Candles/cats.......

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are all the time getting their tails in my candles!
Thats such a yummy smell,lol. Do your cats do this?? I mean they do it and dont even know it......goofy cats they are.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whoa! If your cats are getting their tails in candles (and from the sound of your post it has happened more than once), you may need to reconsider where you are putting your candles. That sounds quite dangerous
What if they burn themselves, get startled, and knock a candle over and it catches fire?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spunky does this. DOesn't matter where the candle is. I think he likes to sit next to the warmth.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put my candles in totally enclosed glass or metal containers (have solid or almost solid sides-small holes only, if it's not, with a vented metal top) so that my cats can't do this, as a long haired cat (especially) and fire could prove deadly, not just for the cat, but for everyone in the house. Invest in these containers before you light your candles again, please
. I'll post a pic when I get a chance, so you know what I'm talking about.

Any candles that don't have a top, are completely enclosed on the sides (this includes the flame) and are hanging on the wall, way above where my cat can get to them

Oh, forgot to say, I also have a candle warmer for one of my favorite large jar candles- it's on the mantle where the cats can't get, and has no flame for them to get to even if they managed.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

My cats are all the time getting their tails in my candles!
Thats such a yummy smell,lol. Do your cats do this?? I mean they do it and dont even know it......goofy cats they are.
Since we got Persi, we never burn any candles except the ones where the wick is completely surrounded by a glass container. This way they cannot accidently get their tails into the flame.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep lit candles out of reach from the kits. Ususally on the mantel of the fireplace (they can't get to it), and I never leave a lit candle unattended. If I need to leave the room only for a minute, I blow it out and re-light it when I return. I am REALLY over cautious about fire, after my house burned down 3 yrs. ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

Spunky does this. DOesn't matter where the candle is. I think he likes to sit next to the warmth.
Yup!! Mine too!! I had one sitting on the kitchen counter the other day and Lucky was eating and got too close......and I smelled something...she didnt even know it!!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have candles we just rarely lite them and when we do my mom has some in glass or what not and the ones that come in the jars and everything smell really good with out lighting them and when we do light candles which is rare we never leave their site and I know where all the kits are at all times and the only one that really cars about the candles is stormie and she lays a distance from them and just stares at them and goes to sleep I am such a catios meowmy what can I say so candle burning rarely takes place here and also we have dogs so the candles always have to be up high because 2 HUGE labs and well their tails are deadly

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love candles but I always worry about the cats so I dont light them that often, or I lite the jar ones where the wick is deep down so the cats cant get into it as easily.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't burn candles anymore, unless the power is out. nabu isn't the brightest bulb on the tree, and will stick his nose so close to the candle that he's singed his whiskers. we don't do candles anymore.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haveyou triedthose electric candle warmers? They work just as well as lighting them and the candles last a lot long which saves $$ in the long run!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Haveyou triedthose electric candle warmers? They work just as well as lighting them and the candles last a lot long which saves $$ in the long run!
I have one. I do use it.......but I also like to burn my candles
Most the time they are up where they cant reach them, but then again, sometimes they just manage to find them...lol.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the only place I trust one is on top of the refrigerator. None of my cats can make a freestanding 5.5 foot jump, so that area is off limits.

Pixel sniffed one once and singed her whiskers. I thought (incorrectly) that she would NOT do that again, but she did - the very next day. So I'm extra careful now.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Yeah, the only place I trust one is on top of the refrigerator. None of my cats can make a freestanding 5.5 foot jump, so that area is off limits.

Pixel sniffed one once and singed her whiskers. I thought (incorrectly) that she would NOT do that again, but she did - the very next day. So I'm extra careful now.
Yes I have also had them do that....burn the whiskers.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rocket seems to think anything that's fire like is fun to stick his nose into.
So candles have been banned from the house. If someone gives me a candle, it usually sits somewhere because I can't light it. (Not that I don't love candles, I just love my cats more.)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also won't have lit candles around the cats unless it is an enclosed holder. It's much too dangerous for both the cats and our home.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

That is all that I use, I love them

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

I love candles but I always worry about the cats so I dont light them that often, or I lite the jar ones where the wick is deep down so the cats cant get into it as easily.
Same thing here!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have 1 candle lit at a time and I put it in a high place where the cats never go and stay in the same room to supervise. If I leave the room, I ask DH to watch the candle, carry it with me, or blow it out. When Emily was a kitten she singed her whiskers on a candle once and I felt so bad.