or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Surfing at Work
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Surfing at Work

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
So, I know theres a few of you that are on TCS when you are at work.

Do your bosses know and turn a blind eye ? or is it just an accepted thing.

Reason being my friend in the UK has just sent me a email from his home - strange I thought he should be working, so I got on MSN messenger and he was still on-line so I had a natter with him.
Seems he´s been sent home for 'mis-use of internet? OMG I said what have you been looking at and he would tell me straight up if he'd been looking at stuff - but nothing - he had been warned before and yesterdsay he had his son in the office with him (late) and his son was doing some surfing, nothing weird.
Anyways he's been suspended - is that just crazy or what
post #2 of 36
I do not have a pc that is online at work now. But when I worked for the college in frankfort (I was a secretary) I use to do several things online and my boss didn't mind as long as I had my daily work done.
post #3 of 36
We are supposed to here at work but when my work is done she doesn't really care. All the girls in the office do it. We just don't work the full 8 hours. Out work is kind of sporadic. This time of year my work is dead for me but the other girls stay busier all year, come summer time I get slammed. It all kinda balances out.
post #4 of 36
So because his son was using it after office hours he's been sent home, have i read that right?.

My boss has always said he doesn't mind anyone using the internet as long as the work gets done.
post #5 of 36
Long as work is done we are good. Its even in the Company handbook that occasional non-work related use of the internet is acceptable, as long as its within the IT guidelines of no porn, etc.

Plus, the bosses would have to get off e-bay to come see what anyone else was doing, and that ain't happening anytime soon.
post #6 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
So because his son was using it after office hours he's been sent home, have i read that right?.
yep........he has been warned before about internet usage, so this was the last straw I suppose ? ?
post #7 of 36
I think that as time goes on,More and more they will be cutting down on surfing the net(i am one to talk, since i am using the compnay internet for this again). surfing=bandwidth=money. TO save money they are cutting the bandwidth you use for surfing, and limiting it to business stuff only. how just you surfing is ok, you + jim+mary+ john etc, adds up and slows down business traffic.

Also, some network admins have been getting in trouble, for stuff users did on the network. SO, its there network, and they have to take the hit for anything being done on it.

the free and cool days of a wide open internet are just about over.
heck i can remember when phones call all over the world was free, and so ,, err, never mind that part, i was young then.

sorry for your friend, but we fire people all the time for miss use or to much use of the net
post #8 of 36
We are technically only supposed to use the internet during our lunch break, but my supervisor has told me that she knows we all use it during work time and doesn't mind as long as we get our work done. I've gotten awards for getting the most work done, and I'm on the internet several hours per day, so I don't see it as a problem.
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
I think that as time goes on,More and more they will be cutting down on surfing the net(i am one to talk, since i am using the compnay internet for this again). surfing=bandwidth=money. TO save money they are cutting the bandwidth you use for surfing, and limiting it to business stuff only. how just you surfing is ok, you + jim+mary+ john etc, adds up and slows down business traffic.

Also, some network admins have been getting in trouble, for stuff users did on the network. SO, its there network, and they have to take the hit for anything being done on it.

the free and cool days of a wide open internet are just about over.
heck i can remember when phones call all over the world was free, and so ,, err, never mind that part, i was young then.

sorry for your friend, but we fire people all the time for miss use or to much use of the net


I agree with Bruce. You will probably see a big shift in what you can and can't do at work.

In addition, there are several reports of people being fired because of their use of the internet here in the states. This includes those that decided to voice their opinion about work, through the work's internet. That's just plain silly. Go home and then do that

Anyways, we haven't fired anyone yet here, but when I started here there were several people without internet. Mainly because a couple would just surf porn all day, others would use gambling sites most of the day and one was even trying to start up his own business while at work.
post #10 of 36
I do come here during work hours -- at lunch time as well as periodic sanity breaks. I mostly don't do anything else of a personal nature. The Internet use guidelines are at once pretty loose and pretty clear, i.e. there isn't a list of thou shalt nots, but the critical points (I don't have the wording here -- still at home) are that the work gets done, and that any use not be perceived as being contrary to the ethos of the school.

