DVD and VCR...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never owned a DVD player except the one on my computer, I have always had a VCR. When this VCR finally goes I want to buy a combination DVD recorder/player and VCR recorder/player. I need to have the VCR since I have so many tapes. Do any of you have this combo and is the DVD easy to record on. What brands are you familiar with.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a combo Toshiba. Its works ok except not with our remote control for the TV. My parents and Sis have a Sony which they like-however my parents hardly every use it and my sis doesn't watch tv alot-just movies!!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

I have never owned a DVD player except the one on my computer, I have always had a VCR. When this VCR finally goes I want to buy a combination DVD recorder/player and VCR recorder/player. I need to have the VCR since I have so many tapes. Do any of you have this combo and is the DVD easy to record on. What brands are you familiar with.
Yes, I do have one of them and it is probably one of the easiest things for me to do.

Mine is a Emerson, I got it at Wal-Mart, I think it was about 200 dollars or so.

I make dvd's all the time.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you had better get soon then, cause those combo machines are not going to be around much longer. DVR are replacing the combo drives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I bookmarked that page, it was informative.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by markvg

I have seperate VCR and DVD recorders. I never looked into the combo thing. Doing a quick look, I found this: http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdh...rrecorders.htm

The #6 one is a Sony which is a good brand and it looks like LSU was right at it being around 200 dollars.

I bet the combo machines make it real easy to convert your VCR tapes to DVD.
And mine is a combo too.

It is very easy, if I can do it, anyone can.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Sanyo combo. I had to have my son hook it up, as I am a techno-dummy. It works very well, though (I don't know about recording, as there really isn't anything on TV, that I REALLY want to watch).

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a RCA dvd/vcr combo first, but it was very difficult to understand the directions on how to dubb from vcr to dvd, so I carried it back to wal-mart, and looked at the intructions before I bought it.

The Emerson that I bought is very easy to understand.

I had to use the intruction book the first couple of times that I made a dvd, but now it is nothing. All you have to remember to do is to finalize the dvd so it will work on other dvd players.