A good brush

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone knows where you can get a good bristel brush for a medium/long haired cat. My cat gets really bad matted hair and i read up on how to properly take care of it, but i'm just wondering if anyone knows somewhere that i can get a brush that will work well and last a long time. =) Let me know. Also, does anyone give their cats a bath?
I know I could give my old cat baths and he loved it, but i'm just wondering if anyone does bathe their cats, what conditioner and shampoos they might use.

Thanks =D

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a medium haired cat and she LOVES to be brushed with a Zoom Groom brush. It gets rid of all the underhairs and makes her fur so soft!

Stephanie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
a fine toothed COMB//// It is the best thing ever made

johnny_vegas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Though I haven't received it yet, I ordered a Zoom Groom yesterday because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews it has gotten. I'm really looking forward to using it!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend a metal comb for med/longhaired cats. I have not used the zoom groom but I was told that it tangles longhaired cats. If this is true I do not know.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i got so many brushes and combs for cats and well the only thing that stormie lets me brush her with is MY COMB
but for some reason its worked the best

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mandm1213

Also, does anyone give their cats a bath?
I know I could give my old cat baths and he loved it, but i'm just wondering if anyone does bathe their cats, what conditioner and shampoos they might use.

Thanks =D
We give Evie baths. She had fleas when we adopted her, so had to start as soon as she was old enough (so her stitches from being fixed were healed), and try to keep it up. Since she's still a kitten, we use kitten shampoo- Top Paw mild cat and kitten shampoo. I'm not raving, but for a shampooo, it works well and Miss Evens has had no problems with it. Now, with the bath itself, though, she has problems!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

We give Evie baths. She had fleas when we adopted her, so had to start as soon as she was old enough (so her stitches from being fixed were healed), and try to keep it up. Since she's still a kitten, we use kitten shampoo- Top Paw mild cat and kitten shampoo. I'm not raving, but for a shampooo, it works well and Miss Evens has had no problems with it. Now, with the bath itself, though, she has problems!
thanks for the info.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO brushes really don't do much on longhair cats - its much better to be using various width combs. You can get the ones that have the long teeth, but combs were better.

As far as washing - Ling gets washed a few times a year. My rexes got washed before each show (so it could be once or twice a month). When not showing, every few months. Charlie will get a bath before each show.

I used top quality human shampoo on my rexes - Nexxus products. For Charlie I'm using a very good pet shampoo from Jeffers.com that is for white/light color cats (Snowy something). Its great - must have some kind of conditioner in it cause I don't have to use extra conditioner

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, for a medium- or long-haired cat, you won't be able to groom properly or prevent mats with a brush. Seconding the recommendation for a metal comb. I find that the Furminator works great, but it doesn't have to be that. I use the comb to get all the fine hair off, and then a brush to collect all the hair afterward.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also a big fan of the FURminator, but we also have a zoom groom that Bumps likes so much he sleeps curled up with it and one of those long toothed metal combs for any matted fur.

They also get occasional baths with an oatmeal conditioning shampoo and a rinse that smells like Pina Colada, both of which I am out of so don't have the names, but got from our groomer.
We have also used the Earthbath shampoos and they are great, but the groomer's stuff is just as good and cheaper as I can buy it locally and not pay shipping

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually Scamper - I always used Nexxus Simply Silver on ALL my white rexes - it really makes them white. Then they got Nexxus Conditioner (Humetress).

Warning - the shampoo is dark purple, just so you don't think you'll end up with a lavendar cat .....it shocked me first time (Ricky didn't tell me!)

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Actually Scamper - I always used Nexxus Simply Silver on ALL my white rexes - it really makes them white. Then they got Nexxus Conditioner (Humetress).

Warning - the shampoo is dark purple, just so you don't think you'll end up with a lavendar cat .....it shocked me first time (Ricky didn't tell me!)
I will look into that thanks. Although I do use an Organic shampoo for horses on my white mare. I may check see if thats ok for Kitties too. It makes her SHINE..wonderfully and nice and BRIGHT white , lol and its dark purple too

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The zoom groom doesn't work well on my long haired Persians. I use a comb and the FURminator. Occassionally I use a brush to fluff them up. I also bathe my cats. Jake the most because he gets really greasy on his chest, belly and hind legs. BAthing with a conditioning shampoo or using a cat shampoo and conditioner keeps the coat light and silky and easier to keep mats out.