Keeping Up Appearances

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone watch that old comedy show? I love it so much and DVR it every week. I wish they would play them more often.

Anywho I nearly died laughing at last week's episode where Hyacinth says "If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People who think they're superior to everyone else. Makes things so much harder for those of us who actually are."

Those BBC sit-coms are my guilty pleasure that I watch while my boyfriend is not home. He seems to think they are only for old people.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, but of course its British TV we watch - they are doing the re-runs, they are so funny, her one-liners are such pearlers

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm ashamed that this programme is English, it makes me cringe

One of the characters does remind me of my mother however, can you guess which one?

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another great Hyacinth line - "The only reason I'm not part of the aristocracy is an accident of birth".

My late grandmother was a Hyacinth, and she actually had sisters that were like Rose, Daisy and Violet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

Another great Hyacinth line - "The only reason I'm not part of the aristocracy is an accident of birth".
I laughed so loud on that, Moscow woke up and started barking.

They used to play reruns here more often, but now they only play one episode per week. What was that other brit show called that was about a bed and breakfast or something. I loved that one too, but I don't think they play it anymore.

Is the show still in production? I was under the impression it was an older show.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This show just is never going to go away. Like Are you being Served? Our local "educational" channel has been running them for thirty years. I adore both of these but choose Fawlty Towers as my fave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Faulty Towers! That's the name! Thanks for that.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Keeping up. Any old british comedies are a plus with me

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

One of the characters does remind me of my mother however, can you guess which one?
Bruce?

(Violet's cross dressing husband - for those who haven't seen the show.)

Poor Emmett - "She's singing at me!"

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that show - along with the original Fawlty Towers.

Poor Emmett and Richard....

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it and catch reruns when I can. Butit is embarrassing to watch, I agree, only because I think almost every family has someone who is similar to Hyacinth. I have an aunt who is her double and passes off all her shop bought silver as family heirlooms.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was on vacation a few years ago in Pittsburgh and passed a St. Hyacinth Catholic Church. I had visions of a Mrs. Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) statue, waving and with big hat, near the altar!

There are only 43 episodes, produced in the 1990s. Patricia Routledge, who played Hyacinth, was awarded the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2004 Queen's Birthday Honours List and is a beloved actress in Britain.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Mother is Hiacthyn, my dad's name really is Richard
Her sister was married to an Onslow type for years, and I swear my mother cringed everytime she saw him.

Anyone want to come to a "Candlelight Supper"

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cairo

Does anyone watch that old comedy show? I love it so much and DVR it every week. I wish they would play them more often.

Anywho I nearly died laughing at last week's episode where Hyacinth says "If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People who think they're superior to everyone else. Makes things so much harder for those of us who actually are."

Those BBC sit-coms are my guilty pleasure that I watch while my boyfriend is not home. He seems to think they are only for old people.
I absolutely love that show....and Are you being served!!!!...

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cairo

Not exactly the sit-com type of program, but I think the old Monty Pythons were the first British TV shows to be shown on American TV regularly.

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

I love these shows - and Are You Being Served! Are you free, Mr Humphries?
Mrs. Slockum...with her colored hair
Or the old owner...what's his name? The one with the nurses who are 3X younger than him....