Teeth pulling vibes for Stumpy

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stumpy was diagnosed with plasmacytic stomititus last year and he's been on various medications since that time. We knew he would get to a point where the medicine would quit helping him and we've just reached that time. He's in severe pain right now.

He goes in Monday morning to have the right side of his mouth and all front teeth removed. We're leaving his left side molars for now as that side of his mouth isn't really affected at this time.

Here's the original thread if you are curious about the disease:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88900

So I'll be on pins and needles until we get thru the extraction. Then on pins and needles for a while longer until we see if this really provides him the relief that he needs. There's always a chance that it could simply go to the left side, and a chance that it doesn't relieve the problem in his gums. As the vet said this afternoon as we talked about relieving his pain: its this or euthanasia.

My poor little Stumpy!!!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor little baby. I'm so sorry
i hope this helps your boy *hugs*

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending many good vibes to your precious Stumpy. I hope he feels better soon.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Twitch had all her teeth removed & the surgery went so well! Within a few days she was eating like crazy, playing like crazy....she was so much happier! I hope this solves Stumpy's problems...sounds like Stumpy's just miserable right now...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My Twitch had all her teeth removed & the surgery went so well! Within a few days she was eating like crazy, playing like crazy....she was so much happier! I hope this solves Stumpy's problems...sounds like Stumpy's just miserable right now...
I remember you telling me about this when this all started. Stumpy is absolutely miserable right now and we are hoping that we can get him back to his old self.

Thanks all for your vibes!! Keep them coming all weekend long please!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Found this closeup of his poor little face (taken before he became ill). Please direct your vibes to his right side and front teeth! (I'm trying to stay light about this - humor me please)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not one to beg, but know the power of TCS vibes......seriously, if the teeth extractions do not relieve his pain, there are no options left for him. The vet suggested euthanasia as the final alternative.

Please send my Stumpy vibes!!!! I need the power of TCS!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twitch & I are sending massive {{{VIBES}}} to Stumpy!!!

Just as an afterthought. My vet said that a cat can still be having problems from a major extraction like 6 months later. Twitch would still have days where she acted like she was in great pain 4 months later.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mega for Stumpy! Amy, do you know if stomatitis is infectious? I've been a bit confused this past week, because a local shelter is trying to home a cat with stomatitis, and is insisting that the cat be an "only child" or placed in a household with other cats suffering from stomatitis. I thought there was a genetic element, as it seems to be prevalent among Maine Coons, and the shelter's demand has left me befuddled.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stomatitis isn't contaigous. Some cats are more gentically prone to it, yes. I don't know why the kitty at the shelter would need to be an only child?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Mega for Stumpy! Amy, do you know if stomatitis is infectious? I've been a bit confused this past week, because a local shelter is trying to home a cat with stomatitis, and is insisting that the cat be an "only child" or placed in a household with other cats suffering from stomatitis. I thought there was a genetic element, as it seems to be prevalent among Maine Coons, and the shelter's demand has left me befuddled.
From my understanding, stomatitis is a very generic term for gum inflamation from various causes. What Stumpy has is not infectious. They would need to know the underlying cause. I have heard from vets that it can be infectious, but with a lot of qualifiers around it.

This is the 3rd cat that I've had with stomatitis. Stumpy is the only one where we have diagnosed the underlying cause. Skin scrapings aren't always conclusive because we did biopsy the other 2 cats. The other 2 never infected any other cat in the house and one of them was the house groomer.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Stomatitis isn't contaigous. Some cats are more genetically prone to it, yes. I don't know why the kitty at the shelter would need to be an only child?
Because the people running the shelter are idiots? Sorry, but this shelter also refuses to allow senior citizens to adopt pets of any age. I didn't recall ever reading that stomatitis was contagious, which is why I asked.