, even if it was another 7.1 like the Loma Prieta, your local SAR team will take good care of you! <--- Shameless plug

This is the largest quake I've been around to watch Evie react to, and I must say, contrary to the popular rumor, she didn't have a clue it was coming!
She also didn't really seem to care...

It happen in the SF Bay Area, at 8:40 PM.

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How scarey!!!! I guess justa part of normal life in your part of the world!! We have had two that I can remember - once when I was about thirteen - I was in bed - it was about half seven in the morning, and I could feel the bed shaking - I woke thinking it was my Dad trying to wake me up, but it was a 'quake!

The last one was whilst I was working in Chester about 16 years ago - of al places I was in the toilets - I thought someone was messing about rocking the cubicle - when I came out the building was being evacuated!!!! I don't think we have ever had more than a 4 on the scale, but pretty odd at the time!!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't feel it here in So Ca where I am but I have been in many some that were pretty scary to say the least. My biggest fear is I am in a 2 story home
I don't ever know should I stay upstairs and fall through or go down stairs and have the upper fall on me.
When I lived in Temecula up in Wine Country we had a couple that scared the crap out of me I think its when they keep rolling longer then normal, doors open and close windows rattle, I don't panic but I don't like them at all

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
whoa ! I know what you mean about it being ' exciting ' we get rumbles here in Spain, although not for about 1 yr or so. Anyways the 1st time it was weird, and cos it was only a rumble, you sort of dont mind, cos no-one gets hurt and theres no damage.
Aww well as someone mentioned - now you know you live in California

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that would be a bit exciting, provided it's just a small rumble

Did the cats sense it before anything happened?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When i used to live in Melbourne Australia, i used to feel them all the time!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just explained the reason I'd never live on the West coast.

I've never felt the earth literally move under my feet, nor do I want to. I would have run from the house shrieking and gotten on the next plane to anywhere, LOL

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in CA for two years in the 80s and we had a few, though I got out before the big one. Many of my friends had severe structural damage to their houses . We used to get them occasionally in Sarajevo, but only just strong enough to be felt.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I felt it too...woke me up. I was "watching" Survivor in bed, when I felt the bed shaking. The epicenter was about twenty miles from where I live, luckily, it was just a little one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, there's lots of Bay Areans! We ought to have a meet up

For those who reckon they would have freaked out - it honestly just felt like the couch just shook a wee bit, and was over before we knew what was happening. There was nothing to be scared about.

And there's been a fair few little quakes since we've been here apparently, but this is the first we've felt.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i have felt 3 in my life. Non big. first one was in ohio beleave it or not
in college.
we all just kinda looked at each other and went what the heck is that, took about 3 seconds to sink it as to what it was.

Glad you are ok.
I remember that one in Ohio, must have been about 20 years ago, was at my Aunt's and her dishes rattled

I will also never live in Cali because of earthquakes, any eastern/gulf coast area becaue of hurricanes, or any plains states because of tornadoes, I like Ohio, other than the occasional tornado and tiny little rumbler we are safe