I expect that if a person were perceived to be surfing too much, they would be given a chance to shape up, but I make a point of not following links in the office, unless I know where it's going and that the site is reputable. Better safe than sorry.
post #11 of 36
Heck no, my boss is my brother and he doesn't mind as long as I get my work done.

Heck, I even read some threads to him (the Al Gore one) and he tells me things to post sometimes. He is more a conservative than I am.

The last place I worked some of the guys got in BIG trouble for looking at Porn sites. How disgusting is that? Talk about humiliating.
post #12 of 36
I rarely use the t'interweb at work except for important stuff like checking football scores :
In my opinion is that surfing is addictive and if you start doing it at work you'll quickly find that it is harder and harder to concentrate on the work you are meant to be doing
The OP's friend has my wholehearted sympathy however
post #13 of 36
"Private" surfing is an accepted (i.e., legal) reason for dismissal in Germany. The issue has made its way through the courts, and the superior courts have upheld it.
I teach, so obviously can't do any private surfing while giving lessons, but before or after class, or during lunch breaks, all students and staff are free to use the Internet for personal stuff.
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
I teach, so obviously can't do any private surfing while giving lessons, but before or after class, or during lunch breaks, all students and staff are free to use the Internet for personal stuff.
i'm only here actively when i have no students in my room, or after hours. i stay logged in, & there's a window open [minimized] but i'm not doing anything. hasn't been a problem as yet.
post #15 of 36
I surf the net all the time at work. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now! If I didn't I wouldn't have anything to do! I would have to resort to *gasp* school work!
We just aren't allowed to play games or look at porn and crap like that. Not that I want to look at porn. Eww.
post #16 of 36
At my old job- I would be on TCS and my boss didnt' say anything. I was only on here if I was caught up, or waiting for a customer to come in. I would be logged in all day and have the screen minimized- but wouldn't always be activly posting. It was a nice break from the day tho!
post #17 of 36
Our company blocks any website with a forum/bulletin board. Supposedly they do monitor usage, but we have over 9000 offices so I'm not sure how closely. Our company email is closely monitored...everything going in or out reviewed by compliance. Highly regulated industry...

I usually read the local newspaper online and view the CNN videos during the day. I view it as my responsibility to be well informed.
post #18 of 36
I'm on TCS at work when we are slow. The nice part of my job is that anytime a work item comes across my desk, all personal things get tossed under it. It can be bad though. Sometimes I'm in the middle of a good post, and then something will come through.

My company is good though, they don't block a whole bunch of stuff.
post #19 of 36
My boss knows. If it is quiet I am pretty much free to do what I want, but I am also expected to stay late / come in early when it is busy. For me that works fine, for others it is a problem.

They did fire one person who was always on MSN chatting to her friends or surfing the web, but more for the attitude she gave them when they spoke to her about it (she was 'too busy' to actually do her work)
post #20 of 36
I think while we are at work, we should do the job we are being paid to do. I don't think it's right to goof off.

I've been on the internet since 1983, and have surfed during my lunch breaks. But the rest of the time, I've been working, or available to help someone else I work with... and I've been rewarded. I received one or two (title and pay) promotions every year; one year I received three promotions.

If I didn't feel passionate enough about my job to work for my pay, I'd get another job. But, I'm not going to sit on my butt surfing while someone's paying me to work.
post #21 of 36
I think it depends alot on the type of work. It would actually cost my boss more (with the 3hr pay minimum) for me to come in only when it is busy as I would come in for an hour in the morning and then again for a few hours in the afternoon and a few hours in the evening.

However, as I said, it works both ways as I occasionally have to give up my weekends and evenings for them - not all jobs are structured enough to be so 'cut and dry'... and I rather my employees are online (as long as it isn't something against our net guidelines) than getting bored and being unhappy = unproductive
post #22 of 36
IMO, you're at work and getting paid to do a job...and I'm pretty sure that doesn't include web surfing. I participated in the co-op program when I was in college (alternating quarters of school and work) and a student in my class got into big trouble on multiple occasions for surfing the web and even had to have his web using privileges turned off because apparently being told a few times not to didn't do the trick. I think that's just pathetic.

