Rescue Kitten ...Questions???

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a kitten(about 5months) from a rescue today. They told me he was timid and scared but..omg...he is spitting, hissing, and scratched me twice.
When I first got him home he was scared but he layed with me purring for about an hour letting me rub him the whole time. I put him in the bathroom and left him alone for a little while and he became evil. I love a challenge but, I would like some advice. How should I handle him, and should I let my other cats in once in a while to visit him? He seemed calmer when they were around and they got along...no hissing..nothing
Any advice would be appreciated...Thanks

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that you just need to be patient with the new kitty, if they told you he was timid and scared then he probably is, and now he is in a new place so he is that much more scared. And he is just a little kitty, I would just try to love him as much as he will let me right now. If you go to fast you will probably make him more scared.

Keep us posted on how he is doing.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little guy had his whole world rocked today. I would just leave him be to get settled into your place before you engage with him. If you aren't having any issues between him and the other cats, then the other cats will help him to settle in. But don't force that on him either - separate them if you see any problems between them.

In the mean time, try some of these techniques:
- never look him in the eye and if he happens to catch your eye, slowly blink at him (greeting in cats)
- sit in a room with him (on the floor) and read aloud. Get him used to your voice
- feed him at the same time every day and get him into a normal routine
- if he finds a sleeping spot, put a sweaty tshirt or other clothing item that smells like you in that area. Get him used to your smell.

But most of all, give him time.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

- never look him in the eye and if he happens to catch your eye, slowly blink at him (greeting in cats)
You can also yawn some, like friendly cats do.

And stretch yourself, being on all fours. Like cats do when they want to greet another friendly cat.

(thus the extensive cat yawning and stretching ISNT proof for laziness in cats as the myth says - these are in main signs fo friendship....).

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww bless the little mite, he´s just a tad scared, its all very new to him, new smells, new home, new buddies.........anyway some great advice, so lots of luck and just take your time with him
Keep us posted !

Love the blinking at him - we call that kissing with your whiskers

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Poor little guy had his whole world rocked today. I would just leave him be to get settled into your place before you engage with him. If you aren't having any issues between him and the other cats, then the other cats will help him to settle in. But don't force that on him either - separate them if you see any problems between them.

- sit in a room with him (on the floor) and read aloud. Get him used to your voice
- feed him at the same time every day and get him into a normal routine
- if he finds a sleeping spot, put a sweaty tshirt or other clothing item that smells like you in that area. Get him used to your smell.

But most of all, give him time.
This is a great post, I agree with you, the poor little kitty just needs time.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, kitties - old or young - need time to adjust. I know you already have cats, but this may help. Dogs want to make people happy. Cats are territory oriented - and it takes time to make new territory their own, to feel comfortable, and to feel safe. The more time you can spend with him - ignoring him - the better. Like Amy said - just being in the same room reading out loud is a great idea.

The blinking thing - I call it "looking at kitty with your eyes closed." It really helps!

You can also get another t-shirt really sweaty - and if he's separated in a room, or if he finds a spot that is "his," put that down with treats on it for him. This not only helps him get used to your smell, it helps him to associate you with good things.

Engaging him in play with a wand toy, feeding him from a spoon (as a treat, not his normal food) - these are things that may help him become more comfortable with you as a bringer of good things. But if he shows fear, don't force it on him. That's the most important thing. Each cat has his/her own timetable, and the most important thing we can give them is time.

But if he gets along with the other kitties without trouble, then he will learn quickly from them that love is good, play is fun, and people aren't scary.

I don't know how old he was when rescued, or how long he was at the shelter. But just remember that he has no experience outside of that to let him know that he is safe and that you mean him no harm. That's why just being around him without trying to interact with him is so important.

We have six kitties - they are all feral rescues. The one we were most patient with and didn't force our interaction upon is the one that now is the most loving of them all. So the more patience you have with him, the closer your bond with him will be in the long run.

Thank you for rescuing this kitty!

Don't forget - any questions you have, feel free to ask. And we always love updates and pictures!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tyler is his new name and he is doing great. Having other cats in the house really helped. Tyler and our other male cat Tiger are best buddies. Tyler follows every move Tiger makes. He is eating good. He is roaming the whole house and very playful. We talk to him but do not try to touch or grab at him. He is comming closer and very curious when the other cats come for there hugs and kisses. I waited until he fell asleep yesterday and held him to clean his ears. He had earmites something terrible.
From what I understand he has been in the shelter with two siblings for a few weeks, they rescued them from that cold spell (-20 windchill) we had a few weeks ago. Poor babies. Wish I had the room and I would have taken all.
He is about 5 months old. I will put pics on soon.