Dr. D Claw is going to the Vet today... and a small update

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are off to the Vet today to start some initial testing on the fur pulling issues. I've changed his diet, gotten rid of his fleas, and he's still doing it. Keep us in your thoughts.

I'd also like to give a small update about him here too. This boy is a trouper. He's running around and playing, in fact, we played fetch last night right before I went to sleep. He's jumping into my lap and asking for love. He also has claimed a spot on the bed.

Every now and then he'll walk past the kitty toy chest and look inside it. He'll then give me this happy look as if to say, "Are these for me?! I can play now?!"

He'll then run with a mouse and play with it for hours.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwww
what a precious boy! lots of vibes for some answers at the vets!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That little fur boy is thanking his lucky stars that you came into his life!

Lots of good vibes for the vet visit - he may simply be pulling out of habit now, got used to doing it and doesn't know how to stop yet. I'm sure that with the love you're showering on him that he'll get past it soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

That little fur boy is thanking his lucky stars that you came into his life!

Lots of good vibes for the vet visit - he may simply be pulling out of habit now, got used to doing it and doesn't know how to stop yet. I'm sure that with the love you're showering on him that he'll get past it soon.
He's also earned a few nick names along the way: Baby Blue (for his eyes), The motley one (because of his coat), and crabby pants (his meow can level a building it's so loud).

The first night all I could do was cry, now he makes me laugh because he's a bit goofy too!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds as if he's become a wonderful addition to your family

If he checks out healthwise, it could be something that's developed into a habit, as GingersMom says. Pulling out hair by the root releases endorphines (natural painkillers) which you can become addicted to, and it can become a difficult cycle to break. If there are no health issues, a behaviourist may be able to offer some solutions.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

He sounds as if he's become a wonderful addition to your family

If he checks out healthwise, it could be something that's developed into a habit, as GingersMom says. Pulling out hair by the root releases endorphines (natural painkillers) which you can become addicted to, and it can become a difficult cycle to break. If there are no health issues, a behaviourist may be able to offer some solutions.
That's a good point. I'll bring that up at the vet today.

Oh, I just checked his vet records from his previous owners. They said he had some peeing outside the box issues. I'm wondering if that was stress induced too. He's never missed the mark for the time he's been here.

koukou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Charlie pulls the fur out on his belly and back legs... he was 1/2 bald once. The vet did numerous tests, biopsies and blood tests and all came back OK. He was a stray and nervous when we found him so the vet and I agreed that it was more than likely be due to him being stressed. He has feliway diffusers upstaiirs and down and we give him lots of reassurance and love. He's stopped doing it for now but if it comes back the vet suggested maybe a low dose anti depressant which I am not keen on.

I hope you get some answers at the vets....Charlie has his claws crossed for you.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great that he's fitting in ok. He sounds like such a nice boy.
How do you teach a cat to fetch? None of our cats do that. Although they like to play soccer. I love how you named all of your kitties and hope that the vet visit will be productive and give you some good tips.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cassi had developed the habbit of hair pulling and over grooming.
Former feral, stuck in a shelter cage, I totally understand, stress first, then habitual.

We finally broke her by putting soft paws on all 4 feet and dressing her in newborn infant shirts to keep her from doing it.
About a month like that broke her.

Good luck with Dr. Claw, hopefully he can be broken of this easily, and before he starts creating sores as Cassi had.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck at the vets! I hope it all goes well
I'm so glad he's settled in so well and seems to be having so much fun! It's wonderful he's claimed a bed spot as well, he obviously knows he's onto a good thing now!

How's Scratch reacting towards him now?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Good luck at the vets! I hope it all goes well
I'm so glad he's settled in so well and seems to be having so much fun! It's wonderful he's claimed a bed spot as well, he obviously knows he's onto a good thing now!

How's Scratch reacting towards him now?
With the Feliway he's doing much better. The only time Scratch hissed at him is when Dr. Claw got inbetween he and his food. To me, that was understandable. Scratch is a very food driven kitty.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

With the Feliway he's doing much better. The only time Scratch hissed at him is when Dr. Claw got inbetween he and his food. To me, that was understandable. Scratch is a very food driven kitty.
Oh yeah I know the reaction, and Scratch's reaction is completely understandable as well. That's great that there's been no tiffs

What time is his appointment?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Oh yeah I know the reaction, and Scratch's reaction is completely understandable as well. That's great that there's been no tiffs

What time is his appointment?
3:45... it would have to snow the day I take my somewhat bald kitty to the vet wouldn't it?
I'll have to wrap him in a blanket again.