or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I need suggestions for names for my flower shop!!! Who wants to help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need suggestions for names for my flower shop!!! Who wants to help!

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Well, the time has arrived to start thinking about my future flower shop and all that goes along with it. I already have tons of prices/paper work and other things filled out. I am currently about to get my tax id number so that i can get into wholesalers,etc. To get my tax id number- i need to put down a shop name. Even though i don't have my shop yet- i will still have the name and be able to use it- it also copyrights my shop name so nobody else can take it i believe (i'm looking more into that). There are TONS of shops in Memphis, but not a ton in Bartlett (right down the road where we live) so my location will likely be Bartlett, or Cordova (owned by memphis city but right outside of bartlett- all of those cities are in the same county.) Anywhere- so Colin and I talked last night about money and things related to opening up my own shop. He's being soooo supportive and wonderful about everything. As of right now- we're looking at about 2 1/2 to 3 years before i will be able to get my shop so we have time to save up money. We want to be sure we're absolutely financially secure with everything before taking such a venture. So for now i'm getting my tax id number and shopping locations and other things By the time i'm ready to open i will have really done my homework and be prepared So here's where ya'll come in- i need suggestions for a shop name PLEASE please please throw out all the names/titles you can think of. Every idea will help. I will probably have to go throw the phonebook and rule out possabilities for my shop names depending on the other shops that already have their names. Here are some of the names that are already taken: (click the link then scroll down and keep clicking "next" those are only a fraction of the shops in the midsough. fortunatley though the locations i'm thinking about don't have any shops in the area so i won't have TOO much immediate competition)
http://www.locateaflowershop.com/states/TN/Memphis.asp

As of right now I REALLY REALLY like the name : Serenity Flowers for my shop. The "Serenity Prayer" has always been really special to me- so it just seems appropriate. I also LOVE Lilies so anything with lily in the title would be appropriate. Whatever suggestions ya'll can come up with - i would GLADLY appreciate it! Also- it doesn't have to be an English named shop- you could use different languages for suggestions as well in the title- for instance, my good friend Shawn opened up her shop a few years ago that i used to work at. She's Dutch and the entire shopping center is actually Dutch- so she named her shope Bloemengarden- it was just perfect for her. So all suggestions would be great! Thanks everyone! Also i probably won't want to use my name in the shop name but i'm open to suggestions. My first name is Lydia and my middle is Nichole.
post #2 of 30
Good luck with this. Serenity Flowers sounds nice. I can only come up with names that sound like RPG items though:

The Iron Cowl of Life Detection
The Golden Bouquet of Desolation and Languishing
The Golden Bouquet of Enchantment
The Enchanted Bouquet
The Enchanted Garden
The Golden Vase of Enlightening

That's actually got me thinking of some half-assed serious ideas

Heaven's Garden
Heaven's Bouquet
Heaven's Punishment
post #3 of 30
how about veggie killerz have to use the z to show how hip your shop is.
lol I like the name you picked already.

hmm, however i do kinda like, Flowers by Nikki.
post #4 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe View Post
Good luck with this. Serenity Flowers sounds nice. I can only come up with names that sound like RPG items though:

The Iron Cowl of Life Detection
The Golden Bouquet of Desolation and Languishing
The Golden Bouquet of Enchantment
The Enchanted Bouquet
The Enchanted Garden
The Golden Vase of Enlightening

That's actually got me thinking of some half-assed serious ideas

Heaven's Garden
Heaven's Bouquet
Heaven's Punishment

The Golden Bouquet of Desolation and Languishing
That one is awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
how about veggie killerz have to use the z to show how hip your shop is.
lol I like the name you picked already.

hmm, however i do kinda like, Flowers by Nikki.
lol veggie killerz- lol nice! Colin suggested "flowers by nikki" and my response to that was no so far simply because nikki is my nickname- and i want my shop to sound professional. A TON of people are already doing the whole "flowers by "so and so" thing so i was thinking i wanted something that stands out a bit more. I think my first name, Lydia sounds a bit more sophisticated if i were to use it for a flower shop. I dunno though! I guess i have a while to think about it! I'm glad you liked Serenity Flowers- my friends seem to like that one so far too. (I'm really glad to have some male imput on the topic too because flower shops always have a ton of male customers- so it's good to make sure it doesn't sound too girly or anything like that
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
flower shops always have a ton of male customers- so it's good to make sure it doesn't sound too girly or anything like that
In that case, call it,
the Make up flower shop, We sale only the best suck up, make up flowers in Tenn

