TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Digital Camera ideas???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Digital Camera ideas???

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Ok everyone my moms getting a new camera because well I like ones where i can turn the flash off and take natural pictures, and well with mine I have a red samsung digimax a503 right now and I cant turn the flash off because it takes along time for it to take the picture that way, so I hav convinced my mom to get a new camera she has a kodak easy share from last year or so and hers is 3.0 mp! But her flash works when u turn it off good but well shes insisitng on getting a good camera now (which i am going to hold onto ) But here is what I am looking for, a camera that takes great pictures ecspecially of the cats and outdoors and everything and I see alot of people take really great pics here that look almost professional and well I really want the natural pictures because they look so much better IMO !!! but I need one with flash options and remember this is mainly for the cats And i would really LOVE to capture Stormies eyes since they change and I love it in natural light because u can tell the greeness ! And well any one have any ideas for digital cameras that are really good !!!!??????? Thanx in advance !!
post #2 of 22
I have the Canon A430 and I love it..its really a beginner camera, but It does the trick for me.

I researched cameras for months before buying it too, and Canon is the best one in that price range.
post #3 of 22
Take a look at Persi's site. All of these photos were taken without flash because I NEVER use flash for cats. See if these pictures are like what you want to take. And remember, photo editors can add flash later giving you full control over the contrast and brightness if you so choose. And without any of the red eye problems associated with using flash. Take a look here at the very first page of this link. I held the camera less than a foot in front of Persi's face (with a wide angle lense.) If I had used flash it would have turned out horrible. And note that by NOT using flash the background does not distract from the photo. (This is a case where I controlled the lighting AFTER taking the picture so that his eyes were not red or washed out.)
Persi
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
I have the Canon A430 and I love it..its really a beginner camera, but It does the trick for me.

I researched cameras for months before buying it too, and Canon is the best one in that price range.
well we are dell members and my mom has me researching cameras (I guess I should have done that in the first place for all the things I use the camera for and well it was pretty it was red my favorite color and it seemed good for the most part but now I need more ) But she seen a Canon SD800 IS digital camera for $399 !!! But they dont tell u alot of information on it, it sounds good but idk, I am trying to see everyones opnions on cameras and everything...so I figured i would make my post! I was kind of shocked when my mom said $399 for pirce I was like huh....i got confused because thats alot of money for my mom to spend...I gotta figure out what i did to talk her into buying one tho maybe its cause i kept hinting and never really said mom buy a new camera, i dont think theres nothing wrong with hers its just mine i dont like
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi View Post
Take a look at Persi's site. All of these photos were taken without flash because I NEVER use flash for cats. See if these pictures are like what you want to take. And remember, photo editors can add flash later giving you full control over the contrast and brightness if you so choose. And without any of the red eye problems associated with using flash. Take a look here at the very first page of this link. I held the camera less than a foot in front of Persi's face. If I had used flash it would have turned out horrible. And note that by NOT using flash the background does not distract from the photo.
Persi
hmm..those are great pics, what camera do u have?? Its so hard because well my cats are quick and u have to be quick to capture and with no flash it takes to long and I get a blurry blob running or something
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom View Post
hmm..those are great pics,
Quote:
what camera do u have??
Its so hard because well my cats are quick and u have to be quick to capture
Quote:
and with no flash it takes to long
and I get a blurry blob running or something
I have a Canon G7, a rather top end camera.
You say not using flash takes too long but it is just the opposite. Using flash slows down the time between taking photos. If your camera has burst mode you can take several pictures a second so that you can get just the picture you want as your cats are moving around. Getting back to the not using flash, if your camera has a large aperture such as F2.0, there is little need to ever use flash. But these days it seems that most people are using phones to take pictures.
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi View Post
I have a Canon G7, a rather top end camera.
You say using flash takes too long but it is just the opposite. Using flash slows down the time between taking photos. If your camera has burst mode you can take several pictures a second so that you can get just the picture you want as your cats are moving around. Getting back to the not using flash, if your camera has a large aperture such as F2.0, there is little need to ever use flash. But these days it seems that most people are using phones to take pictures.
hm...i just took a picture with my flash off and i think it took 1-2 minutes to register it...and well I got a blurry blob because stormie moved her head and then I did and other and it still turned out horrible for some reason when my flash is off it takes longer than with the flash on so most of the time I take pictures that way and I delete the ones that turned out really bad !!!
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom View Post
hm...i just took a picture with my flash off and i think it took 1-2 minutes to register it...and well I got a blurry blob because stormie moved her head and then I did and other and it still turned out horrible for some reason when my flash is off it takes longer than with the flash on so most of the time I take pictures that way and I delete the ones that turned out really bad !!!
Well, getting back to your original thought of getting another camera, I have Consumer's Reports that give unbiased reports on all current cameras. Tell me the price range and what you features you must have and I will look up what they have found to be the best and send you that information. Meanwhile, here is an example for you: the second highest rated camera among compacts is the HP Photosmart R817 at a very reasonable price of $220 which of course you can easily beat on the internet. It weighs only 7 ounces but has a 5X OPTICAL zoom, and has a shutter lag of only 1 second, and shutter lag is exactly what you are describing to me. I do see a Samsung on the list with a shutter lag of 9 seconds! I could not live with that, either!
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi View Post
Well, getting back to your original thought of getting another camera, I have Consumer's Reports that give unbiased reports on all current cameras. Tell me the price range and what you features you must have and I will look up what they have found to be the best and send you that information. Meanwhile, here is an example for you: the second highest rated camera among compacts is the HP Photosmart R817 at a very reasonable price of $220 which of course you can easily beat on the internet. It weighs only 7 ounces but has a 5X OPTICAL zoom, and has a shutter lag of only 1 second, and shutter lag is exactly what you are describing to me. I do see a Samsung on the list with a shutter lag of 9 seconds! I could not live with that, either!
well quick photos as u described and well we order through dell ! But they have alot and well my mom appearantly is pricing at $399 i guess thats her limit because on dell u can make payments !!! And our major thing is the flash we want something really good for photos and well I take photos of sunsets and everything often because our view from our deck is GORGEOUS those are on the downstairs computer so I will have to put some up here for all of yinz!!! But I like alot of options with photos but mainly I like to have a good one with short amount of shutter lag as u described and well flashes one where I can turn the flash off and it work good, but the only cameras that i seen dell have are Kodack brands, Olympus, Canon, Panasonic, and Fuji. So if u can find any good ones or have any ideas for any of those please share...thank u so much !!!
post #10 of 22
I have the Canon A630 with 800 mega pixels.... I have to say, it's awesome!
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl View Post
I have the Canon A630
Quote:
with 800 mega pixels
.... I have to say, it's awesome!
I think we are still a few decades away from 800 megapixels! It does have 8 megapixels however and it is rated at the top for compacts.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom View Post
well quick photos as u described and well we order through dell ! But they have alot and well my mom appearantly is pricing at $399 i guess thats her limit because on dell u can make payments !!! And our major thing is the flash we want something really good for photos and well I take photos of sunsets and everything often because our view from our deck is GORGEOUS those are on the downstairs computer so I will have to put some up here for all of yinz!!! But I like alot of options with photos but mainly I like to have a good one with short amount of shutter lag as u described and well flashes one where I can turn the flash off and it work good, but the only cameras that i seen dell have are Kodack brands, Olympus, Canon, Panasonic, and Fuji. So if u can find any good ones or have any ideas for any of those please share...thank u so much !!!
My suggestion to you is to go to the Pittsburgh public library and get a copy of the November, 2006 Consumer Reports and on pages 20-21 you will find all the current crop of digital cameras compared side by side.
post #13 of 22
I had an HP and it burned up plus it felt cheap no weight at all to it, My daughter gave me a little Kodak EasyShare and it wasn't bad, I am not very good at picture taking so I don't think I would invest an arm and leg. I don't take any pictures except for the cats I just bought another Kodak EasyShare C653 it was about $140.00 It has a nice size screen also 3x zoom 6.1 mp, Looks good and seems to be made good, I haven't even tried it yet though.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpint View Post
I had an HP and it burned up plus it felt cheap no weight at all to it, My daughter gave me a little Kodak EasyShare and it wasn't bad, I am not very good at picture taking so I don't think I would invest an arm and leg. I don't take any pictures except for the cats I just bought another Kodak EasyShare C653 it was about $140.00 It has a nice size screen also 3x zoom 6.1 mp, Looks good and seems to be made good, I haven't even tried it yet though.
Yep, I think I see the HP you are talking about, it is rated dead last in Consumer Reports. Strange isn't it, that the same manufactuer can have one of the highest rated and the lowest rated at the same time?
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...9&sku=A0726029

