Garbage day...sympathy?!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sitting here procrastinating on TCS as it's garbage day. Does anyone else dread this day? Going around to all the garbages in the house, then having to do the 3 litter boxes and give them a thurough clean. Then going out in the cold with the lot of it.
Now we have green bin day at the same time, which requires that I clean my fridge of all the old veges and leftovers and put them in the green bin. So much to put out to the curbside.
sigh.......

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually take my trash out daily due to all the dog's "waste" in the yard to be cleaned up, so trash day ends up not being any different than the rest except pushing the carts to the alley.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I put excess garbage bags in the yard, all the racoons and possums will devour the bags!

Notice that I'm still logged in to TCS! Still haven't made the move.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, we have these large heavy plastic bins that the city provides for our trash, so no need for bags even. Just fill them up, and push them to the alley (they have wheels) for the truck with an arm to grab it and dump it into the truck.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH does most of the garbage duties. Though I have done my share too. I only dread it if the neighbors don't get theirs out! Or when they drive the whole neighborhood backwards at 6am!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can't wait for my BF to live with me. I'm sure he will help out with this

However, these days doing garbage is much like laundry. Everything has to be seperated into it's correct spots :paper recycling, food compost/green bin, aluminum, now wine bottles have to be seperated from recycling as there is a new refund policy at the liquor store.
I'm kind-of anal about all of this as I believe in it, however it's a lot of work! Can't wait to share the burden. I think my BF will be into it.

Out of curiousity for the USA members, what type of garbage and recycling programs do your States have set up?

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in North Texas, we also have a large heavy plastic garbage can for all of the recycle items, ie: glass, cans, plastic. We bundle up the newspapers and wood items separate, and all of this is picked up 2x/month.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsRNmom

Here in North Texas, we also have a large heavy plastic garbage can for all of the recycle items, ie: glass, cans, plastic. We bundle up the newspapers and wood items separate, and all of this is picked up 2x/month.
We basically have the same. But now there is a new thing called the green bin. It's actually a great idea. Basically all our decompossing garbage ie. leftovers, scooped litter, diapers, plant clippings,. is put in another bin that gets picked up weekly. The sacrifice is that regular garbage is now picked up only twice a month. This forces people to get rid of smelly garbage in the green bin. In an ideal world, folks at home would follow the rules so the garbage would never smell. However, certain individuals don't follow the program and the garbage inevitably stinks.

I finally put out all the garbage, etc.! Yeah!!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

Out of curiousity for the USA members, what type of garbage and recycling programs do your States have set up?
It varies tremendously based on where you live. You are basically stuck with whatever garbage disposal company works in your area and if they choose not to do recycling, you pack them up yourself and drive to a recycling center. We've been doing that for about 15 years now. We compost our own vegetative matter in our yard and use it for the garden.

Most larger metro areas have some level of recycling. My mom used to put her trash in one can and all of her recyclables into a bin. The collector separated the recycles on their end. My sister has separate bins for each type of recycles that her company takes.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's silly, but I hate garbage night too. My husband and I try to trade off duties because we both dislike it. For me it's mostly taking it out to the street - it's so cold!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Tennessee - things are WEIRD
In Memphis- where i was living with my mom- we had a huge green garbage can you have to roll out to the curb for them to pick up and a manilla colored recycling bin you could put just about anything in- that was SOOOO easy!

But since i've moved in with my boyfriend in Bartlett, TN (down the street from the memphis city limits) they don't do crap. All they do is pick up trash. We put ours out thursday night because they come early friday mornings. Other than that they don't pick up recycling at all- we take it to the recycling facilities ourselves. We have to sort everything out at home (we have 3 different trash cans) and then once or twice a month we put all of our recyclable things in the back of the truck then take them to the recycling center. It sure would be nice if we had recycling pick up out here. As far as taking the trash out though- i don't see what the big deal is
It takes like two seconds and keeps the house from smelling foul. I take it out all the time- doesn't bother me