Am I crazy or is this really irritating?

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You mean the kitty meowing? I don't see anything irritating about it, my Molly does the same thing. Screams and cries because she just can't WAIT for me to bring her her raw meat. It's not disrespectful or irritating, I find it sweet because she's showing so much excitement at the prospect of getting to eat. Sure makes it worth how much I'm paying for this raw meat, lol (j/k my little dearies, I'll keep buying it for you even if you don't scream for it, lol)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't like my kitty Tomas then.

He loves to meow and burr at everything, to me, for food, for play, using the litter box..., in his sleep, and of course the ceiling fan. I encourage him to meow by meowing back to him.

My favorite is when he meow/burs while eating his wet food
it sounds like "mmmm burrr mmmm burrr mmmmm"

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I"m not sure how it's "bad" behaviour...? He's just meowing cos he's excited/impatient for his food. Wonton doesn't meow like that but he runs around and I have to be careful I don't trip over him cos he's so excited to be fed that he walks RIGHT in front of me as I'm walking to his dish. I dunno, cats aren't like dogs, so I find the whole concept of "bad cat!" a bit odd. I mean there's behaviour like biting or scratching, which of course isn't acceptable, but even that - if Wonton bites or scratches I say no, and pick him up and put him out of the room and shut the door (he has the run of the rest of the house, and food/water/his box). Usually in ten minutes he's meowing to come in, so I let him back in. That's the only discipline I use on my cat, if you can even call it that. I don't believe in squirt guns or cans of coins, and I don't really look at things like meowing a lot as "bad behaviour"..it's just the cat being a cat
If I had issues with something like that, I'd have to question why I had a cat in the first place, as the cat is just fulfilling his cat-ness and being himself.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm...im not sure how thats bad behavior...Stormie does that and well Blue gets tooo excited when its feeding time
they just get to excited for thier food and I dont think thats bad behavior thats just a cat being a cat, and to be honest i do find it cute
because they meow and they run and then they do become all loveable too
Bella just runs same with the other ones, but Blue and Stormie are the talkers for everything and like i said and others have said its cats being cats they just get sooo excited and they want their food, ull never meet a cat like blue that HAS to have every piece of food she sees
and well I hold conversations with them while getting their food ready

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola does that when you're going to feed her. It's kind of funny. I don't find it bad behaviour, but Addie is like that a LOT, not just at feeding time. She cries and cries constantly (I mean only stops for breath) for minutes at a time, then takes a break, then comes back. Ususally it's to be let in or out of somewhere, but when we open the door, she's only happy for a minute than starts again......I think she really just wants us to get out of bed and play with her but there's no way I'm getting up 2 hours early for that when I have to go to work later. Still, we usually just tell her to be quiet and try to find something to distract her.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im confused too at why this is not very good behavior

And if someone thinks its not good behavior just exactly what do you think you can do to stop a cat from meowing?

You would think my kitties were extremely bad because all of them except Easy are meowers.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Im confused too at why this is not very good behavior

And if someone thinks its not good behavior just exactly what do you think you can do to stop a cat from meowing?

You would think my kitties were extremely bad because all of them except Easy are meowers.
Puff also meows at me when I am getting his food. What is naughty is when he tries to trip me on the way to the food bowl!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bean is a cry baby too. He meows when he wants attention, food, to play..anything really. It's not bad behavior, it's just thier way of saying "meowmy I need you".

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trouble sings and talks to me almost constantly.
Cassi chirps and trills and squeeks for attention.
If he feels ignored, Vash will sit right behind me and catterwahl.
Shadow has a whiney voice and many opinions.
Spaz meows, screams and makes horrid, excited choking sounds for raw meat.
Ivory runs around barking, yes, barking, for no reason in particular, then reverts to pathetimews for attention.

I love my noisey bunch.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear this when it's treat time occasionally or when the food bowl is empty- sometimes they hunt me down and do the "follow me!" dance to the food bowl!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not that the cat is meowing for food. I honestly have never been bothered by a cat meowing. But this cat is extremely loud, and the sound of it just startled me. It was really unpleasant to listen to, and I don't think I could live with that every day. There's a difference between a normal meow and a meow that sounds like "you starve me, I never get anything to eat, save me!"

I don't know. I was bothered by it because it was so dang loud, mostly. I've never heard a cat make a sound like that. I doubt any of your cats shriek like that. I would say for me it was like listening to a small child throwing a fit. Very unpleasant.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bemyonlyone

It's not that the cat is meowing for food. I honestly have never been bothered by a cat meowing. But this cat is extremely loud, and the sound of it just startled me. It was really unpleasant to listen to, and I don't think I could live with that every day. There's a difference between a normal meow and a meow that sounds like "you starve me, I never get anything to eat, save me!"

I don't know. I was bothered by it because it was so dang loud, mostly. I've never heard a cat make a sound like that. I doubt any of your cats shriek like that. I would say for me it was like listening to a small child throwing a fit. Very unpleasant.
Perhaps you haven't lived with a demanding Siamese. Our RB Nibs was so loud and demanding at feeding times that he regularly got whacked by his brother Gryphon, who didn't deal well with his drama.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
maybe I shouldn't be so annoyed. It just shocked me because I have honestly never been bothered by any cat meowing, not even my cousin's Siamese, who had a very loud, powerful meow. I always thought she sounded a bit like a cranky old lady, but I was never bothered. I don't know. this puzzles me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'll agree that the kitten in the video doesn't have the most pleasant of meows.
But when if you love a kitty you get used to it, heck you begin to love the meow in all it's whiny/scratchy/yowling/annoying glory.

Earlier my Tomas made a sound that resembled a chicken, cutest thing ever.

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure I wouldn't be bothered by most other cats. This cat was definitely an exceptional case. Even Xena hissing doesn't bother me as much as this cat's meow. Honestly, if I lived with that cat for any length of time, I would have to fight this urge to go right up to him, look right at him and say "SHHHHH! NO!"

I do believe that some cats have bad behavior. People complain about cats crying constantly or keeping them up at night. Excessive meowing is a problem, but this kind of meowing would prove problematic for me.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is something funny my siamese does not meow loud at all.....but Stormie has the loudest meow when it comes to feeding time, and midnight has loud meows period and he does the craziet noises too all the time, exspecially when he wants to play! But that cats meowing wasnt that bad at all ! Cats will be cats, and well cats like to play at night, I live with meows at night
its just cats being cats but then they do go to bed...and some cats are just talkers so I dont thinke exessive meowing is a bad behavior problem so to speak...thats all Stormie does is meow shes a talker and I dont see that as a problem at all...i talk with her and to her all the time!!!! But cats do get the oddest meows when its dinner time!!! or well play time even !!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My boy Tonka has a particularly annoying meow ... he literally brays like a donkey at times and at others, he honks like a goose. Needless to say, this isn't what I love waking up to at oh-God-thirty AM out of a sound sleep. *wink*

But (and this is a true story) one night, my girl Lexus and I were laying in bed, trying to sleep as Tonka was serenading us loudly with Tonka-song, Lex got up off the bed, went behind the door to my bedroom and walked it closed. She then got back up in bed, settled in underneath my arm, sighed and went to sleep. *smile*