Cat is licking paw after surgery.

kuuyku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, before you read, please note that this was not a full declaw. Makushin, is double-pawed and had 1 claw on each paw located between his additional digit and his regular digits. As he grew, I trimmed the 2 claws so they would not be a problem, eventually, however, I could no longer trim them because of skin overgrowth. If he did not have surgery, the claws would have grown back into his paw. It would have been inhumane not to do the procedure.

Anyways, the question is...

How do I prevent Makushin from licking his paw without putting one of those tramautizing cones around his neck - he is stressed out enough as is. He is not ultra-aggressive in his licking, but he is licking enough to cause concern. Also, he is on pain medication that will last for 3 days.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww poor little Makushin, how unusual, hopefully now its been removed he wont have any more 'nail' issues

I dont know much about this type of operation, but has the vet left it without a bandage on purpose ?

Its very difficult to stop a kitty from licking wounds etc.........so maybe if you rang to the vet to ask about a bandage for a short period. I also read something about a lotion that is bitter to taste but wont sting the wound.......but I cant remember what it was, sorry, again maybe the vet know ?

Give him some scritches from us

Keep us posted and I hope hes on the mend real quick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuuyku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There was a bandage over the IV spot, but only stitches and suture tape over the surgery spot. He tore off the IV bandage soon after he was less groggy from the anesthesia - about 2 hours after he came home. His paws were initially swollen and red, was not fun to watch him walk around
. Later that night, he was running around trying to be 'normal.'

I slept upstairs near his favorite sleep spot, but he curled up next to my head after his midnight exploring session. He is chipper this morning compared to yesterday, so that is a nice sign. Additionally, his wounds look better.

Aside from the left paw being shaved, I could not tell that he had surgery, but, for the right paw, which was imbeded into his paw more than the left, it irks me to look at still. They both have reduced in swelling - no oozing - and he lets me analyze them now without any hesitancy. So, as of right now, everything appears to be going well.

I will look up the lotion, thanks for the advice and good wishes.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kuuyku

Okay, before you read, please note that this was not a full declaw. Makushin, is double-pawed and had 1 claw on each paw located between his additional digit and his regular digits. As he grew, I trimmed the 2 claws so they would not be a problem, eventually, however, I could no longer trim them because of skin overgrowth. If he did not have surgery, the claws would have grown back into his paw. It would have been inhumane not to do the procedure.
From what it sounds like, Zoey has the same exact thing. I cant find the better pic I have but does it look like this?

'Thumbs' on each paw and a small nail/claw inbetween the thumb and the rest of the toes. She doesnt have any problems because of it though.

Did they only remove that one claw on each paw?

It's pretty hard to get them to stop licking without a cone. You could try distracting her every time you see her do it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuuyku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Same basic additional digit, but I could not see the claw and was cutting it blindly. Eventually, the scissors could not even fit into the area to trim the claw. Yes, they only removed one claw on each front paw. He did not have function of the claw either, he lacked the ligaments necessary for applicable use of the claw. Because of this, he will not incur any muscluar or skeletal atrophy.

He is as lively as ever today, and attacking the LCD screen as I type. Next question is, will he like his new playmate - nobody knows!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kuuyku

He is as lively as ever today, and attacking the LCD screen as I type. Next question is, will he like his new playmate - nobody knows!
great news he is back to normal...............so do tell about is new buddy
please feel free to include photos