MIGRAINES! What do you do when they attack?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering what others do, beside medication, when they get a migraine headache? I had a bad one last night, have been cursed with them for 16 years now. I have to turn all lights off and no music or tv, head wrap over my eyes, sometimes cold cloth on forehead, always have to sleep it away, and this is almost always on top of medication!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take some excedrine migraine and take a nap if i'm home- i put my ear plugs in- noises really bother me when i get migraines. / if i'm at work- i take excedrine and really just try to get through the day- sometimes hot tea helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Take some excedrine migraine and take a nap if i'm home- i put my ear plugs in- noises really bother me when i get migraines. / if i'm at work- i take excedrine and really just try to get through the day- sometimes hot tea helps.
If I even get up or move once it hits, I'm praying
to the porcelain god
. I get them in my stomach so bad
, and I can smell everything, in a bad way!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

If I even get up or move once it hits, I'm praying
to the porcelain god
. I get them in my stomach so bad
, and I can smell everything, in a bad way!
Your symptoms sound pretty bad. I think it might be a good idea for you to see a doctor about this. Also- start keeping a food journal- some foods have artificial sweetners and other things in them that can cause migraines or make them worse. Also- i have Vertigo and a begin cystic tumor on my brain (it's tiny and non-cancerous so far). Sometimes the tumor can cause headaches. When i take my vertigo medicine regurally though- i don't get bad headaches at all. Without it though- i get AWEFUL symptoms. / Also- check the medicantions you're currently taking if you are taking any- see what the side effects are. Hopefully you and your doctor will be able to narrow down the things that are causing your symptoms. Definitely see a neurologist or other doctor though. My doctors have helped SOOOOOO much with my Vertigo symptoms- i don't usually have symptoms unless i miss a dose of my medicine- hopefully your doctor will be able to help you
Feel better hon- till you can get in to see a doctor- try taking naps (sometimes, when i get them really bad- sleeping is all i feel like doing.) I hope you get to feeling better soon

f&n'sdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Advil (Ibupfrofen) always works best for me for headaches. I used to get brutal migraines on the birth control pill after 8 years of being on it. To the point I couldn't speak properly and had a numb arm and impaired vision. After going off it, I stopped getting them. Haven't really had one that bad since (though my dad gets them that bad every year and has obviously never been on the pill!). When I've had mini ones, I just take Advil and it goes away.
My dad has to lay down in a dark room for about 6 hours.

They are the worst. So scary and painful. Sorry to hear you suffer from them. I've also heard red wine and chocolate can bring them on. Not sure if this is true. Not true for me. For me it's hormonal and related to the pill and/or my period.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only get migranes when I am extremely sleep deprived. I don't usually take anything, because we don't usually have anything. I just turn the lights out, and any sounds and try to sleep.

My aunt gets really bad migranes. She ends up in the ER at least once every other month or so because of them. They can't find anything wrong. She does have a strong medication that she takes, but if she doesn't take it before a certain time into the migrane, it won't work. As well as the Extra strength advil liqui gels every day to prevent the migranes.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Your symptoms sound pretty bad. I think it might be a good idea for you to see a doctor about this. Also- start keeping a food journal- some foods have artificial sweetners and other things in them that can cause migraines or make them worse. Also- i have Vertigo and a begin cystic tumor on my brain (it's tiny and non-cancerous so far). Sometimes the tumor can cause headaches. When i take my vertigo medicine regurally though- i don't get bad headaches at all. Without it though- i get AWEFUL symptoms. / Also- check the medicantions you're currently taking if you are taking any- see what the side effects are. Hopefully you and your doctor will be able to narrow down the things that are causing your symptoms. Definitely see a neurologist or other doctor though. My doctors have helped SOOOOOO much with my Vertigo symptoms- i don't usually have symptoms unless i miss a dose of my medicine- hopefully your doctor will be able to help you
Feel better hon- till you can get in to see a doctor- try taking naps (sometimes, when i get them really bad- sleeping is all i feel like doing.) I hope you get to feeling better soon
Yeah, I get them bad! Had to go to the hospital once for a shot...........................It's been a while since I have seen a doctor about them, my family doctor new I had them but I haven't seen him in 5 years and I am sure there are new treatments...........at least I hope! They do run in my family, sure thats not a good sign.................

