The biggest cat I have ever seen

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have finally seen a liger
. I was watching National Geographic Channel yesterday and they had this program on about lions and tigers. At the end they showed footage of a liger. All I can say is WOW!! They are HUGE. It showed a liger standing next to a Siberian tiger that weighed about 600 pounds. The tiger looked like a domestic cat next to the liger. The liger they showed is only 3 years old but its currently 12 feet from the tip of its nose to the tip of its tail, stands 4 feet tall at the shoulder and weighs 975 pounds and its still growing
!!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

I have finally seen a liger
. I was watching National Geographic Channel yesterday and they had this program on about lions and tigers. At the end they showed footage of a liger. All I can say is WOW!! They are HUGE. It showed a liger standing next to a Siberian tiger that weighed about 600 pounds. The tiger looked like a domestic cat next to the liger. The liger they showed is only 3 years old but its currently 12 feet from the tip of its nose to the tip of its tail, stands 4 feet tall at the shoulder and weighs 975 pounds and its still growing
!!!
Wow! I have never heard of a liger but I am going to go on the internet right now and look for a picture of one!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think they had one at this place in Myrtle Beach, like a crocdile place or something, but anyhoo, it was huge!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The large size is due to hybrid growth dysplasia - a mismatch of the genes from 2 different species which can cause them to not stop growing at the usual age of either one of the parent species. It's a bit sad really, as there is a high rate of mortality amongst newborns, health problems in adults, and a high rate of blindness. It is also thought that they inherit the need to live in a social group from the lion parent, and a desire for a solitary existence from the tiger, which is believed to cause them confusion and depression.

I think deliberate breeding of these hybrids is really very unethical