My house smells like cat pee!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! Ok, so once or twice i have caught Lilly peeing down my vents
Im not sure why, but she does!! So now with cold weather again, we turned the heat up..........and well, all you smell is cat pee!! How in the world can I get rid of that smell??

It is awful!

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem like that here, vents are on my ceiling..but you may want to call your heating company and ask if there is anything you could put into your vents to kill the smell..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsRNmom

No problem like that here, vents are on my ceiling..but you may want to call your heating company and ask if there is anything you could put into your vents to kill the smell..
Wow-that would be nice!!! But ours are on the floor........and for some unknown reason, she has decided that peeing down them is ok,

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I don't think this will be the cure, it may help. I saw some air fresheners at WalMart, right next to the furnace filters. They attach to the furnace filter so you get the "air freshener smell" blowing from your vents.

I wonder why she's doing that, though?

Maybe put some of those plastic air deflector things on the vents...that would make it a lot harder to aim right into the vent at least.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's nasty

It's bad enough when a cat pees in your shoes (Thank You Sonic, I still do not know how you managed to get it in both of them
) but in your vents?

I am sorry I have no suggestions at all but wanted to express my sympathy for your kitty's bad choice of toileting location

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah, my very first leukemia kitty was a boy and not neutered (we were told that leukemia cats cannot be put under anesthesia, not true!) so he would spray down my vents too
I poured baking soda down there and also put those renuzit pop up air fresheners in there- took forever for it too really come out though

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

yeah, my very first leukemia kitty was a boy and not neutered (we were told that leukemia cats cannot be put under anesthesia, not true!) so he would spray down my vents too
I poured baking soda down there and also put those renuzit pop up air fresheners in there- took forever for it too really come out though
I just took her to the vet a couple weeks ago, and they didnt find anything. I am going to have to try the baking soda though. I have been spraying everything i can think of down them!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While this won't help for what's there, it might for the future. Have you thought about installing the directional throws over the vents? They are like plastic rounds that you put over your vents to direct the air in whatever direction you want. That would at least keep her from having direct access to the vent. I don't think they are very expensive.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

While this won't help for what's there, it might for the future. Have you thought about installing the directional throws over the vents? They are like plastic rounds that you put over your vents to direct the air in whatever direction you want. That would at least keep her from having direct access to the vent. I don't think they are very expensive.
Yeah, I have never really thought about those. Guess I am going to have to invest in some!!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have your vents cleaned. they spray disinfectant down there. You could try using NokOut yourself.
Cover your vents with those angles plastic covers so she can't get at them, but the air still comes out.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use some white vinegar and water mix to put down the vents.Mix 3/4 vinegar and 1/4 water and then spray it down the vent.Make sure to saturate the whole thing.