The worst case of animal abuse i've seen in a long time.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So yea, while there were many good things that happened this week at work- lots of adoptions and lots of successful spay/neuters. There was also something really aweful that happened. This week we had the worst case of animal abuse i've seen in quite a while surface at our shelter. Yesterday, we got a little dog in who was COVERED head to toe in matts. I mean matts so bad that poop was stuck all the way over him. He had urine stains and matts so bad that they were causing him a tremendous amount of pain and making him bleed. It was just aweful. I about cried when i first saw him- so did the rest of us.
This little guy's face was so horibly matted that one of his eyes was covered up so bad we thought he didn't even have his little eye there. It was aweful
Yesterday they started grooming part of him- but it was soooooooo aweful they couldn't do it all at once. Today was our spay neuter day. We spend 3 hours- yeah 3 only getting 1/2 of his matts off of him just to neuter him. After he was neutered, 3 of us spent another hours shaving off the rest of his matts. It was so aweful we had to do it little by little to make sure we didn't cut his skin. This poor dog was covered in blisters from the urin burns that resulted from the matted fur on his rear end. He had AWEFUL matts between the tufts of his feet too- it took me 15 minutes just to get one out. His claws were so long they were about to start curling- i trimmed those well so we don't have to worry about that now thank goodness. And to make things more interesting- he had severe matts and ear mites all in his little ears- we could not trim the fur out of there-no possible way....so we had to use medical instruments to pluck the fur out. His matts were sooo bad he was under anestesia the entire time so he wouldn't feel anything. That alone wasn't the worst part- the worst part was his poor face- we thought he didn't even have an eye on his right side because of all the black gunk and matted fur- when we shaved and cleaned that area up we saw that his eye was perfectly normal!
He had just been able to use one eye and been 1/2 blind because he wasn't groomed!GURRRRRRRR! I was furious- we all were. This poor little guy was soooooo miserable. It took us two darn days to groom him and completly have him. This poor dog has had it sooo bad
I feel aweful for him. When we FINALLY got him shaved and got all the matts out of him we were able to determine his breed- he's a lasaopsa (sp?). This poor dog did not deserve this!
I SERIOUSLY hope whoever did this to this poor pup gets what they deserve in life!
This dog was never groomed or taken good care of- it's aweful. Thank goodness now though he will be safe with us- we are going to make sure that this dog has nothing but the best of life now and that he gets the most loving and wonderful home possible. He deserves nothing but the best in life after this. Please keep this little guy in your prayers that he finds a good home. His name is Hairy.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, who the hell would let their dog get that way??

:censor::censor::censor::censor:!!

I am sending him many prayers..poor little guy

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending Hairy tons and tons of hugs and prayers from Mississippi.

Please keep us posted on how this little guy is doing, and let us know when he finds him a forever home.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh nikki that is just terrible.
thank heaven people like you were there for him.
and I bet he wouldnt have lasted on minute in those grooming sessions if he wasnt knocked out. it just sounds so bad.

How is his temperment with humans so far? I bet the poor thing is just terrified.

Oh bless your heart and keep us updated on Matty the dog

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got in a dog like that at our humane society once so I know exactly what you are talking about. It made you nauseated just thinking about how the poor baby felt. We also had to put him under to shave him.

Some people just deserve to be shot!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Aw, who the hell would let their dog get that way??

:censor::censor::censor::censor:!!

I am sending him many prayers..poor little guy
I don't know
A firefighter wound up finding the poor pup and brining him in- he was definitely someone's dog though- someone who didn't care!

Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I am sending Hairy tons and tons of hugs and prayers from Mississippi.

Please keep us posted on how this little guy is doing, and let us know when he finds him a forever home.
Absolutely! As soon as he gets adopted i'll update everyone. I'm hoping the little guy feels better now without all of those matts.

Originally Posted by EricaNicole

Oh nikki that is just terrible.
thank heaven people like you were there for him.
and I bet he wouldnt have lasted on minute in those grooming sessions if he wasnt knocked out. it just sounds so bad.

How is his temperment with humans so far? I bet the poor thing is just terrified.

Oh bless your heart and keep us updated on Matty the dog
He is really scared of humans- the other day when we got him they considered euthanizing him for a moment because he was growling and had a really bad attitude- but given his condition- we just couldn't bring ourselves to do so- we wanted to give him a fesh start at life. I have a feeling that now that he's all cleaned up- and with some positive and good interaction with him- he'll be ready for a home soon. He obviously has had bad experiences with people in the past- so it's going to take him time to trust us. But it's ok- we're putting tons of time and energy into making sure that little fella knows he's safe with us. You're right- he definitely wouldn't have lasted a minute being groomed without sedation- the extent of the matts were just sooooooooo rediculiously bad- the vet gave him extra pain meds. when she neutered him so that he wouldn't be in more pain from the grooming. What was really aweful was his ears and eyes- his ears were sooooo bad that there were matts in the inside of his ear- we couldn't shave that part- we had to take surgical tools and pluck it. I felt sooo bad having to do that to the little guy- but it was the only way
At least he was asleep during it.

