Do your cats react strangely to some things?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not a question about a problem, just a funny story and I was wondering if anyone else's cats do this!

Yesterday Nate did his fire warden training, and came home with a hi-vis vest. When he took it out of the plastic wrapping, a piece of A4 paper detailing the washing instructions fell out of the pack - at least I think that's what was on it, because there's not much of it left!

Radar normally ignores paper, unless it's the newspaper you're trying to read, a paper bag to hide in, or a book which needs to be slept on when I want to read it. He's not interested in a plain old sheet of paper, and looks at me with disdain if I throw crumpled up paper for him to chase. But he pounced on this piece as if it were drenched in catnip. Rolled around all over it, grabbed it, chewed it, shredded it, and within seconds it was in small soggy pieces and he was still writhing around on it on his back

He also did similar (thankfully involving less devastation) with some second hand books I brought home from the Animal Aid bookshop, I was piling them up on the floor and he was knocking them all over and rolling around on top of them!

I suppose sometimes we bring things into our homes that just smell great to our cats!

Anyone have any similar stories to share?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe its a certain type of ink used?

My cats go nuts over packages. Tomas sniffs everything obsessively and Sho has to peel all the tape off.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bridge kitty Moey used to go NUTS over the smell of mentholatum rub, like you put on for sore muscles? That minty scent would make him just crazy, he would rub against whereever you had put the rub on, and try and lift up your shirt to get to your back if it was on there. And if you left the tube lying on the bed while you were applying the rub, OMG. He would be rubbing on it and purring, scooting it around as he nudged it....

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

My bridge kitty Moey used to go NUTS over the smell of mentholatum rub, like you put on for sore muscles? That minty scent would make him just crazy, he would rub against whereever you had put the rub on, and try and lift up your shirt to get to your back if it was on there. And if you left the tube lying on the bed while you were applying the rub, OMG. He would be rubbing on it and purring, scooting it around as he nudged it....
I had a cat that went nuts for minty scents like that too. I couldn't brush my teeth in peace!

Leopold and Pixel go wild for bleach. If I wipe the counter down with bleach-water, Leopold will come down to the kitchen from whereever he is to roll around on the floor in the kitchen...in this crazy way like he's high on catnip or something. It goes on for 5 minutes at least. Pixel does the same thing in the bathtub, if I have used Comet on it.

There are a couple of scents of incense that have the same effect on Leopold. I can't remember which ones...haven't used it lately.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My bridge kitty Moey used to go NUTS over the smell of mentholatum rub
Ohh! I forgot all about that stuff. Sho gets very weird so we don't use it. The last time I rubbed some on my husband's shoulders Sho would creep around the bed and slowly poke his head up over the side, we'd shoo him away. He'd move to the other side and slowly peep over. The look in his eyes was funny but also very disturbing
Then he kept stalking my husband for the rest of the night.

It's a bit like catnip x100

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's Aristotle. I've sometimes joked that if I want him to come get petted I'd have to apply BenGay. RB kitty York was worse as he would lick it off of Dad's body and then go into a kneading frenzy with Mom's nightgown.

I've also loved our cats' reactions to sneezes. One just stared with this "OMG, she exploded!" look.

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That makes sense, catnip is a kind of mint.

solar-kun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has a reaction for ice, whenever I take out an ice-cube he would like go mad and start meowing like he was mad or something...
Also when he sees a bird he !GOES BERSERK! and does a strange sound like a combination of chirping and meowing. It is so hilarious and wierd.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love these stories!

There are a few wierd things that Kitty does. I will tell you about the nail file.
I recorder this on my phone and sent it to my brother and sister and they said it was really gross but I thought it was funny!

One night after I got out of the bath, I sat on the floor to file my toe nails with an emery board. In marched Kitty and grabbed the end of the file in his mouth and started biting it! So I took it away from him and went back to doing my nails and he did it again. He was pulling then I`d push then he`d pull....

Also he was tickling my toes so I couldn`t help but laugh

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL these stories are so funny.

Every time my mom comes over, Zoey goes absolutely bonkers over her purse??
And she has a different purse every time. But every time Zoey starts rubbing all over it like its catnip, she goes completely bonkers and then eventually will just sit on it like she owns it
Maybe she likes the way my mom smells or something!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I love these stories!

There are a few wierd things that Kitty does. I will tell you about the nail file.
I recorder this on my phone and sent it to my brother and sister and they said it was really gross but I thought it was funny!

One night after I got out of the bath, I sat on the floor to file my toe nails with an emery board. In marched Kitty and grabbed the end of the file in his mouth and started biting it! So I took it away from him and went back to doing my nails and he did it again. He was pulling then I`d push then he`d pull....

