Desktop or Laptop?

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering what everyone on here uses. Do you use a Desktop Computer, Laptop or both? What do you prefer to use? I just bought myself a laptop and I think how nice this is to now be able to be on line while I'm cuddling with Sash on the sofa or laying in bed at night instead of sitting at a desk all the time. Heck, I do that enough all day!
I'm also going to enjoy taking it with me when I go to Starbucks and Panera's too! I think it was a good investment, I'm pleased.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the desktop. Need all the room i can for kitty pictures

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally have a desktop. I like it because then I have a desk to work at. Although there are times where I wish I could take it to the couch and sit there. I chat on MSN quite a bit and it'd be nice to be able to do that AND watch tv at the same time. Instead of having to run from room to room.

It all comes down to what you are going to use it for really.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both but it is getting more and more so that all you need is a laptop. In my case, I still have a desktop because I need a huge screen for photo work that I do. Actually my laptop is a 17 inch wide screen but weighs ten pounds, it could certainly serve as a desktop for the majority of people. And despite its weight, I haul it around the world on wheels. I watched a guy at Starbucks the other day pull a PDA out of his shirt pocket and then unfolded a keyboard and accessed the internet from what he carried in his pockets! So, I think a desktop will eventually go the way of the 8 track! (for those of you that can remember)

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like my new Dell desktop, since I no longer work, sitting at the desk doesn't bother me, I'm facing the windows so I can see outside as I type and also check Misty out sitting at the window.
Also since it's in the living room, I can watch TV too.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a laptop in college and it was the worst thing I ever bought! I was always having problems with it. I bought my 1st desktop a year ago, and I adore it. I love it since I have my printer/copier here, its easier to have it all hooked up all the time.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a desktop. I love desktops!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer the laptop for home, and a combination of desktop and laptop at work. I often go and curl up in a beanbag with the laptop at work and work from there for a bit

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a laptop only now, a small Mac Ibook. It is super convenient as we have an airport wireless set up, so I can bring it into the livingroom or up to bed. For day to day it usually lives on the breakfast table. I carry it over to BFs place in a knapsack. When I was travelling, it came with me everywhere. This way we could download our pics every couple of days.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a desktop - can't stand using a laptop. However, my daughter has one and she loves it. And it certainly would make it easier to watch TV and post at the same time - it's a bit of a challenge right now.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a desktop only. I don't think at this point a laptop would be worth the investment.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I had a laptop in college and it was the worst thing I ever bought! I was always having problems with it. I bought my 1st desktop a year ago, and I adore it. I love it since I have my printer/copier here, its easier to have it all hooked up all the time.

I HATE my laptop. Most days I want to throw it out the window. It's one box full of problems for me. I look forward to the day it stops working and I can get a nice, dependable desktop. Looks like that day's not too far off though, my screen tends to cut in and out so sometimes I need to "firmly" shut the lid so it'll jiggle the wires back in place.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol sometimes both at the same time, depends on what the other machine is doing at the time. and sometimes even my web phone

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I prefer laptops. I started out with an old desktop that only had 64 mb ram :p and a 1 gig hard drive. this was years ago..then in 2002 I got a Sony Vaio laptop. I loved it at first, loved having a laptop, it's so convenient, I can take it wherever I want, ect, but the Vaio had problems - the motherboard died after a year and I had to pay 400 bucks to get it replaced. Still, it held up otherwise til a few weeks ago, when I jumped up cos the phone rang, not knowing my leg was tangled in the power chord, went to go answer the phone, and yanked the laptop down off the desk where it crash-banged onto the floor, the fan behind it I used to keep it from overheating landing on top of it. (for the last year of its life, if I didnt have a fan blowing directly at it, it would overheat in ten minutes).

A week later (a week and a half ago last sunday) I got my new laptop
It's an HP dv6265us - 2 gigs of ram, 160 gig hard drive.. I love it
It's also got the new windows Vista, which I'm loving so far - lots of improvements over XP. Saturday we're getting a wireless router, so I can bring the lappy in bed without a million wires trailing everywhere.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely desktop. Laptops are ergonomic atrocities. Computers in general are pretty bad for RSI, but laptops make it 10x worse.

Laptops have their uses (college classroom use, office meeting use, medical, military, field researchers, etc), but for most people, desktops are cheaper, more ergonomic, more powerful, have better upgrade options and are easier to service.

I also muck around quite a bit in my desktop, you just can't muck around in a laptop like you can in a desktop.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a desktop. I do 3D graphics and a desktop has more power to work with those than a laptop. Plus my laptop's motherboard failed so it's sitting gathering dust because it's not worth the money that Dell want's to repair it.