Neutering. Does it make a difference?

dottydotcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had our male cat neutered ("fixed") about two years ago. It doesn't seem to have done much good. He still roams the neighborhood. And last night, to our surprise, he was having sex with a new girlfriend to the neighborhood. Does it really do any good to have tomcats neutered? Isn't neutering supposed to insure that they'll stay close to home and not produce kittens?

After witnessing that passionate scene last night, I think I'm gonna take him back to my vet for a booster fix, or ask for my money back.

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The best way to keep your cat from wandering the streets is to keep him indoors...

Sure he's not impregnating any females, but he could still be fighting, or being chased by dogs or mean people. It would be awful if he was hit by a car!

Your cat will have a much longer life if you keep him indoors...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vast majority of neutered males will not roam, spray or have any interest in mating. But, there is the small minority who will roam, spray and "mate"...all or some of those things, anyway. Neutering ensures that they can't impregnate a female, but they are still capable of mating.

How old was your cat when he was fixed? Sometimes, when they are neutered AFTER they are sexually mature, the behaviors are 'habit' and don't go away.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just keep him in. Yes it is a good thing to neuter males for many reasons: main ones are (1) no more producing more kittens, (2) lower risk of cancers; (3) no more spraying.

Why are you not keeping him inside? He risks fighting, picking up fleas/ticks, cruel people or other animals can kill him and most important he risks coming in contact with positive FELV or FIP cats....which is a death sentence.

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dottydotcom

And last night, to our surprise, he was having sex with a new girlfriend to the neighborhood.

After witnessing that passionate scene last night, I think I'm gonna take him back to my vet for a booster fix, or ask for my money back.
LOL that cracked me up

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having 7 outdoor/indoor neutered cats (3 were fixed when they were adults) I can understand your confusion. In my experience, the 3 adult fixed males still roam but not far, they still get into fights protecting their territory (even if the stranger is female). The spraying is greatly minimized although one took a long time. I do think that they can get attached to a female but never to mate.
I think you should check with your vet. I find it strange that the "girlfriend" submitted to the mating. My "experienced" girls (also spayed when adults) can tell if a tom is fixed or not.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your confusion is well justified! This is not normal behavior for a neutered cat.......I have heard of a few incomplete neuters or spays...possibly he still has a bit of the old amo in his gun left
. Does he have any characteristics physically of a tom cat? Broad neck and chest,
maybe some sack in the back
. This happened with my neighbors cat, he still had half his stuff and kept beating up his brother.........

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Your confusion is well justified! This is not normal behavior for a neutered cat.......I have heard of a few incomplete neuters or spays...possibly he still has a bit of the old amo in his gun left
. Does he have any characteristics physically of a tom cat? Broad neck and chest,
maybe some sack in the back
. This happened with my neighbors cat, he still had half his stuff and kept beating up his brother.........
Umm neutered cats still have (small) "sacks"...much to Leopold's dismay they do seem to shrivel a bit more when they get older
but neutered boys still have obvious (however small) balls.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neutered males all have decent sized "sacks" too. It doesn't all disappear, just gets smaller and in some cases, shrivels up.

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Male cats who are neutered late can still perform the act. This goes for other animals to. I have seen it in both cats and horses.
They are not as interrested as before though. I had a cat who was neutered at the age of four and he helped a couple of "ladies" out when there was noone else around and they where very insisting.
The good part is that there will not be any kittens.
Mating cats spread a lot of diseases. It doesn't neccessarily hurt the adult cats mating but the kittens will be born ill and often die a terrible death.
Good that you neuterd him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dottydotcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We thank all of you for your responses. The situation is much clearer. In summary, it seems that a neutered cat in some cases can still have the urge, go through the motions, might roam a little, but won't impregnate.

I of course know you guys are right by advising us to keep him inside. We're always worried about him. Several months ago one of our kitties wandered off and never returned.

Our cat is so happy and pampered. Except for kitchen counter tops, he has the run of the house and all the neighborhood as well. (He looks just like "Pumpkin" in beandip's posts.) We hate to deprive him of his freedom. He loves the outdoors. We'd prefer he have a possibly shorter, happy life than to be sentenced to life in prison.

We adopted him from a next-door neighbor. The neighbor was not mistreating him but was neglecting him. Some people think cats are like range cattle -- graze on grass and wait for it to rain to drink water.

Thanks again to all.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sad that you really consider a cat to spend its entire life INSIDE as a prison!

None of my cats, especially the pedigrees have any interest in outside - they have total run of the house - hardly a prison