Training to Use Cat Door

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DH is installing a cat door that leads from our den into the "outside world" of our enclosed sunroom for the kitties. We currently leave our sliding glass door open wide enough for them to get through, but that lets in too much cold in the winter and heat in the summer. They LOVE to be "outside", basking in the sun and watching their world through the windows.

How do I go about training an 11yo and 2yo cat to use the cat door?

Stephanie

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At first leave the flap on the door up and place some kitty treats on the other side something they really like to eat.Get them used to using that opening for a couple of days that way. Next leave the flap down and leave the food on the other side to entice them to go out through the cat flap.
While you are doing this you be on the side with the food and try to encourage them to come through the cat door.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

At first leave the flap on the door up and place some kitty treats on the other side something they really like to eat.Get them used to using that opening for a couple of days that way. Next leave the flap down and leave the food on the other side to entice them to go out through the cat flap.
While you are doing this you be on the side with the food and try to encourage them to come through the cat door.
thats brill advice........I´ve got a newbie that hasnt even spotted the cat-flap yet

Hope all goes well, let us know how you go ...oooo and take some photos of your kits enjoying the sunshine

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Alley was about 6 we moved to a house where she had a door like that. I just put her through it a few times. For a couple days she would stand at the door and meow at me, but I'd just put her through and she figured it out very quick.