hmmm,, cherry blossoms creations
but then i guess they would want you to have those
"i want my shop to sound professional" hmm by using your name, you are putting your stamp on it, and how you do business and react to the people that come in will tell more about your business then its name just my thinking
post #6 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
In that case, call it,
the Make up flower shop, We sale only the best suck up, make up flowers in Tenn

hmmm,, cherry blossoms creations
but then i guess they would want you to have those
"i want my shop to sound professional" hmm by using your name, you are putting your stamp on it, and how you do business and react to the people that come in will tell more about your business then its name just my thinking
Good point! Thanks / The cherry blossom name is cute but the thing with naming a shop after one specific flower though is many times people will EXPECT you to have that particluar flower in stock- and for a large part of the year- cherry blossoms are hard to find in most shops. So going with a flower that you can get all the time for instance: lily,
carnation ( I HATE carnations! long story..), roses and things of that nature won't be misleading because you will almost always have those in stock.) I'm leaning more towards a Dutch style shop with lots of gerber daisies, lilies, tulips- things of that nature and not so much greenery. I like to use unique things as filler- i'm not a huge fan of babys breath,millions star, or true love (all gypso. plants) i'd rather have my pieces stand out and be gorgeous in their own element than hide behind a bunch of nausiating greenery lol i'm picky

i do like your cherry blossom creation suggestion though...maybe instead of cherry blossom- lily blossom creations or something like that
post #7 of 30
Nikki, this all sounds so wonderful...I'm so excited for you!

Well, I had my own garden that was the brain-child of my son back at our previous home. I gave it a name that was inspired by something he said to me. He told me that he wanted to build me a place where I could just go & sit and be at peace. So, I called it ''My Peaceful Place''...I love the name and I loved that garden...it is truly the only thing I miss from our old home.

I'd suggest that you pick a name that truly expresses why you have this shop...what it means to you.

Good luck Nikki!
Hilda >^..^<
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Well, the time has arrived to start thinking about my future flower shop and all that goes along with it. I already have tons of prices/paper work and other things filled out. I am currently about to get my tax id number so that i can get into wholesalers,etc. To get my tax id number- i need to put down a shop name. Even though i don't have my shop yet- i will still have the name and be able to use it- it also copyrights my shop name so nobody else can take it i believe (i'm looking more into that).

I am NOT giving you legal advice, but getting a fed tax id (aka FEIN) does not "copyright" the name of your business. And unless you intend to have employees or you intend to operate your business as a corporation, LLC, partnership, you do not need to obtain an FEIN. In other words, if you intend to operate as a dba, you use your SSN as your tax ID.

If you operate as a dba, you will want to file a fictitious business name statement with the county where youre operating the business. That way you can "reserve" the name. If you intend to operate as a corporation or LLC or limited partnership, you will have to file with your state's secretary of state in order to "reserve" the entity name.

Sorry, my reply didnt answer your question.
post #9 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^< View Post
Nikki, this all sounds so wonderful...I'm so excited for you!

Well, I had my own garden that was the brain-child of my son back at our previous home. I gave it a name that was inspired by something he said to me. He told me that he wanted to build me a place where I could just go & sit and be at peace. So, I called it ''My Peaceful Place''...I love the name and I loved that garden...it is truly the only thing I miss from our old home.

I'd suggest that you pick a name that truly expresses why you have this shop...what it means to you.

Good luck Nikki!
Hilda >^..^<
Aww thanks Hilda / You know- you really should fix up a garden in your new place!! And if they're not much room- you can always do a container garden!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlaw View Post
I am NOT giving you legal advice, but getting a fed tax id (aka FEIN) does not "copyright" the name of your business. And unless you intend to have employees or you intend to operate your business as a corporation, LLC, partnership, you do not need to obtain an FEIN. In other words, if you intend to operate as a dba, you use your SSN as your tax ID.

If you operate as a dba, you will want to file a fictitious business name statement with the county where youre operating the business. That way you can "reserve" the name. If you intend to operate as a corporation or LLC or limited partnership, you will have to file with your state's secretary of state in order to "reserve" the entity name.