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Yeah, I get them bad! Had to go to the hospital once for a shot...........................It's been a while since I have seen a doctor about them, my family doctor new I had them but I haven't seen him in 5 years and I am sure there are new treatments...........at least I hope! They do run in my family, sure thats not a good sign.................
A visit to a doctor is definitely in order
It is better to take care of yourself now and take precautionary/prevenative measures to ensure your health than to let it go unattended to and let it get worse. I'm sure there are new options out on the market- and a good doctor should be able to lead you in the right direction
I hope you get the help you need for your headaches- you should not have to suffer with them
(definitely start a food journal and bring it in to your doctor appointment- see if anything you're eating is triggering your headaches- write down everything you eat and the times you eat and the times you get a headache- it could be dietary or medicinally related. Good luck!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get migranes really bad and it runs in my family, they did do a cat skan and i seen that I have chronic sinusitus which I never had sinuses till last year, but they werent able to see anything besides the chronic sinusitus whihc is always there and well I hate the migranes, I usually have to take 4 advils even though the little bottle says to take 2, but 2 doesnt work at all. They did have me on some medicine and it didnt work at preventing them at all, i honestly had a little headache every day instead ! and it made me gain some weight
so I went off of that! And well I am getting a headache right now but I think thats because I am tired but I am fighting to do school work...my mom was on my school computer ALL DAY ordering stuff of coarse
well just from dell, and looked at other sites and didnt find any bedding she liked !!! And my brothers supposed to be calling soon
and i am sooooooo TIRED !!! But I can tell the difference of a sinus headache and a migrane and honeslty the sinus headache leads to a migrane and it gets so bad sometimes I have it for a few days
it really sux !

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

But I can tell the difference of a sinus headache and a migrane and honeslty the sinus headache leads to a migrane and it gets so bad sometimes I have it for a few days
it really sux !
No kidding, there's a big difference in how they feel.

When I get one I generally wish my head would fall off.
But, since that never happens...
I've given up on taking anything OTC, it does not help and usually just makes me more nauseous. Cold wash cloth, dark room, and sleep if I can before the pain starts. I usually have at least a half hour warning of feeling very odd and/visual disturbances.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

I get migranes really bad and it runs in my family, they did do a cat skan and i seen that I have chronic sinusitus which I never had sinuses till last year, but they werent able to see anything besides the chronic sinusitus whihc is always there and well I hate the migranes, I usually have to take 4 advils even though the little bottle says to take 2, but 2 doesnt work at all. They did have me on some medicine and it didnt work at preventing them at all, i honestly had a little headache every day instead ! and it made me gain some weight
so I went off of that! And well I am getting a headache right now but I think thats because I am tired but I am fighting to do school work...my mom was on my school computer ALL DAY ordering stuff of coarse
well just from dell, and looked at other sites and didnt find any bedding she liked !!! And my brothers supposed to be calling soon
and i am sooooooo TIRED !!! But I can tell the difference of a sinus headache and a migrane and honeslty the sinus headache leads to a migrane and it gets so bad sometimes I have it for a few days
it really sux !
Totally agree with you there! I also suffer from allergies and sinus problems. I have a ultra sensitive sense of smell, think its all connected! The thing I hate is when I get the migraine in my stomach, sometimes only there but with all the side effects, lights, sound, movement....... I love the show House and there was an episode where he had a migraine, perfect example!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i dont get them that much maybe 2 a year.
but normally i hunt for something to make me sleep, i go to bed, shut all the door and windows, hide the phone, and play some classical music, for some reason tht does not hurt. But the TV , rock, jazz, all make me fell like i want to throw up.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one last night. I took Tylenol PM and went to bed. This morning it was gone.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get that many migraines, but they are not fun, to put it mildly. I only developed them in the past 10 yrs or so. Since I don't get more than 6 or so a year, the doctor suggested Excedrin Migraine. Take it at the first sign. I then have to go to sleep in a dark room. Usually I'll take one of my cats as a snuggle but shut the other out. He likes to jump up on the bed and walk over me...and that would cause too much pain.

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orig. from Texas.. Currently in Minnesota (again)
i get horrible migraines i usually black out the window in my room turn the air conditioner on high make sure that there are absolutely no lights coming from anywhere and that there is no noise in the room (if i can i get everyone not to make noise in the rest of the house) smells bug me too no one can cook anything cause i will do the same thing ill be leaning over the side of the bed over the trash can.and i stay in there till it goes away (after i usually pass out) if that dont work my husband takes me to the e.r and i end up getting a shot that knocks me out

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two prescriptions that I take. I also try and do a bit of meditation. I go to a quiet place and just try and relax my entire body - from my forward, moving down to my feet. I know it sounds dumb, but it does relax the body and the blood vessels, allowing more blood to flow into the brain!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last 3 months I have been getting a migraine 8 days before my period. The first since is optical, then numbness, then the headache. It's only been the last 3 months that I get the headache. I take excedrin migraine & 3-4 advils. Then 8 hours later I take a sinus pill for the lingering headache. They started about 5-6 years ago. I mostly got them at work. I went to the ER once when my tongue went numb. The two times I saw the family doc he said my sinuses were a mess.

My cousin gets them really bad. She will spend days sleeping and not eating. There is a new pill out there that really seems to work wonders for her. Imitrex stopped working for her.

Talk to your doctor.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have suffered with headaches all my life and get Migraines also. I haven't had one in a long time but I did what you do, took meds and laid down in a dark room with silence, no TV or radio. Till this day I still suffer with headaches, my doctor says it's stress but who knows. I keep plenty of Advil on hand. Hope your migraines stay away.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are you feeling today? I hope you're doing better and can get in to see a doctor soon

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too suffer from these horrindous things, we call migraines!!
I usually just try and rest, take some exedrin migraine and use a cool rag on my head.

Sometimes though, nothing helps!!
(for me anyways)