If you want to surf the web, I say do it at home. I've worked in multiple offices and I never surfed the web - the only time I was on the web reading what I was interested in was on my lunch break.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211 View Post
IMO, you're at work and getting paid to do a job...and I'm pretty sure that doesn't include web surfing. I participated in the co-op program when I was in college (alternating quarters of school and work) and a student in my class got into big trouble on multiple occasions for surfing the web and even had to have his web using privileges turned off because apparently being told a few times not to didn't do the trick. I think that's just pathetic.

If you want to surf the web, I say do it at home. I've worked in multiple offices and I never surfed the web - the only time I was on the web reading what I was interested in was on my lunch break.
What if there was down time in the job and there was no work for the employees to do? Would you prefer them to stare at the walls? Just wondering what the alternative would be.
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
What if there was down time in the job and there was no work for the employees to do? Would you prefer them to stare at the walls? Just wondering what the alternative would be.
What did people do in the dark ages (joke, it wasn't that long ago) when there was no internet to surf?
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
What did people do in the dark ages (joke, it wasn't that long ago) when there was no internet to surf?
I didn't mean what would you do with your time in general, I mean what would you prefer your employees to do when there is no work available. In my mind the alternatives are staring at the wall, reading a book, or talking to other employees (who may have work to do). I'm trying to find other options for myself in addition to being curious about it.
post #26 of 36
I disagree. I mean sometimes my work comes pouring in nonstop. Othertimes its barely a trickle. I may get 1 or 2 customers but I have to be here. 7:30 to 4 no matter what.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
I didn't mean what would you do with your time in general, I mean what would you prefer your employees to do when there is no work available. In my mind the alternatives are staring at the wall, reading a book, or talking to other employees (who may have work to do). I'm trying to find other options for myself in addition to being curious about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom View Post
I disagree. I mean sometimes my work comes pouring in nonstop. Othertimes its barely a trickle. I may get 1 or 2 customers but I have to be here. 7:30 to 4 no matter what.
This is the exact reason that we are allowed to surf the web. At one point we were not allowed to and we had a much higher turnover of staff, doing 'nothing' in downtime hurts employees and employers also... surfing the web quietly doesn't disrupt others in the office. However, if it is hurting the productiveness of the office or people are doing it instead of working, it is another story.

It really depends on your job. personally I would love to have enough work to keep me busy, sometimes I get bored just surfing the web! But they are only so many times you can rearrange the files or whatever.
post #28 of 36
If you're allowed to, that's a different story. I still think it's inappropriate but if the boss sees that there is downtime and doesn't mind it on his/her time, then fine.

My issue is when people do it and are unproductive all day...and in my example, when it's not allowed.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
I didn't mean what would you do with your time in general, I mean what would you prefer your employees to do when there is no work available. In my mind the alternatives are staring at the wall, reading a book, or talking to other employees (who may have work to do). I'm trying to find other options for myself in addition to being curious about it.
To me, when I am at work, I am there to work. I feel guilty writing the occasional (say once a month?) personal email to a friend, never mind looking up non work-related things on the Internet. But I'm super fussy that way and feel I owe the company for hiring me, so there you go! That darn inferiority complex...

I'm going through a bad time right now where my work has really dried up and things are slow. I mean S-L-O-W. So I ask for work from different departments if I know they're busy. I've taken on a few extra responsibilites (very boring ones, mind you) that other people are too busy to handle. I beg my boss for work. He has a sense of humour about the whole thing and sometimes tells me I just need to stare at the wall for awhile.... I've cleaned out closets and have offered to reorganize the office.

Obviously this is one reason why it's time for me to look for another job. The boredom is starting to get to me. These are not additional jobs I enjoy doing (data entry is not on my list of top 10 things to do) but it's better than not doing anything IMO.
post #30 of 36
We have different rules here - we're an inbound call centre, so we have to be 100% focused on work, 100% of the time. We have major firewalls in the office and we all have to sign a contract agreeing not to use email or internet whilst at work.

HOWEVER, we do have a wonderful staff room with comfy sofa's, cable TV/DVD's radio/CD's, kitchen and unrestricted internet access for during break and lunch times, so nobody realy minds too much about not being able to surf during work hours!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Surfing at Work