Sorry, my reply didnt answer your question.
Wow- great information! Thankyou soo much! This is all very new to me- so i need all the advice/help i can get! I really appreciate your imput! I want to get the tax id number so i can get into the wholesalers/ and other places (they require one for people in the floral industry) so that's the primary reason i wanted one there / I want to be the sole owner so i don't want it to be filed as a corproation or partnership but i still want to reserve the name so will i need to operate as a dba to do that so i can reserve the name? I'm making some phone calls this week to our local dpts here to find everything out. Thankyou soo much for all of the info-
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Aww thanks Hilda / You know- you really should fix up a garden in your new place!! And if they're not much room- you can always do a container garden!!
Nikki...

Not having enough room is not the problem...we have almost an acre and a half now! LOL! Thing is, its a 'wooded' or forested area and I don't wish to disturb the natural look of everything. I have neighbors here who have built lovely flowerbeds on their property but to me it just doesn't look right...it disturbs the natural woodland beauty. I've got lots of potted plants outdoors as well as indoors. Still, I love gardening and have my heart set on eventually building another garden here as well...but I really want to get a good feel of my environment before I do.

Hilda >^..^<
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Wow- great information! Thankyou soo much! This is all very new to me- so i need all the advice/help i can get! I really appreciate your imput! I want to get the tax id number so i can get into the wholesalers/ and other places (they require one for people in the floral industry) so that's the primary reason i wanted one there / I want to be the sole owner so i don't want it to be filed as a corproation or partnership but i still want to reserve the name so will i need to operate as a dba to do that so i can reserve the name? I'm making some phone calls this week to our local dpts here to find everything out. Thankyou soo much for all of the info-
While I know that you do not NEED an FEIN (which stands for a federal employer identification number) if you operate as a dba and you do not have employees, I am not certain whether you CAN, if you so choose to, get one. See http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=97872,00.html.

In some states such as CA, you can be a single member LLC (in other words, a limited liability company with one owner). Also, in states like CA, you can have one owner of a corporation (issue stock to only yourself). While you have the benefit of limiting your personal liability by operating your business as an LLC or a corp, there are tax consequences that you have to consider.
post #12 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^< View Post
Nikki...

Not having enough room is not the problem...we have almost an acre and a half now! LOL! Thing is, its a 'wooded' or forested area and I don't wish to disturb the natural look of everything. I have neighbors here who have built lovely flowerbeds on their property but to me it just doesn't look right...it disturbs the natural woodland beauty. I've got lots of potted plants outdoors as well as indoors. Still, I love gardening and have my heart set on eventually building another garden here as well...but I really want to get a good feel of my environment before I do.

Hilda >^..^<
You know -there are TONS of aweosme things you could add to enhance the natural feel of your backyard that won't disturb anything but will only add to its beauty. You might look into having your backyard certified as a natural backyard habitat for butterflies/hummingbirds and things of that nature- it doesn't take much to set it up as such- but when it's done it will be gorgeous and since it's already wooded- it would be the perfect envornment for animals to acclimate to and have a wonderful home out of! There are gorgeous plants you can add to attract butterflies and humminbirds that don't have to be planted in a huge garden setting but will instead go lovely along side the trees you already have. There are also many different styles of fountains/etc you can add to make it look nice!
post #13 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlaw View Post
While I know that you do not NEED an FEIN (which stands for a federal employer identification number) if you operate as a dba and you do not have employees, I am not certain whether you CAN, if you so choose to, get one. See http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=97872,00.html.

In some states such as CA, you can be a single member LLC (in other words, a limited liability company with one owner). Also, in states like CA, you can have one owner of a corporation (issue stock to only yourself). While you have the benefit of limiting your personal liability by operating your business as an LLC or a corp, there are tax consequences that you have to consider.