Originally Posted by Momofmany

We got in a dog like that at our humane society once so I know exactly what you are talking about. It made you nauseated just thinking about how the poor baby felt. We also had to put him under to shave him.

Some people just deserve to be shot!
I agree

Originally Posted by Dragoriana

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lhasapoo.htm

beautiful little things. Poor little puppy, i hope his skin will clear up and he'll be able to find a nice home to go to

People like that give me a good excuse to get a shotgun
Thankyou- he definitely will be a handsome fellow when all of his fur grows back and he starts to heal. / Haha i agree on the shotgun thing

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This still just breaks my heart, Nikki I know that you will give this puppy all the love that he needs, the poor little thing is probably just so scared.

I am so glad that you got this new job so you will be there for this puppy, he just needs to learn that there are people in this world who will love him and take care of him, and I feel better just knowing that there are people like you at this shelter who will do just that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

This still just breaks my heart, Nikki I know that you will give this puppy all the love that he needs, the poor little thing is probably just so scared.

I am so glad that you got this new job so you will be there for this puppy, he just needs to learn that there are people in this world who will love him and take care of him, and I feel better just knowing that there are people like you at this shelter who will do just that.

I really appreciate that
/ The rest of the staff and I are making sure this sweet dog gets the best care possible. The entire staff is excellent- everyone is there for the right reasons and really care about the animals (it's not that way at a lot of shelters- so ours is definitely a blessing
) I definitely love this job- i feel like right now it's definitely where i need to be helping out those animals. I love that part. We didn't post any pictures of him on the website yet as he was sooooooo matted and nasty. (we didn't finish up grooming him until right when i left today) so pictures will probably be up in the next few days of Hairy. (i don't do the website). As soon as some are posted- i'll post a link. He really is a cute little guy.
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that he warms up to us and starts to trust humans so that he will be adoptable. We're trying to do everything we can for the little guy. He deserves it.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That is criminal. Thank you and the rest of your coworkers for taking care of the little guy.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stuff like that makes me very very angry. Lapsos arent that hard to groom and take care of...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr stupid people

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His new name should be Matty.
I am sorry to hear about this little guys ears and eyes. I cant even imagine it and if i were there with you guys I too would be crying away.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I really appreciate that
/ The rest of the staff and I are making sure this sweet dog gets the best care possible. The entire staff is excellent- everyone is there for the right reasons and really care about the animals (it's not that way at a lot of shelters- so ours is definitely a blessing
) I definitely love this job- i feel like right now it's definitely where i need to be helping out those animals. I love that part. We didn't post any pictures of him on the website yet as he was sooooooo matted and nasty. (we didn't finish up grooming him until right when i left today) so pictures will probably be up in the next few days of Hairy. (i don't do the website). As soon as some are posted- i'll post a link. He really is a cute little guy.
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that he warms up to us and starts to trust humans so that he will be adoptable. We're trying to do everything we can for the little guy. He deserves it.
I think he will warm up Nikki, I think he just hasta realize that there are people in this world that will love him and take care of him. Hugs to you and your staff for taking on this little puppy and loving him like you are.

Is is health good?

And didn't I read somewheres that ya'll are a no kill shelter too?

Just keep us posted please on his condition.

afraser1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My thoughts are going out to little Hairy i hope he feels better soon. i hate seeing animals mistreated i used to have a black belgian shepherd and his coat was a knightmare to brush but it was done at least once a week and he was a big dog it wouldnt take long to do such a little pup it makes me cringe i hope they find out who the owner(torturer) was and they get whats coming to them.

i wish i lived near you i would take the little thing i love those dogs.

lots of hugs and prayers going out to him.

angela xx

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
This animal should not have been neglected to this point.
My parents had a Lhasa/Chow (with enough hair for two dogs). It was hard brushing him as he didn't like it but every spring, my mom did take him to the groomer to get shaved and remove any minor mats that developed.

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The worst thing about seeing a dog that matted is that it takes a LONG time to get to that point. That means months of suffering that dog went through. I'm glad he's with you now, I bet he feels much better!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll keep Hairy in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he finds a good home.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

The worst thing about seeing a dog that matted is that it takes a LONG time to get to that point. That means months of suffering that dog went through. I'm glad he's with you now, I bet he feels much better!

This just makes me so mad
I am so glad that some one found this little pup and brought him to you guys, and now he is getting a second chance at life

this little pup is in my thoughts and prayers

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people don't deserve to have pets. It makes me wonder what the hell they are thinking?
Would they treat their children this way? The one major difference between a child and a pet is the language barrier. Would they be treated differently if they could talk? Sometimes I wonder...my mom has a friend who treats her dogs just as that. A dog. No major concerns when there is an issue with bad behavior or that something might be wrong healthwise. Does not even consider it a part of the family...she is taken care of, but just the basics. I have to really wonder about people sometimes. Probably the reason I like my cat better than most people I know.