9 week old kitten with Diarrhea

simon07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We purchased a kitten on 2-24-07 at a private pet store. The kitten was 8.5 weeks old. He has had his first set of shots (Panleukopenia, Rhinotracheitis, Calcivirus, Chlamydia) and was checked out by their vet. Their vet told the pet store to administer the wormer panacar. The pet store gave the kitten 1 extra dose beyond what the vet recommended. We were told by the pet store that he might have diarrhea for the next couple days because the the panacar. We took the kitten to our vet on 2-26-07. His tempature is normal, his stool was checked for worms and parasites (came back negative), and he was given a clean bill of health. This evening (2-27-07) our kitten had diarrhea. He isn't phased by it, is playing, running around, eating, and drinking. We are also wondering if the cat food could be the diarrhea culprit? The pet store recommended a kitten hard cat food that they have had him on-sensible choice. We have never heard of this kitten food and are concerned that his might not be the right kind of food for him. We are concerned and wonder if the vet should check him out again.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pet store should sell the food they are feeding and should have had u buy a bag at the adoption time... sensible choice kitten is a good premium food

What food are you feeding>>>??? yes a food change can cause this issue ...

Yes wormer can cause loose stools .... I am disturbed by them giving"1 more worming".. panacur is a common wormer but no one should go over the directions unless they are the vet

WELCOME to TCS

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently added wet food to my kitties diet and they had a bit of loose stool so it's a possibility. I've read plain yogurt is good but they both didn't like it so I just gave them butternut squash (baby food- I recommend Beech-nut). That's normally what I give them when they have a bit of upset tummy. You can try the pumpkin also (NOT the pie filling) found by other canned veggies at the supermarket. Otherwise, if your kitten continues with this for more than 2 days, you should take him to the vet. Make sure he gets plenty of fresh water.

I hope he gets well very soon!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my kittens had both loose and stinky stools the first few days after I brought her home. I think with her it was stress related. Cats, even kittens, often have a hard time with change.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, you made the mistake of getting the kitten out of a pet shop - one of the worse places (private shop or not).

If you haven't taken your kitten to your OWN vet, do so immediately. A 9 week old kitten with diarraha has NOTHING to fight with (body size) and it can quickly take the kitten downhill in a matter of days and you'll lose him.

The fact that the kitten was 8 weeks sitting in the pet shop means it was probably 4-6 weeks old when the shop got him. Kittens should be with their mothers/siblings for a MINIMUM of 10-12 weeks old. If this kitten survives and grows, you could have some social/behavior and house training issues later. The kitten hasn't even had time to really learn about living in a house. I don't if he came from a kitten mill or byb's house - but in either case, this little one probably has only know a cage for its entire life till now.

The kitten is under a lot of stress with changes - food, water and a new overwhelming house all add to the stress. Are you confiining the kitten to one or two rooms?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really might be a good idea to have him seen by your vet, just to make sure he's ok.

Please keep us updated on his condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simon07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Despite a little bump in the road, Simon's stool is coming out normal. He is still playing, running around, eating, drinking, and cleaning. As for purchasing him at the pet store at such an early age, my Fiance and I felt that he was ready for a home. We spent nearly 4 hours at the store playing with him and getting to know him. Both of us grew up with cats and a number of other animals in each of our house-holds. We were worried at how he was going to adjust being that he was 8.5 weeks old, but he jumped right in with both paws. There are no symptoms he misses his mother or siblings. Of course we have been playing and giving him lots of attention since we brought him, to help him adjust. We want to thank everyone for their help and concern.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by simon07

Despite a little bump in the road, Simon's stool is coming out normal. He is still playing, running around, eating, drinking, and cleaning. As for purchasing him at the pet store at such an early age, my Fiance and I felt that he was ready for a home. We spent nearly 4 hours at the store playing with him and getting to know him. Both of us grew up with cats and a number of other animals in each of our house-holds. We were worried at how he was going to adjust being that he was 8.5 weeks old, but he jumped right in with both paws. There are no symptoms he misses his mother or siblings. Of course we have been playing and giving him lots of attention since we brought him, to help him adjust. We want to thank everyone for their help and concern.
its not that he would miss his mother and siblings. its just that its not physically or mentally healthy for a kitten to be seperated from his mother that young. but theres nothing you can do about that now and im glad he is doing better

my cats both came from rescues and were seperated from their mothers very early also.