NEUTERED CATS ALL THE SUDDEN WANTS TO HUMP! helppppp

cynni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, quick history

Cyni - Female ( siamese mix, got at 6 months, told she was spayed, found out the following month she wasnt when she went into heat, was spayed immediatly after heat cycle )

Gizmo - Male - ( blue point siamese, got at 9 weeks old, June 10th 2006, and was neutered on July 27th, pediatric neuter,,, recovered immediatly, like nothing ever happened.)

It has now been 7 months since his neuter and these last 2 weeks , he has been trying to Mount Cyni... she has no interest, and either walks away, or sits there. He is very aggressive about it, biting her, holding her down, and we break it up as soon as we see it , Lord only knows what happens when we sleep.

Did his neuter not take? are we missing something? why now after 7 months is he showing this behavior?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That behavior isn't all that uncommon. IMO, it's just dominance behavior, showing her who the boss is.

When in doubt, talk to the vet...but I think it's a behavioral/dominance issue.

One more thing, are there any cats hanging around outside your house? That can sometimes bring out some odd and/or aggressive behaviors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cynni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

That behavior isn't all that uncommon. IMO, it's just dominance behavior, showing her who the boss is.

When in doubt, talk to the vet...but I think it's a behavioral/dominance issue.

One more thing, are there any cats hanging around outside your house? That can sometimes bring out some odd and/or aggressive behaviors.
No, we live out in the middle of no where... Hmmm dominance, that sounds like a good point... but isnt it weird to show dominance they try to hump... you would think they would just fight... Gizmo is 1 year younger then her, and she was here almost a year before I got him... they have gotten along since June like brother and sister, I wonder why now he feels he needs to dominate her? odd

I love them both anyways... even if he is a lil sexual predator LOL

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

Cats don't even know they are gone.
Really? How could they not? Ive heard of dogs getting depressed after neutering.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cynni

No, we live out in the middle of no where... Hmmm dominance, that sounds like a good point... but isnt it weird to show dominance they try to hump... you would think they would just fight... Gizmo is 1 year younger then her, and she was here almost a year before I got him... they have gotten along since June like brother and sister, I wonder why now he feels he needs to dominate her? odd

I love them both anyways... even if he is a lil sexual predator LOL
Yeah, the mounting thing specifically is a expression of dominance, outside of the obvious functional side of it (with intact cats). BUT ...any really unusual behavior that comes out of nowhere can also be a red flag for a health problem...so do keep an eye on things and maybe contact the vet if things persist or get any worse.

Neuters are pretty straightforward. I've never heard of one being unsuccessful. Spays, on the other hand can be unsuccessful, but it's rare. But if your girl isn't showing any weird behavior I wouldn't let that thought even cross my mind.

Does he ever mount blankets or chairs or anything?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Dylan was neutered at just eight weeks, the day before we adopted him, and he has some of the same behaviors with his companion, Sassy... though it's easing off a bit now that he's five years old.

Oddly enough, dominance is often expressed in sexual terms among animals... and not always between males and females, either. In Carl Sagan's book on evolution, "The Dragons of Eden," he tells about a community of wild chimpanzees (or maybe another primate -- I'm working from memory) in which some of the non-dominant males were observed to express their subservience by turning their backs to the alpha male and bending over. And the alpha male would sometimes actually simulate copulation with them! They weren't homosexual... they were just establishing and reiterating their positions in the tribal heirarchy.

In the human world, when I see a sycophantic coworker playing up to the boss, I always think of those chimps...

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaws808

Really? How could they not? Ive heard of dogs getting depressed after neutering.
The change in hormones can set off a kind of doggy PMS while they adjust, yeah. But this is so long after the neutering that the hormones have settled long ago. I think it's a dominance thing.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband's cat, Oberon, mounted my cat, Wilde, for more than ten years. She'd just crouch there and wait it out.
He didn't do much, either. We figured he must have been neutered late. (We didn't know for sure, he was a neutered stray when we got him.)

He wasn't very agressive, though, and they were lovey-dovey all the time anyway, so we'd just snicker and let it go. I think your kitties will work it out between themselves eventually.