thats wat we got..wat do u guys think?
post #16 of 22
It was an HP 215 and I bet we didnt use it 10 times, it wasnt expensive though. It still looks brand new but we have had it for about 3 years or so maybe more...Its dead
post #17 of 22
Check out this link......there is a lot of good information here.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Winter Hawk
post #18 of 22
Here is another one.....especially if you have some time. It can give you what you want and need all in one place. Then go back to the other link that I posted and look at reviews on the make and model of camera that it says suits your needs.

http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/...nputSummary.do

Winter Hawk
post #19 of 22
I have this camera and it is fairly cheap noe, you can get it for about $250-300 US online and available through Dell too

These are pics I have taken with it

It has lots of manual settings and the natural light setting is really quick. It can take up to 5 pics really quick in burst mode
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
I have this camera and it is fairly cheap noe, you can get it for about $250-300 US online and available through Dell too

These are pics I have taken with it

It has lots of manual settings and the natural light setting is really quick. It can take up to 5 pics really quick in burst mode
If I had that Camera they would still be bad,,, You on the other hand know how to handle that Camera I bet
post #21 of 22
Even my BF can take decent pics with that camera, I use more of the features on it, but it is a great point and shoot too, has a green glowing light for areas of low light that is great for getting the kitties attention
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
Even my BF can take decent pics with that camera, I use more of the features on it, but it is a great point and shoot too, has a green glowing light for areas of low light that is great for getting the kitties attention
Eithne, o my those pics are GORGOEUS I wish we had flowers like that around here to take pictures of but your photos are so great

well we ordered our olympus and no ones said anything about that one or that brand but my mom knows someone who has one like it and she is one of those people that buy the most expensive things has 5 houses and is always traveling to somewhere...man I wish I could do that...as long as i could take my kitties I dont wanna leave them for a night and thats tomarrow, I havent been away from stormie since shes came here for a full night because of how sick she was when we got her and because of her allergies !!! the link i have already posted but i keep hearing about the view finder and well I am having one of those blonde moments and idk what that is...probly do just never knew the name of it...can any one help with that and explain wat it is and does??? But the camera should be here by Monday the lady kept trying to get us to buy more and more stuff but we bought a camera and me more photo paper and they dont sell the ink i need so it looks like a trip to best buy this weekend
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Digital Camera ideas???