Beauty and her butt

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully some of you brilliant people can help lead me in the right direction.

I have to clean Beauty's butt (Beauty is B's cat) because she doesn't clean herself there anymore (she was quite heavy for a while so for many years at least she couldn't reach).

Anyways last night I was cleaning it because B noticed her fur was matted. As I was cleaning up the mattes, I noticed her anus not only had "leftovers" but also some white stuff.

The best analogy I can think of it its almost like the white fat on beef...jelly-like, but not quite.

I'm hoping its not a cyst that burst...but who knows. I am making an appointment for B and I to take her in.

Any thoughts though? It wasn't a lot, but enough to be noticeable and coming out of her butt.

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anal gland cysts ruptureing are very very painful for the cat.
Relate to our hemoroids for pain levels.
if she displayed signs of agitation or pain, i would take her to a vet soon.
She would definately let you know if there was pain back there when you were cleaning.

The stuff that comes out of your typical anal gland is pasty brown/black and noxious as all get out. it is very pungent. there is relatively low volume of stuff too. less than a teaspoon.
Cats usually do not have anal gland issues, but if your kitty is pudgy (like my sleeves) she may develop problems from lack of ability to clean herself there.

Although i do not know for sure what that white stuff is, i would wager it is some type of fungus (think of yeast infections) growing from the furr matted with fecess and urine.

either way, a vet would be great, they do have topical oinments that will help her pain and keep the fungus away. sorry i cannot think of the name now.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

As I was cleaning up the mattes, I noticed her anus not only had "leftovers" but also some white stuff.

The best analogy I can think of it its almost like the white fat on beef...jelly-like, but not quite.
Maybe mucus. Does she have IBS or anything like that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Maybe mucus. Does she have IBS or anything like that?
Not sure. B hasn't taken her to the vet in 7 years. Since she and her sister, Patches are now 12/13, I'm gently pushing him to get once a year check ups again. I don't want to see him be unprepared to lose a cat if something happens (cancer, IBS, UTI, etc) that goes unknown until its too late.

I lost my guinea pig that way and it sucked. I had her for 5 years, took her daughter in, but never her. Then one day her stomach began filling with air and we couldn't stop it. So with all the rush in 24 hours I wound up losing her.

Also, no...other than me stepping on her tail on occassion she doesn't show any signs of pain.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not sure. B hasn't taken her to the vet in 7 years. Since she and her sister, Patches are now 12/13, I'm gently pushing him to get once a year check ups again. I don't want to see him be unprepared to lose a cat if something happens (cancer, IBS, UTI, etc) that goes unknown until its too late.
That's a long time! He's been lucky. At that age it's a good idea, catch problems early and it saves grief all around.

I lost my guinea pig that way and it sucked. I had her for 5 years, took her daughter in, but never her. Then one day her stomach began filling with air and we couldn't stop it. So with all the rush in 24 hours I wound up losing her.
Type of colic? Did someone feed a bad veggie like lettuce?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the white stuff look kind of like grains of rice? I'm wondering if she could have worms?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, no grains of rice, I thought that too at first but it was too mushy.

OK I know I'm getting graphic now.

Much better.

Oh and no lettuce for guinea pigs. I forget what the condition was called but it was a bacteria that would blow her stomach up like a ballow. She wouldn't eat or anything.

So the appointment is this Saturday (first available one) and hopefully it is minor.