Maxximum Nutrition New Formula

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Theyve changed their formula since the last time i bought it (a few months ago). here is the new formula:

chicken, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, chicken fat preserved with mixed tocopherals (form of vitamin E), ground wheat, natural chicken flavor, carrots, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, peas, potassium chloride, cranberry pomace, salt, choline chloride, taurine, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, L-carnitine, proteinated minerals (zinc, copper, manganese), zine oxide, copper sulfate, niacin, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, thiamine mononitrate (sourse of vitamin B1), riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), sodium selenite, folic acid, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate.

old forumla:
chicken, corn gluten meal, chicken meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed tocopherals (form of vitamin E), wheat flour, ground yellow corn, phosphoric acid, sodium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, salt, animal digest, brewers dried yeast, choline chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamin mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
a little improvement in the no DIGEST now...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
and there is more meat, and they added vegies and cranberries. i think it looks pretty good )

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont like veggies in a dry food unless it is only as a fiber and cranberry pumace is the skin and not likely to help .....

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
why dont you like veggies in dry food?
but yeah at least they took out the digest, i think thats the main problem most people had with it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CATS dont need but 3% total veggie or fiber matter ... Veggie allergies in cats are getting to the rampent pt due to so many foods putting them in ... PEAS are the number 1 veggie allergy in cats .... If a veggie is in a dry food I like it near the middle to bottom :0... My Zoey s food has veggie fiber the 10th ingrediant which is about 3% of the total
..... veggies in wet food are a bit better since most veggies have water in that state... MY raw feeder GETS NO VEGGIES ... and my vet said that is fine and actually good

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i dont know anything about cranberry pomace but your statement made me curious. this is just something i found online:

"Cranberry pomace contains large amounts of phenolic glycosides, which are important sources of free phenolics that have many food uses such as antioxidants, flavorings, and nutraceuticals."

"Cranberry pomaces, byproduct from fruit juice and concentrate processing, are rich in natural pigments, phenolic antioxidants, organic acids, proteins, cellulose and pectin. Unfortunately, this useful resource hasn't been well utilized."

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

CATS dont need but 3% total veggie or fiber matter ... Veggie allergies in cats are getting to the rampent pt due to so many foods putting them in ... PEAS are the number 1 veggie allergy in cats .... If a veggie is in a dry food I like it near the middle to bottom :0... My Zoey s food has veggie fiber the 10th ingrediant which is about 3% of the total
..... veggies in wet food are a bit better since most veggies have water in that state... MY raw feeder GETS NO VEGGIES ... and my vet said that is fine and actually good
i wonder why everyone always recommeds a bunch of super premium foods loaded with veggies as the best foods?

at least the peas are #11, and the carrots are #8

ill hafta get ahold of the ingredient list for the indoor formula. that one doesnt have veggies, but it does have alfalfa i think and cellulose(sp). i think you said before those are no good?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
alfalfa is an allergen and many Premium makers have substituted other things... My Kandie did okay on a formula with it

Cellulose unless source specified is likely saw dust ...

Many holistic foods think that veggies and fruits are nessary ...cause they use the "food pyramid " for humans to create ...lol... i think it is kinda funny to read a food and go darn this sound s good for me ... when cat s are CARNIVORES

I would take veggies over cellulose...

pumace does contain those things but it is the skin which is mainly water so how much survives the cooking process???? that is why I prefer powder the water is gone and the potency can be quantified and quality checked

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to feed my boys that, and when they switched their formula, Davidson got really sick, and I had to stop feeding it. It's a good formula for buying it at WalMart... I just wish they didn't change their formula, they were doing so well on the old one

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hmmm well i just bought a small bag of it today cause their (my cats) old formula bag (mine are doing very well on it too) is almost empty. hmm hope they do well on the new formula. what did you switch to?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

hmmm well i just bought a small bag of it today cause their (my cats) old formula bag (mine are doing very well on it too) is almost empty. hmm hope they do well on the new formula. what did you switch to?
I just finished up the bag of Science Diet I/D the vet gave me, so I'm on a hunt to find another good food.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you might want to look at Authority if you have a petsmart near you. i remember i used to like it but i cant remember the ingredients now. my first cat did as well on that as she did on the maxximum nutrition, and it only costs a few cents more as i recall.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

you might want to look at Authority if you have a petsmart near you. i remember i used to like it but i cant remember the ingredients now. my first cat did as well on that as she did on the maxximum nutrition, and it only costs a few cents more as i recall.
The closest petsmart is 45 min from me- I only have WalMart to choose from. I do have a feed store in town so I'm gonna check that out too, as I know they have good foods to choose from.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh ok, well the feed store here has chicken soup which i tried but my cat did poorly on it, good price tho and the ingredients look good and a lot of cats do well on it. (im sure you already know that anyway).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
top feed store picks

chicken soup
nutro most have max
solid gold
sensible choice

sportmix is the best overall price and some feeds have it or can get it ( if they carry pedigree or pro pac they likely can get it )

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did I read this right? This brand of dry cat food has no fish? I didn't miss anything, did I?

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
nope, no fish, why?

there are lots of dry foods that dont contain fish.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for double checking that for me (I'm tired...
). I have at least one cat that is allergic to fish, and 2 others who got bladder infections when I bought the wrong Felidae recently (I bought the original, that has fish, instead of the Chicken and Rice
). I also have to drive at least 25-35 minutes one way to get the Felidae (or any other pet store brand cat food), but I have a Walmart in town, and it would save me a lot of time and money if my Walmart is carrying it
. I think I will give it a try- I liked their kitten formula with my last foster kitten.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ooooh, well let me know how it goes if you try it, its worked well for both of my kitties
still have a few days before we start in on the new formula though. ill have to check their dog food and see if they've improved that too. im thinking they probably did, that would explain why i saw all the old bags on clearance last month.