TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Will I get sick? (worried!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will I get sick? (worried!)

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I had a can of Spaghetti-Os in my cabinet at work, was going to have it for lunch. Saw that it had a May 2006 expiration date, but the can looked fine, no bulging, no rust, I heard it hiss when I opened it, so I cooked it and then took a bite.

It was bad, very, very bad.

So I threw it all away - but now I'm worried that what little I did take into my mouth (I still have a nasty taste ijn my mouth, bleah!) may have been enough to give me food poisoning.

Oh I hope I'll be ok!!! I'm now eating some soup I had that expires in Aug 2007, so I'm working on getting rid of that bad taste.

I hope I don't get sick!!!
post #2 of 24
I don't think so. Drink lots of water. You should be fine.
post #3 of 24
I doubt that you will get sick. However, opened tomato products in your fridge can send you to the hospital mighty quick as I can attest to. In my case it was some opened V8 juice that had been stuck in the back of the fridge.
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom View Post
I don't think so. Drink lots of water. You should be fine.
I agree, you should be fine, you didn't eat the whole thing so I think you're safe!
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
Running to the water cooler this instant!
post #6 of 24
I actually don't know if the water will help do anything but maybe flush your system if you did get some bacteria that maybe was in the can. Sounds good though right!
post #7 of 24
I hope you don't get sick Betsy....that would totally suck! Although, you do lose massive amounts of weight with food poisoning..... ****runs to cabinets to check for old expired cans of food....
post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl View Post
Although, you do lose massive amounts of weight with food poisoning..... ****runs to cabinets to check for old expired cans of food....
You're too much. Seriously, no one would want to taste the nastiness that is expired S'ketti-Os.

So far, so good...
post #9 of 24
aww, dont think you took too much, but it does make you feel like you are gonna be ill..........I slurped a carton of choco milk that was O.O.D. it was all thick and icky thats what made me spit it out, THEN I checked the date... it was nasty and made me feel horrible for a few hours, but nothing happend so I am sure you´ll be OK
post #10 of 24
I don't think you will get sick because it was sealed and you only took one bite. At least it wasn't expired dairy products or meat!
post #11 of 24
A good nip of your favorite spirit will kill any bacteria you may have ingested! Well, maybe not, but it couldn't hurt!
post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo! View Post
A good nip of your favorite spirit will kill any bacteria you may have ingested! Well, maybe not, but it couldn't hurt!
LOL - I don't think the boss would like it if I kept Tequila at the office.
post #13 of 24
They had canned goods for food in WWII that were packaged for WWI. Canning technology has improved SO MUCH since then! If it were a few years older, maybe I'd be worried. But the most important thing is that the can looked normal, and you heard that "hiss." I'm sure you'll be fine!

Laurie
post #14 of 24
#1 This could be a good excuse to leave work early - food poisoning!! And it happened at work!
#2 Did you know that France canned the first food in 1721! Now that would be an old can of Spagetee-o's
post #15 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnbandcats View Post
#1 This could be a good excuse to leave work early - food poisoning!! And it happened at work!
LOL, I wish! But a coworker broker her hip skiing last weekend and we were already down one salesperson because he left for a new job, so I've been doing triple the work this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnbandcats View Post
#2 Did you know that France canned the first food in 1721! Now that would be an old can of Spagetee-o's
I don't even want to THINK about how that would taste, if just being 10 months past expiration made it taste as bogus as it was!
post #16 of 24
I don't know how long it has been since you "tasted" that stuff, but most people, if they have food poisoning, are in the bathroom within an hour or so.

I, of course, am different. If I eat something that does not agree with me, I am in the bathroom within 1/2 hour.

Sooooo, if you have passed any of these markers, Tammy-Timmy says you will be ok and the next time, she gets the can, OK? ( Some cat can eat anything.....she is one of them)
post #17 of 24
I hope you DON"T get sick from it!!! One bite shouldn't hurt though.
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKiya View Post
I don't know how long it has been since you "tasted" that stuff, but most people, if they have food poisoning, are in the bathroom within an hour or so.

I, of course, am different. If I eat something that does not agree with me, I am in the bathroom within 1/2 hour.

Sooooo, if you have passed any of these markers, Tammy-Timmy says you will be ok and the next time, she gets the can, OK? ( Some cat can eat anything.....she is one of them)
Give Tammy-Timmy some scritches from me, please, and tell her that IF there's a next time, she can have everything that I won't eat.

I haven't even gotten a tummy-ache, so hopefully I'm past any danger of food poisoning!
post #19 of 24
Better consume some bacteria killing alcohol just in case your stomach acts up tonite!!
post #20 of 24
I hope you don't get it- i'm sure you'll be fine seeing as you only had a tiny taste and nothing more. I had food poisioning over the summer- i wouldn't wish that on anyone! It can take between 4-8 hours for symptoms to surface- so be advised that they might not show up at first. When i had food poisioning i had severe nausea, vomiting, diarreah, and cramping. I was miserable. The doctor sent me home and told me there was nothing they could give me for it- that it had to get out of my system So i just tried to stay hydrated and quiet. It went away after a few days. I say that not to scare you but just to let you know that it can take several hours to show up. I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine though hon- you only had a taste- and since you immediately flushed out your system- you got rid of a lot of the bacteria. You should be just fine- but keep an eye out for any symptoms just in case
post #21 of 24
Hope you are still feeling ok, it sounds like you didn't eat much so should be fine

Random fact I found out a few weeks ago, retailers here can sell food well past it's best before date and it is completely legal
post #22 of 24
if you heard a hiss, that would be the carbon dioxide produced by the bacteria that was present. If you didn't swallow the mouthful that you took, you should be okay.

Otherwise, I think you will be okay - you would start to show symptoms by now if you weren't.

(I just did a class on bacteriology last night so this thread comes at a good time, good practice for me! )
post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 
Well, I had some Mike's Hard Lemonade last night, just in case.

And no signs of food poisoning at all. Phew!

Thank you guys for your suggestions and comments!!!
post #24 of 24
Geez, I never check expiration dates on cans! I'm glad you are O.K.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Will I get sick? (worried!)