Also he was tickling my toes so I couldn`t help but laugh
that sounds so familair
lets see stormies thing is nail files for some reason she knows when they are out and she hides them from me
but I go to file my nails (which I am always filing i think its ocd
) But she comes up and starts clawing at it to get it and eventually does when she gets my hand, and then there goes my nail file! Me and her fight over whos it is all the time, hmm maybe she wants her nails done ????
!!!!!But she goes nuts for nail files, I have a huge 7 sided one and well its missing she hid it under a queen sized bed that I can barely move out

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaws808

That makes sense, catnip is a kind of mint.
Ah, now the obsession with my peppermint tea makes total sense

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitties really do the strangest things.

Kolohe loves leather. If my leather purse is sitting on the chair or table he'll come over and rub his face all over it. Then he starts rubbing his body on it. If I leave a pair of leather shoes on the floor by the door he'll do the same thing and even try to stick his head inside the shoes.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brine/water stuff in jars of olives makes Scratch go crazy! If someone opens a jar of it, she'll run from whereever she was sitting and jump up on the counter. If the lid is off, she will start licking the lid and rolling all over the counter/floors.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lil' Jag goes crazy over both catnip and bleach. She'll roll and roll and roll and......

The others don't seem to have anything they absolutely go bonkers over.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Karma is afraid of things on the floor. It can be anything. If it is something in a spot that had nothing in it the last time she was there it freaks her out. So for example she was in the bathroom a few minutes ago and I go in to get the dirty towels and one falls on the floor. If she comes back in before I pick it up she acts like its a monster and gets into the scardy cat possition, tail poofed, back arch and runs away sideways. Now remember she knows what a towel is she just thinks thing mysteriously appear to mess with her head. The same thing happens with shirts, jackets, shoes you name it if it was not there the last time she looked in that spot it freaks her out.

waxlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You cannot open a glass beer bottle in my house without my girl, Mama Fetch, running over and looking up at you expectenly.

If you DONT throw it, she'll sit and look at you with hugely expectant eyes, mewing a protest if you wait too long.

Once you throw it, she goes in the general direction, and once she hears it drop, speed over there to grab it (you can also do the 'dog trick' with her - pretend to throw it, she runs, and then is confused when it doesn't hit the ground).

She'll bring the bottle cap to you, drop it in your hand if you have it out, otherwise she drops it on the floor in front of you, and repeats process (stare and meow until you throw it, fetch, return, repeat). She'll do this for as long as you can stand to throw it, and gets a little annoyed when you finally quit (keeps picking it up and dropping it, making noise as if "Hey, idiot, pick up the bottle cap!)

However, she just had kittens yesterday, so the bottlecap throwing is on hold. I'm afraid she'd either forget about the kittens, or fill their nest with bottlecaps

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by waxlight

You cannot open a glass beer bottle in my house without my girl, Mama Fetch, running over and looking up at you expectenly.

If you DONT throw it, she'll sit and look at you with hugely expectant eyes, mewing a protest if you wait too long.

Once you throw it, she goes in the general direction, and once she hears it drop, speed over there to grab it (you can also do the 'dog trick' with her - pretend to throw it, she runs, and then is confused when it doesn't hit the ground).

She'll bring the bottle cap to you, drop it in your hand if you have it out, otherwise she drops it on the floor in front of you, and repeats process (stare and meow until you throw it, fetch, return, repeat). She'll do this for as long as you can stand to throw it, and gets a little annoyed when you finally quit (keeps picking it up and dropping it, making noise as if "Hey, idiot, pick up the bottle cap!)

However, she just had kittens yesterday, so the bottlecap throwing is on hold. I'm afraid she'd either forget about the kittens, or fill their nest with bottlecaps
Congratulations to Mama Fetch!

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

Karma is afraid of things on the floor. It can be anything. If it is something in a spot that had nothing in it the last time she was there it freaks her out. So for example she was in the bathroom a few minutes ago and I go in to get the dirty towels and one falls on the floor. If she comes back in before I pick it up she acts like its a monster and gets into the scardy cat possition, tail poofed, back arch and runs away sideways. Now remember she knows what a towel is she just thinks thing mysteriously appear to mess with her head. The same thing happens with shirts, jackets, shoes you name it if it was not there the last time she looked in that spot it freaks her out.
LOL. I read that and thought it was so funny!!! My cat freaks out easily if you move. If I am standing still doing something with him next to me, then suddenly turn to do something else, he will jump or run across the room and turn and stare at me all crazy-eyed.

Another weird thing is my cat likes to lick my husband's arm pits for some reason! He will come cuddle with us in bed, then snuggle close up to him all purring, then he buries his nose into his arm pits and starts licking! Weird, I know, but it's true!
Cats sure do bring me a lot of laughs!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I was having lunch today Blossom went mad tearing up the junk mail into bits. She also likes to lick us - arms, hands, fingers, feet, toes, faces. It can hurt in certain places. She gets carried away if we don't stop her.