Exotic BAN bill in Ohio

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I am asking for your help. I have been advised by the mods that this would be the best place to post this, for that I am thankful. Many of you know about my love for the big cats and of course, my BIG furbabies, Amber, Boris, Nakoma and Carmelo. Well, my right to own and share my life with these cats is in danger. A bill has been introduced in Ohio, that would regulate the ownership of these cats. I am ok with fair regulations, as many of you are aware. I have always stated, that if you are going to own exotic cats, that you must be responsible, there is no other way. However, the rep who introduced this bill, stated it is a bill that will not prohibit ownership, but make owners more responsible through regulations. However, after reading this bill, the exact opposite is true. The bill is not about regulations, it is about BANNING our right to own these animals. The regulations are so strict, that no one, not even the majority of sanctuaries, would be able to keep their cats. There is NO grandfather clause, meaning even if you did own these cats when Ohio had NO regulations, you would not be able to keep them, unless you could meet all the requirements of the new law. As I stated, this would be next to impossible. If you could not meet the new requirements, the cats would have to be moved to an approved facility. If they can not be moved to an approved facility, then the cats must be DESTROYED
That's right, my exotics could face this same fate. I have lived with these cats for years. I have always went above and beyond in the care I provided for them. My enclosure exceeds the USDA requirements. But, with the new regulations, I will not be able to keep them. The main reason is what's called a "set back rule" In this new bill, my enclosure would have to be 500 feet from all property lines. In other words, if my enclosure is 20 feet wide, my property would have to be a minimum of 1,020 feet wide. That's 1/5 of a mile wide!! That's 500 feet on either side for the set back plus the 20 feet width for the enlcosure. I have a friend who has over 80 acres of land, they can't even meet this requirement, because their property is much longer than it is wide. There is much more to this bill than the set back ruling, that is just the tip of the iceberg. Now, don't get me wrong, as I have stated, I am all for fair regulations, such as caging requirements and so fourth, but this is down right ridiculous. What gets me, is that this rep has gone on TV stating that, he is only for regulations, not prohibiting anyone from owning them. Well, this is a lie and most people, including the lawmakers, will not read the whole bill. They will think, regulations, what's wrong with that? But, if they read it, they would see that they have been lied to. That this bill is a BAN in disguise
What I am asking, if you can help me, pleae PM me and I will keep your contact info. When the time comes, I will let you know what you can do to help. Right now, we are trying to stop it before it goes any further, but 2 days ago, it moved real fast and took us by surprise. So, we need a lot of vibes and prayers from all TCS members and I will let you know as I said, what you can do to help, when that time comes. Please keep us in your prayers, because my babies lives will depend on it. Thanks to TCS for letting me post this here

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is quite a heated issue, so I'm just adding a simple reminder ahead of time that members must be on their absolute best behavior if replying to this thread.

Admin

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I lived in Ohio so I could help with this, but you will have my hearfelt prayers and
for luck in defeating this legislation.
I am pretty sure they have more pressing issues in Ohio than this...

COME ON Buckeyes, STEP UP and BE HEARD!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

I wish I lived in Ohio so I could help with this, but you will have my hearfelt prayers and
for luck in defeating this legislation.
I am pretty sure they have more pressing issues in Ohio than this...

COME ON Buckeyes, STEP UP and BE HEARD!
I sent you a PM

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending you hugs and prayers from Mississippi, I hope everything works out for you and your big cats.

And I will just put a "gris gris" on that bill.

Please keep us posted on this.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hope everything goes well I dont get involved very much polically in news matters as most is either violent, unfair or just plan...stupid.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...lies/agree.gif.

I trust that you guys are good owners. If worse should come to worse and you have to give up your animals maybe you could contact a rescue sanuawary( Miss spelled) an eucation center or a zoo that could take them.
Hope that you win however, I think the law should buck off on this one, maybe if instead of wrongly judging all private owners they sent a officer to the houses of private owners to check the animals living condictons and see that a curtarin statement is meant might be the way to go and something I'd and i'm sure you would agree with. Hope all goes well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

which rep was it?, or did i miss it in your post
Check your PM's, I sent you his name. You can help, since you live in Ohio, by contacting your state rep and asking them not to support House Bill 45. Your state rep is not the one who introduced the bill, but we need to call as many reps as we can asking them not to support it. Just ask them, as your constituent, please do not support this bill. If you need help finding your rep, I can send you a link that will take you there.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi AmberTheBobCat....Love you guys. Wish I could help out, it would be a tragedy for you to lose your babies.

KittenKiya's Clan sends dirty kitty litter, pee pee, and extra strong farts to the one who issued the bill.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hummm I am not near OHIO but send me a pm if I can help....

BANS are always a BAD IDEA ....

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent a email for now to both. I cant call since i am 12,000 miles away right now.
but i will call once i get back in ohio next week. I hope it helps.
your cats are kinda big to hide

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in West Virginia and will do whatever I can to help!!!
It would be such a shame for you to loose your babies.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

OMG, that bill is dead in the water. The power of the gris gris is STRONG!!!!
Yep, and I did pray for it not to be passed last night too.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

The gris gris??
Oh yeah. Belinda is in Mississippi, but the power of her Cajun voodoo gris gris curse is STRONG!!!! Gris gris is a curse to stop something from happening, basically bad mojo....

Is that guy running for reelection? She can screw that up for him too....

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me know if I can help. I am in GA not Ohio but I want you to be able to keep your babies, and all the other responsible owners to keep thiers aswell. I will pray this bill doesn't pass.

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amber,

I know you and I disagree on owning exotics, but this is not the way.
Responcible owners such as yourself should be allowed to grandfather in or at least present a case. Destruction of these beautiful animals is not an option.

I live in WNY, but know at least some people in OH that i can get to help with letters.

Please let me know how i can help.

Ric

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How dirty can they get. This rep is trying to make it look like he is trying to protect society from exotics housed in basements in the city, when in fact it is an outright ban (like John said). I really want to help fight this and I live in Ohio. John, I sent you a PM.