Can cats make love?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats do not make love, they do not woo each other, send flowers, or go out to dinner and then make passionate love. They mate, pure and simple, Driven by their natural instinct, their primal urges.

Do they appreciate each other? Are they fond of one another? Yes on all accounts. Certain cats will bond in a lifetime. They will mutually groom each other, sleep together, play together. When one dies, the other one grieves just as deeply if not more than the pet owner who lost her/his pet.

People tend to humanize cats. Perhaps it is because they are so closely in contact with our lives. Unlike say, horses that stay outside in large stalls or pastures, cats and dogs often are anthromorphized and this does them a big disservice because it leads people to want their cats and dogs to conform to their world, instead of the owner accepting the true nature of these noble animals.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Cats do not make love, they do not woo each other, send flowers, or go out to dinner and then make passionate love. They mate, pure and simple, Driven by their natural instinct, their primal urges.

What she said.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very loving! They mount anything that isn't nailed to the ground

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wait wait wait you guys...
the other day I saw stewie my 7 month old kitten purring rubbing his face againt our throw blanket, then bite some of it and keep it in his mouth, kneed away with his front paws and hump the blanket/air like he was on a hot date with some pretty siamese girl.

Now I havent seen dan give me that much attention lovey wise in I dont know how long

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Pepe Lepew? (sp?) he tries making love to that poor kitty

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

How about Pepe Lepew? (sp?) he tries making love to that poor kitty
Well Pepe is a skunk from France and that's a whole different scenario with inter-species, foreign country and different cultures.......that throws a monkey wrench into the works right there.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Well Pepe is a skunk from France and that's a whole different scenario with inter-species, foreign country and different cultures.......that throws a monkey wrench into the works right there.
Nice analysis
but who knows

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

Do cats have feelings like us human beings?

Do you think cats can make love with each other?

Share your opinions
I don't like this question because it is highly anthropocentric. "Making love" is a human concept, and really can't and shouldn't be applied to other animals.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From what I've seen, cats mating seems to usually be a bit of a bdsm relationship. There's lots of holding down and making the female kitty submit (although really she wants to, cos she wants to mate), there's lots of the male kitty biting the scruff to give her a bit of pain and say "you're mine and you aint going nowhere", there's lots of posturing by the male kitty as if to say "look, we're mating and thats it, it's not a choice here", and in the end, they both get what they want and neither have been harmed in any way

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From what I've read of the mating process, I'm inclined to think not. However, cats are pretty loving and affectionate in a non-sexual way if that counts for the love part.

But here is something I witnessed this summer. We were on safari and came across a male and female lion pair lounging in the sun. The safari bus stopped for photos, etc. Before we knew it the male mounted the female and did his 'thing'. I have a photo, however I won't share for the sake of the lion's decency
. However, afterwards the female started rolling around on the ground as if she we're happier than catnip, so to speak. Whether or not she felt physically happy about the act, there was no doubt that she felt totally comfey about rolling in the sunshine and embracing the procroation act that she'd just experienced! Maybe she was just happy that she'd been chosen. I like to think she just had an excellent picnic afternoon outing with her 'man'!

[/IMG]

I posted this on Fur pictures recently but didn't remark on the context.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

From what I've read of the mating process, I'm inclined to think not. However, cats are pretty loving and affectionate in a non-sexual way if that counts for the love part.

But here is something I witnessed this summer. We were on safari and came across a male and female lion pair lounging in the sun. The safari bus stopped for photos, etc. Before we knew it the male mounted the female and did his 'thing'. I have a photo, however I won't share for the sake of the lion's decency
. However, afterwards the female started rolling around on the ground as if she we're happier than catnip, so to speak. Whether or not she felt physically happy about the act, there was no doubt that she felt totally comfey about rolling in the sunshine and embracing the procroation act that she'd just experienced! Maybe she was just happy that she'd been chosen. I like to think she just had an excellent picnic afternoon outing with her 'man'!

[/IMG]

I posted this on Fur pictures recently but didn't remark on the context.
awww..that's adorable

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the point is that cats completely differentiate between 'love' and 'sex', though of course they don't even think of it like that. I believe they can love, anyone who has brought up a kitten knows the look of love in the eyes. And certainly cats can bond so strongly with each other that 'love' is the only word we can give it. Equally some cats, as we all know, just hate each other on sight and never change with that. But sex is pure instinct, and whether they mate with cats they may be bonded with (even of course parents or siblings), those they dislike, or complete strangers, is just the luck of the draw on where they happen to be when the opportunity and urge to mate comes upon them.