Will I get sick? (worried!)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a can of Spaghetti-Os in my cabinet at work, was going to have it for lunch. Saw that it had a May 2006 expiration date, but the can looked fine, no bulging, no rust, I heard it hiss when I opened it, so I cooked it and then took a bite.

It was bad, very, very bad.

So I threw it all away - but now I'm worried that what little I did take into my mouth (I still have a nasty taste ijn my mouth, bleah!) may have been enough to give me food poisoning.

Oh I hope I'll be ok!!!
I'm now eating some soup I had that expires in Aug 2007, so I'm working on getting rid of that bad taste.

I hope I don't get sick!!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt that you will get sick. However, opened tomato products in your fridge can send you to the hospital mighty quick as I can attest to. In my case it was some opened V8 juice that had been stuck in the back of the fridge.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I don't think so. Drink lots of water. You should be fine.
I agree, you should be fine, you didn't eat the whole thing so I think you're safe!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Running to the water cooler this instant!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually don't know if the water will help do anything but maybe flush your system if you did get some bacteria that maybe was in the can. Sounds good though right!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you don't get sick Betsy....that would totally suck!
Although, you do lose massive amounts of weight with food poisoning..... ****runs to cabinets to check for old expired cans of food....

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Although, you do lose massive amounts of weight with food poisoning..... ****runs to cabinets to check for old expired cans of food....
You're too much. Seriously, no one would want to taste the nastiness that is expired S'ketti-Os.

So far, so good...

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww, dont think you took too much, but it does make you feel like you are gonna be ill..........I slurped a carton of choco milk that was O.O.D. it was all thick and icky
thats what made me spit it out, THEN I checked the date...
it was nasty and made me feel horrible for a few hours, but nothing happend so I am sure you´ll be OK

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you will get sick because it was sealed and you only took one bite. At least it wasn't expired dairy products or meat!

boo!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A good nip of your favorite spirit will kill any bacteria you may have ingested! Well, maybe not, but it couldn't hurt!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Boo!

A good nip of your favorite spirit will kill any bacteria you may have ingested! Well, maybe not, but it couldn't hurt!
LOL - I don't think the boss would like it if I kept Tequila at the office.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They had canned goods for food in WWII that were packaged for WWI. Canning technology has improved SO MUCH since then! If it were a few years older, maybe I'd be worried. But the most important thing is that the can looked normal, and you heard that "hiss." I'm sure you'll be fine!

Laurie

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
#1 This could be a good excuse to leave work early - food poisoning!! And it happened at work!
#2 Did you know that France canned the first food in 1721! Now that would be an old can of Spagetee-o's

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

#1 This could be a good excuse to leave work early - food poisoning!! And it happened at work!
LOL, I wish! But a coworker broker her hip skiing last weekend and we were already down one salesperson because he left for a new job, so I've been doing triple the work this week.

Originally Posted by lnbandcats

#2 Did you know that France canned the first food in 1721! Now that would be an old can of Spagetee-o's
I don't even want to THINK about how that would taste, if just being 10 months past expiration made it taste as bogus as it was!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how long it has been since you "tasted" that stuff, but most people, if they have food poisoning, are in the bathroom within an hour or so.

I, of course, am different. If I eat something that does not agree with me, I am in the bathroom within 1/2 hour.

Sooooo, if you have passed any of these markers, Tammy-Timmy says you will be ok and the next time, she gets the can, OK? ( Some cat can eat anything.....she is one of them)

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you DON"T get sick from it!!! One bite shouldn't hurt though.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I don't know how long it has been since you "tasted" that stuff, but most people, if they have food poisoning, are in the bathroom within an hour or so.

I, of course, am different. If I eat something that does not agree with me, I am in the bathroom within 1/2 hour.

Sooooo, if you have passed any of these markers, Tammy-Timmy says you will be ok and the next time, she gets the can, OK? ( Some cat can eat anything.....she is one of them)
Give Tammy-Timmy some scritches from me, please, and tell her that IF there's a next time, she can have everything that I won't eat.

I haven't even gotten a tummy-ache, so hopefully I'm past any danger of food poisoning!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better consume some bacteria killing alcohol just in case your stomach acts up tonite!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you don't get it- i'm sure you'll be fine seeing as you only had a tiny taste and nothing more. I had food poisioning over the summer- i wouldn't wish that on anyone! It can take between 4-8 hours for symptoms to surface- so be advised that they might not show up at first. When i had food poisioning i had severe nausea, vomiting, diarreah, and cramping. I was miserable. The doctor sent me home and told me there was nothing they could give me for it- that it had to get out of my system
So i just tried to stay hydrated and quiet. It went away after a few days. I say that not to scare you but just to let you know that it can take several hours to show up. I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine though hon- you only had a taste- and since you immediately flushed out your system- you got rid of a lot of the bacteria. You should be just fine- but keep an eye out for any symptoms just in case