Teeth need cleaned, what is necessary?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a good look inside Fang's mouth, the sun helped, and his back teeth look really bad/. First the gums are real red right under the tooth, and you can see the tarter along the gumline. His breath is bad. I feel so bad that I have had him almost a year, and his mouth was in this condition. When I got him, I took him to the vet (whom I decided I would not use for anything major because I feel he failed me and my senior cat before I got Fang), and he looked in his mouth but didn't say I should get his teeth cleaned. He came from no kill shelter, so teeth cleaning is probably not even considered, when you think of everything else that needs done after rescue off the street.
Anyway, we have an appointment saturday with what I hope is a better vets office. Fang is also a crystal cat, so I am hoping his crystals, and PH might be related to the teeth. Someone posted something like that earlier.
What are the risks? Should we be doing bloodwork? What other things are necessary? I remember years ago at another vet, I felt I was ripped off because he did blood work and an EKG and other stuff I didn't think was necessary. the bill was around 300 bucks and that was ten years ago. I don't want to spend more thatn I have to.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With anestisia there IS ALWAYS a risk... How big depends on sge , overall condition and sensitivity to anestisia... I would get basic blood work if Fang is young 2-4 ish ... get the full panel if he is older ...

Getting bloodwork on my dog was a lifesaver since she needed a different type of anestesia

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

What are the risks? Should we be doing bloodwork? What other things are necessary? I remember years ago at another vet, I felt I was ripped off because he did blood work and an EKG and other stuff I didn't think was necessary. the bill was around 300 bucks and that was ten years ago. I don't want to spend more thatn I have to.
i just had raven and nabu in for dentals in november & december. i had everything done (full bloodpanel, EKG, etc). they will be 10 in may. when stimpy had surgery to remove a suspicious mole last year, i also had everything done. he was just under 6 yrs at the time. the surgeries were just under $300 each.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure they will always do a blood panel before putting a cat under to make sure there is nothing that will cause more risks.

Zoey has the crystals/UTI problems and she's only a few years old so I dont believe it has anything to do with the condition of her teeth (they are in great condition).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

I'm pretty sure they will always do a blood panel before putting a cat under to make sure there is nothing that will cause more risks.

Zoey has the crystals/UTI problems and she's only a few years old so I dont believe it has anything to do with the condition of her teeth (they are in great condition).
Blood work is optional at least where I am ...

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure with older cats they would tell the client that it is necessary.
In any case, I would request it just to be on the safe side, but that's just me.