Thankyou once again!! Your info is more than helpfull! I really appreciate you taking time to fill me in on those things I am filing my taxes soon so while i'm there i'm going to ask about fees and things of that nature- i'm going to print off your suggestions and see what they say about them for the state of TN and what i need to do!
post #14 of 30
How about:

We Put the "F" in Flowers
We Put the "owe" in Flowers
We Put the "ow" in Flowers
We Put the "Flo" in Flowers
Flowers "backwards R" Us
Buy Our Flowers.com
Our Flowers are the Cheapest.org
Everyone Else's Flowers Aren't Nice
(or to be a little more edgy) Everyone Else's Flowers Suck

Okay screw that. Forget the flowers. Call it "Lydia & Lace" and open a lingerie shop.
post #15 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe View Post
How about:

We Put the "F" in Flowers
We Put the "owe" in Flowers
We Put the "ow" in Flowers
We Put the "Flo" in Flowers
Flowers "backwards R" Us
Buy Our Flowers.com
Our Flowers are the Cheapest.org
Everyone Else's Flowers Aren't Nice
(or to be a little more edgy) Everyone Else's Flowers Suck

Okay screw that. Forget the flowers. Call it "Lydia & Lace" and open a lingerie shop.
You're on a roll tonight! lol. I like the lingera shop idea! I'm a Victorias Secret addict I bet i could come up with some cute things and give them a run for their $...but i think i'll stick to flowers
post #16 of 30
Alright, call it "Lilies & Lace" to sell lingerie and flowers. Men will be able to kill two birds with one stone.
post #17 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe View Post
Alright, call it "Lilies & Lace" to sell lingerie and flowers. Men will be able to kill two birds with one stone.
At one of the shops i used to work at - we had an exclusive contract with a metal company out of texas. they sent us tons of cool wire things- reindeers for the holidays, baskets, storks, baby buggies, and get this- even bustieers! We made the most awesome designs out of those with our flowers and those sold soooooooo well for lingera parties/bachelorette parties and things like that -lol gotta love it
post #18 of 30
Yeah, that's quite a range of stuff!
post #19 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe View Post
Yeah, that's quite a range of stuff!
it's a really cool company! i'm trying to look them up to add to my list of design contacts so that when i have my shop i can order from them- they make AWESOME wire stuff. The bustieers and reindeer are my favorites though we got a bit creative with the wire lingera when we decorated it
post #20 of 30
Lilies Serene
Serene Lilies
Sunny Serenity
Sunflower Serenity
Petals Serene
Petal Serenity
Serenity Petals
Serenity Stems
Serenity Bouquets

Aliteration helps people remember your shop name, especially when there's competition. Here in Perrysburg, OH we basically have two local options: Ken's Flowers and The Flower Shop. Pretty simple but also generic as far as names go.

Good luck! Sounds like you have lots of time to think and consider your options.
post #21 of 30
How about calling your shop "Stalk Market"?
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by purefusion View Post

Serenity Petals
Ooooo, I like that one! Or 'Serenity Creations'...

Hilda >^..^<
post #23 of 30
Fantastic Florals
Floral Fantasies
Blooms
Buds and more
Buds and Blossoms
The Flowerpot
Flora and Mora

I am out of names now!
post #24 of 30
Puuurrrrfect Petals!

Hilda >^..^<
post #25 of 30
How about " Forever Flowers" "The Daisy Cart " "Nikki's Stems Galore"
" Nikki's Stems & More"
post #26 of 30
The name of one local shop that is really cool is called "Branching Out".
I operate my landscaping business as a sole propieter. I use my ss# as tax id but had to register with the state of WI dept of revenue to get my Seller's Permit. That along with the tax exempt forms gets me the wholesale prices.
But remember then you will be collecting sales tax from customers and submitting payment to the state. Did you contact SCORE (go on their website)!! I picked up various small business start up books-I can pm/email you the names that I found helpful. Lucky for me Neil is a CPA so he set up my "accounting" system. One thing I am not good at is keeping track of my miles. Did you set up a checking account???

name ideas:

Flowers A La Carte
Flowers & Design by ..........
Flowers of the field
Flowers and Gifts by .......
The flower shop and gallery
The flowersmith
The flower source
post #27 of 30
There's some really good suggestions so far. Here's some more:

Flower Face
Flower King
Flower Queen
Flowers! Flowers! Flowers!
Flower Power
Flowers Spelled Backwards is srewolF
post #28 of 30
No suggestions but we have a local one called "Barbara' Bloomers". Unfortunately I always think of underwear when I hear it.
post #29 of 30
I love Serenity Flowers... it sounds so nice!
post #30 of 30
We've got a giftshop here called Gilded Lily's, maybe you could use their name? They don't sell flowers but I often think they should...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I need suggestions for names for my flower shop!!! Who wants to help!